Freddie Ljungberg is named as interim manager

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by THunter, Jun 4, 2019.

1. scytheavatar

scytheavatar Well-Known Member

Ljungberg was the hardest worker of the Invincibles and his presence was what that enabled Henry, Bergkamp and Pires to shine........ you don't win matches with the best players, you win them with the best team. And all the attacking players need to be supported by water carriers who can defend and work hard for 90 minutes. The fact that we have forgotten about this is precisely why we are in our current deep s***.

2. WhiteArse

WhiteArse New Member

more like Gollum.

3. Mark Tobias

Mark Tobias Mr. Agreeable

That's great. Hard work in your playing career doesn't instantly translate to success in your managerial career.
    Even Freddie Ljungberg wouldn't pick Freddie Ljungberg for the Arsenal role in 2019..

4. Vanpayslip

Vanpayslip Active Member

The manager won’t dismantle the squad though. It isn’t up to the manager. Senior management might not want to sell if all players or might not be able to due to contracts.

Like I said, completely different situation between Ole and Freddie and completely different intentions between what Manchester United’s Board want and what Arsenal’s Board want. The team that Ole has is no relation to what SAF left. The team Arsenal have is more or less Wenger’s team with a couple of additions plus a youth player rota from a system he set up.

5. Riou

Riou Well-Known Member

Fredrik played for Arsenal between 1998-2007, and was a starter for most of it...one of the greatest periods in our clubs great history, and Freddie definitely contributed his part in that...I can understand having doubts with Freddie as a manager, this is his first job really, but he was a brilliant little player for us...after losing Pires in 2002 we needed someone to step up, and step up Ljungberg did...without his run of form, you could argue we wouldn’t have won the double that year...he nearly scored in 3 FA Cup finals in a row, got a technical assist in 2003...played a huge part in us getting to our only Champions League final, by playing as a tactical central midfielder really well...and how many big games did he score in for us...he also played in a quality international team, look at the players that Sweden team had and Freddie was still one of, if not their best.

Freddie wasn’t some scrub we signed after putting an add on teletext, he was a quality big game player for The Arsenal...shocked any Arsenal fan would think otherwise.

6. Trilly

Trilly The John Cross of Ilford

Still in shock at his first ever lineup. Think I'm adopting a new zero tolerance approach to managers. #FreddieOut

7. Riou

Riou Well-Known Member

Was such a horrible team, literally sucked the life out of me more than any Emery team selection had, as I was so positive up to kick off :lol:

Genuinely thought we would be seeing Pepe and one of Gabby/Saka/Nelson wide, then we got zero of that...even our legends can’t let the fans have nice thing these days!

We did play better at least, hoping for a better team on Thursday.

Tourbillion, Trilly and Hexagon9 like this.
  8. Manberg

Manberg Well-Known Member

Most of our other legends have had a terrible time at being manager. Adams, Henry, Merson, Campbell etc. All failing or have failed. Jury’s still out on Vieira.
    Hoping Freddie bucks the trend.

Hexagon9 likes this.
  9. Mark Tobias

Mark Tobias Mr. Agreeable

History is littered with people who had a stellar playing career but never made it anywhere as managers. Not an easy career path..

10. Riou

Riou Well-Known Member

11. berric

berric Well-Known Member

Did they really ask him about a suit during the conference? :lol:

12. Highbury_2006

Highbury_2006 Village Idiot

So Clovis is trashing Freddie after one game.

Mod Edit: no personal attacks

13. krackpot

krackpot Well-Known Member

Wenger's words:D

Hexagon9 and Riou like this.
  14. GoonerJeeves

GoonerJeeves Up The Terriers

berric likes this.
  15. Highbury_2006

Highbury_2006 Village Idiot

It seems like he wasnt asked about his backroom staff. I guess it was more important to ask about something the guy who was sacked by Oldham didnt like.

16. berric

berric Well-Known Member

17. field442

field442 Hates Journalists Named James

I think he won’t be getting any unless they can’t get a manager for now. They said we’d hear about his backroom staff on Saturday latest Sunday but all they did was let him have Per, someone who can easily go back to his old job. It seems a bit pointless letting him get together a team of people when he might only have them for a few months/weeks and then he’ll go back to doing his old job where they’re not needed.

18. SingmeasongSong

SingmeasongSong Rarely Right

I see a lot of potential there, would make sense so give him at least that season, if there's no remarkable option available, which to me, feels more like Poch, Rodgers or nothing - both pretty much out of the picture.

Very fortunate to get that chance in the first place, very unfortunate to get it in such a mess - whatever way you wanna put it..

krackpot, BaZZe and Riou like this.
  19. field442

field442 Hates Journalists Named James

on his involvement in potential January signings…
    I’m going on a match by match time now so there’s nothing that I will get involved in. I think we have a very good squad but it’s up to the big bosses of the club in regards to what they want to do.

Doesn’t sound like they’ve told him he’s getting the rest of the season.

20. pigge

pigge Well-Known Member

I dont think this is enough to judge that. You wouldnt want an interim manager to Splash money in january whomever it is. You should buy player that fit the vision of the club or if something great comes Up.

BaZZe likes this.