Freddie Ljungberg is at the wheel

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by THunter, Jun 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark Tobias

Mark Tobias Mr. Agreeable

Would actually be a decent project if they do it right. I'm all for blooding the youth if there is a real plan behind it with goals set in place.

2. arsenefc

arsenefc Obsessed With Guendouzi

with iwobi as captain

3. Mrs Bergkamp

Mrs Bergkamp Well-Known Member

Sapient Hawk likes this.
  4. MutableEarth

MutableEarth Bloody awesome NSFW avatars Trusted

This is a very good move for us IMO.

Ljungberg has shown an intelligence and aptitude for tactics and coaching that I didn't see coming. Have seen his U23 team in the flesh and on the lappy quite a few times this season and while he had a decent pool of talent at points, the work he did with several individuals as well as the collective was noticeable and impressive.

There was a structure to the build up but it was heavily predicated on movement and positioning as well as technique. Something sorely lacking in the first team currently. He used the pacy players very well, and increased their use of that pace by improving their movement off the ball - Saka and Amaechi most notably. A number of players had an easier time of passing because of the way moves were structured - Sheaf, Gilmour, Willock, Olayinka and others enjoyed strong seasons due to this. If there was a criticism I had, it was that the defense took an awful long time to get used to his tactics and conceded a lot during the middle part of the season, but once they did, we looked a lot more solid - particularly Danny Ballard, a centre-back who's making a case for himself as our most underrated prospect.

I also think it might be a good move giving Bould the U23 role. Let's not forget that the 2009 Youth Cup+U18PL winning team was managed by Bould. It may just be the best use of his coaching.

Ljungberg promotion could see a small handful of players being given opportunities. Willock, Saka and Amaechi are just some that experienced a steep improvement under Ljungberg's tutelage. Could see more.

5. tap-in

tap-in Nothing Wrong With Me

What does Bould even do! He's been with us for about the same length of time as our defence has been sh1t. There must be a connection!

Tourbillion likes this.
  6. Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast CIES Loyalist

They lost Balotelli, Seri and Alassane Plea, doing nothing to replace them.

What Vieira did was form a solid defensive team. They were Arsenalesque the previous season, giving up 52 goals. This season they matched PSG's total with 35 goals allowed (only Lille gave up less).

I'd love to see him manage Arsenal someday myself.

7. Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast CIES Loyalist

Hey, he played for the Seattle Sounders! :p

Makingtrax likes this.
  8. Jae

Jae Well-Known Member

Looks like we'll definitely be promoting some youth players this year then! About time!

9. Makingtrax

Makingtrax Arséne Wenger once said "I will miss you"

Would
    Vierra no 1, Arteta and iPad his assistant . . . dream team.

Slartibartfast likes this.
  10. BaZZe

BaZZe Bitterswede

Nice to see Fredde getting rewarded for his good work woth the academy.

11. krengon

krengon One Arsene Wenger Trusted

12. L3T5 PL4Y

L3T5 PL4Y Flair Accuser

Who the girl in your avatar bruh? Bmt beautiful.

13. BaZZe

BaZZe Bitterswede

It's our very own Ms. Arsenal Leah Williamson, CB for our women's team.

Football Manager and L3T5 PL4Y like this.
  14. Red London

Red London Well-Known Member

This is fantastic news, I hope this was done to best make use of our academy, Ljunberg can hopefully fast track some players into the first team. Might stop Amaechi from leaving maybe ? Let’s see

Tourbillion likes this.
  15. L3T5 PL4Y

L3T5 PL4Y Flair Accuser

She is a stunnah alrite.

16. OnlyOne

OnlyOne Short man Syndrome

17. Tourbillion

Tourbillion Angry 24/7

?

18. El Duderino

El Duderino 99 Problems But A Mitch Ain't One

It's official

https://www.arsenal.com/news/developing-our-young-players-key-appointments

Aevi and BobP like this.
  19. THunter

THunter NOT In A Caravan Trusted

That whole piece is very, very promising.

Looks like there’s a clear pathway now, just need a coach in place who’ll give these lads a chance rather than playing players who have no future here.

20. Sanchez11's ghost

Sanchez11's ghost Superior Journalist To Charles Watts

Im liking this new youth project.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.