• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Freddie Ljungberg

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
you are seriously underrated Pires if you are putting him at the same level as Freddie.

Hleb didn’t hit his peak until 2007-2008, but even he looked better than Freddie in 2005-2006 and 2006-2007 when Freddie was supposedly in his peak years.

He joined West Ham at this prime age of 30. That says everything that needs to be said. He was never a top player. Not even close

More :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: for some good measure.

Freddie was superb player for us, verging on world class during 2002-2004 period.

But he didn't feature much in 2005-06 (injuries), even less so in our CL run to the Final. I remember people were surprised and shocked that he started the Final ahead of Reyes, but that's another discussion.

Freddie was well past his peak/prime performance/years when he left for West Ham.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Tbh even the issue of Lacazette and Auba is one made by the board. How much were we offered for Alexis in the summer before he was sold, 50-70M?

I mean ****, if we wanted Auba that much we could have easily got him instead of Lacazette.

TheEconomist

Established Member
I think it goes to show how much fitness and coaching has changed in the last 15 years. Back in 2005 Freddie at 30 was on the decline, as were most players of that age. Nowadays 30 is probably when your expect someone to be in their prime

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
please don’t beat around the bush.

explain why a top player like Freddie went to West Ham at the age of 30?

why didn’t top teams in Europe line up to get their hands on this elite player who still had 3-4 prime years left?

Freddie did play for a top team in Europe in his prime years, he played for us!

Did you watch Arsenal back then...in Freddie’s last season at Arsenal you could tell he was declining and was ravaged by injuries, no top side was gonna take him then.

Man, posting Smileys won’t change the fact that a so called “top player” joined West Ham in his peak..

The invincibles only had 6 world class players. Henry, Bergkamp, Pires, Vieira, Cole and Sol. Everyone else was in the lower bracket and was carried by the 6 superior players.

that is why the likes of Freddie etc we’re finished at the top level once that side broke apart. Players like him were to make look better than they actually were because of the system..

That middle paragraph is so disrespectful to the starting 11, and the squad...no one was “carried” then, everyone played their part, even if some were better than others, it was a top squad.

Gilberto, Lehmann, Toure, Lauren, Edu, Keown, Reyes, Parlour, Wiltord, Kanu, Freddie...yeah, definitely players that were carried during their Arsenal careers, didn’t contribute anything...bunch of wastemen really... :facepalm:

Last edited:

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Played himself out of getting the job long-term. I feel for him in this position, but he has left himself wide open with the team selections

mpower2540

His playing career has nothing to do with it anyway. Discrediting him as a player is just downright nasty/stupid and done as a reaction to his underwhelming start as a coach.

I loved Ljungberg as a player, goal scorer, superb finisher, worked hard, tenacious and despite his size he was never bullied or intimidated, he was also very very fast. None of our current players could hold a candle to him.

Underhill

please don’t beat around the bush.

explain why a top player like Freddie went to West Ham at the age of 30?

why didn’t top teams in Europe line up to get their hands on this elite player who still had 3-4 prime years left?
Because of his infury problems that effectively ended his career as a top player. 3-4 prime years left? Are you nuts? Do you think Diaby have 3-4 prime years left?

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
James Gunnerblog had a nice article today.

The ending was well put

......Arsenal now face a quandary: do they act swiftly to appoint a manager who can stop the bleeding, or set about a diligent process to ensure they get the right man — even if it means delaying until the end of the season. When Arsenal appointed Wenger, they were so convinced by the strength of his candidacy they waited months for his arrival. With things deteriorating as rapidly as they are, that may be too great a risk.

The focus is turning on the Kroenkes and those they entrust with running the club, particularly head of football Raul Sanllehi. Fans are raging with that executive team, who in turn might well be feeling somewhat aggrieved. After all, in the last six months they have sought to give supporters what they want. When Arsenal fans called for signings in the summer, they got them. When they demanded Granit Xhaka’s removal as captain, they got that too. When they called for Özil to be recalled, he was. When they demanded Emery’s head, the axe eventually fell.

The fans felt no real affinity for Emery, so Arsenal responded by appointing the iconic Ljungberg, as Josh Kroenke waxed lyrical about his “Arsenal DNA”. Since Arsenal’s Europa League final defeat in Baku, it has felt as if the club has been governed as much by the supporters whims as any kind of definitive strategy. Arsenal have stumbled about in pursuit of approval, always one clumsy step behind fan sentiment. A London club should know better than to rule by referendum.

Arsenal’s malleability is misguided. You don’t win the respect of the fans be acceding to their demands. You do it by showing you know better.

The modern Arsenal was built on bold decisions no supporter would have taken. No Arsenal fan called for the appointment of Wenger, nor the signing of Patrick Vieira. No Arsenal fan thought they should replace Nicolas Anelka with Thierry Henry, or that Kolo Toure would make for a title-winning centre-half.

The most successful periods in Arsenal’s history, from the thirties through to Wenger’s teams, can be attributed to the visionaries who dared make decisions others wouldn’t. At this precarious point in their timeline, Arsenal need to remember what once made them great. Brighton’s appointment of Graham Potter showed courage and ambition. Arsenal could do worse than to follow suit.

Arsenal need strong leadership more than ever. If the Kroenkes were truly ambitious, they would not be preoccupied with placating fans — they would be putting their own plans for success into action. Arsenal’s owners are obsessed with fruitlessly chasing popularity when they should be chasing trophies. Stop saying the right thing, and do the right thing. Their best and perhaps only chance of staving off full-scale rebellion is to be bold and decisive, identify the man to arrest the slump, and stand or fall by that decision.

Arsenal can not be allowed, surely, to fall any further.

DasBootist

Played himself out of getting the job long-term. I feel for him in this position, but he has left himself wide open with the team selections
Why do certain posters recycle the 'played himself out of the job' rhetoric?

He has managed 2 games, one of which he only had a couple of days to prepare for. Every manager makes mistakes, so it's important Ljungberg learns from his.

As I have stated on here before, it's too soon to write him off. I only hope he drops Luiz and plays Pepe

Last edited:

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Kane and vardy are vastly superior strikers to auba, auba only matches them on scoring. Drill into the stats on headers, assists etc.

Whether they are superior or inferior is irrelevant, my point is we are playing OUR best CF on the wing and other teams don't do that.

truth_hurts

Why do certain posters recycle the 'played himself out of the job' rhetoric?

He has managed 2 games, one of which he only had a couple of days to prepare for. Every manager makes mistakes, so it's important Ljungberg learns from his.

As I have stated on here before, it's too soon to write him off. I only hope he drops Luiz and plays Pepe

Okay si you think he will pick up a large amount of points in our up coming fixtures vs the likes of Chelsea, City and United and get us back in contention for top 4? If you don't, then you're being contrary for the sake of it.

Freddie won't be getting the job long term.

DasBootist

Okay si you think he will pick up a large amount of points in our up coming fixtures vs the likes of Chelsea, City and United and get us back in contention for top 4? If you don't, then you're being contrary for the sake of it.

Freddie won't be getting the job long term.
If you can state the above with certainty after 2 games, you're a better man than I

truth_hurts

If you can state the above with certainty after 2 games, you're a better man than I

Finally, we agree on something. Good ebening and good night.

Out of interest though, paint a scenario for me where Freddie gets offered the job.

DasBootist

Finally, we agree on something. Good ebening and good night.

Out of interest though, paint a scenario for me where Freddie gets offered the job.
I don't believe Freddie will end up as long-term manager of Arsenal. He's too inexperienced for the job, and the same applied to Emery in spite of his Europa League triumphs(let me qualify that by inexperienced I mean for a club of our standing).

I have no expectations for the current season, so all I want is for Freddie to rack up points against lower placed teams and to play accordingly against the top six clubs. If we can make up the gap between us and Chelsea or whichever club is 4th by May, I would be pleasantly surprised.

OSBK

Established Member
Whether they are superior or inferior is irrelevant, my point is we are playing OUR best CF on the wing and other teams don't do that.

You mean our best goalscorer not CF, stats dont lie. I actually agree auba needs to play in the CF position but i would also argue if we stick him there i dont think it would actually make a huge amount of difference. He has played there alot this season and his goal ratio hasnt been massively different and christ we have been just as crap with him or laca up front.

I would say our best route forward is to drop laca and play martinelli just off auba. Martinelli has more CF qualities than auba. Going back to last night and willock as a 10 then upfront with laca, martinelli can play that role and would compliment auba better.

No matter what we do we gotta do something.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
You mean our best goalscorer not CF, stats dont lie. I actually agree auba needs to play in the CF position but i would also argue if we stick him there i dont think it would actually make a huge amount of difference. He has played there alot this season and his goal ratio hasnt been massively different and christ we have been just as crap with him or laca up front.

I would say our best route forward is to drop laca and play martinelli just off auba. Martinelli has more CF qualities than auba. Going back to last night and willock as a 10 then upfront with laca, martinelli can play that role and would compliment auba better.

No matter what we do we gotta do something.

I agree, the issue isn't Laca, its playing Laca & Auba. I have said in other posts that my preferred attack is Martinelli Auba Pepe with Özil behind. That front 3 all have pace, unlike Laca, so they can be more fluid in attack, Martinelli & Pepe cutting in, Auba drifting out.

Top Bottom