• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Freddie Ljungberg

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Writing was on the wall the way the board/management set him up to fail with no staff and giving him a taste of management. He was always going to leave. Love him, top man and servant to the club. Thanks Freddie!

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Excellent interview. One of my favourite players Freddie, he got a lot of stick back in the day for his underwear modelling and just being foreign, but underneath all that he always had a certain steel and determination about him.

I hope his coaching/managerial career goes from strength to strength, his work with our U23s was excellent with both our most recent managers benefiting from it.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
My biggest regret with Arsenal, isn't the state of the club now...it's that era not winning the Champions League they would have deserved.

From 2002-2005, we either won the league, or finished 2nd and won the cup...we were such a great team.

If we could have rounded that 5 year period of, by winning the Champions League in 2006...then I wouldn't really mind how average we are now, tbh.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

My biggest regret with Arsenal, isn't the state of the club now...it's that era not winning the Champions League they would have deserved.

From 2002-2005, we either won the league, or finished 2nd and won the cup...we were such a great team.

If we could have rounded that 5 year period of, by winning the Champions League in 2006...then I wouldn't really mind how average we are now, tbh.

I think that's the case for all of us who were there back then.

Had Eto'o been judged offside (as he truly was) we would've seen out the match & Wenger's first decade would've truly been the likes of which English football had never seen. A crowning moment of glory for a genius who had been derided the moment he touched down in London from Japan, vindicated by his long-term vision & aims for the club.

Had that happened, the slog from 2006-2014 would've been taken on the chin with good grace by a lot more than those of us who did not sour until the summer of 2015.

GoonerJay24

Had Eto'o been judged offside (as he truly was) we would've seen out the match & Wenger's first decade would've truly been the likes of which English football had never seen. A crowning moment of glory for a genius who had been derided the moment he touched down in London from Japan, vindicated by his long-term vision & aims for the club.

Had that happened, the slog from 2006-2014 would've been taken on the chin with good grace by a lot more than those of us who did not sour until the summer of 2015.

This era was Wenger's biggest achievement. He said that himself.

Sapient Hawk

Trusted ⭐

This era was Wenger's biggest achievement. He said that himself.

Hindsight, as they say, is 20/20.

The fact he kept us competetive at a fraction of the outlay of other clubs is a testament to the man's brilliance.

It wasn't a bad era by any means, just that had a champions league title been won before that we could've appreciated the lean years a lot more.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Feel Arsène does a disservice to himself, when he says the 2006-2013 era was his best work.

That was very good by him and the team, don't get me wrong, but some of the stuff that happened before that was legendary...there is a chance, that Arsène may be the only manager, to win a league title in this county (since the Premier League began) without losing a game.

That could conceivable never be matched, even Ferguson couldn't do that...and even if it is matched one day, it will probably be by a team that is back by a whole country, financially...stunning work by everyone at the club at that time.

That's his best achievement.

Last edited:

Sapient Hawk

Trusted ⭐

Feel Arsène does a disservice to himself, when he says the 2006-2013 era was his best work.

That was very good by him and the team, don't get me wrong, but some of the stuff that happened before that were legendary...there is a chance, that Arsène may be the only manager, to win a league title in this county (since the Premier League began) without losing a game.

That could conceivable never be matched, even Ferguson couldn't do that...and even if it is matched one day, it will probably be by a team that is back by a whole county, financially...stunning work by everyone at the club at that time.

That's his best achievement.

Fergie was the unquestioned master of the hill. Arsène knocked him off his perch in much the same manner he did Liverpool.

Were it not for a Hasselbaink goal one miserable night at Elland Road & a series of draws in 2003, we'd have a couple more titles & his early years would've been more brilliant were such a thing possible 🤣

BobP

Memri Fan
Fergie was the unquestioned master of the hill. Arsène knocked him off his perch in much the same manner he did Liverpool.

Were it not for a Hasselbaink goal one miserable night at Elland Road & a series of draws in 2003, we'd have a couple more titles & his early years would've been more brilliant were such a thing possible 🤣
Yeah, in an ideal world, Arsène has two extra FA Cups [1999 & 2001], a UEFA Cup [2000], a UCL [2006], and AT LEAST two extra league titles [1998/1999 & 2002/2003]. IMO 2007/2008 falls under the latter category. There's this misconception that our fate that season was sealed when we lost away at both United and Chelsea at the tail end of the season. But say we win both the infamous Birmingham game and convert one of the three draws which followed into a victory, we win the league.

Sapient Hawk

Trusted ⭐

Yeah, in an ideal world, Arsène has two extra FA Cups [1999 & 2001], a UEFA Cup [2000], a UCL [2006], and AT LEAST two extra league titles [1998/1999 & 2002/2003]. IMO 2007/2008 falls under the latter category. There's this misconception that our fate that season was sealed when we lost away at both United and Chelsea at the tail end of the season. But say we win both the infamous Birmingham game and convert one of the three draws which followed into a victory, we win the league.

13 years on & Clichy's brainfart at a crucial point in the game infuriates me.

Had he been only the slightest bit switched on we'd have left St. Andrews with 3 points and, as turned out, one other win would've sufficed.

That title, much like Fergie's last in 2013, would've been Arsène's greatest as the team was significantly weaker than all his previous ones.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐

Every article i've ever read by a pro or ex-pro has been painfully bad to read, this was no exception. They should really just collect their thoughts and give them to an actual writer. It's just sentence after sentence saying how great everything was and why someone should hire him to be their next manager, the paragraphs don't even relate to one another. Not a single interesting thing in the whole article.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Jeez this page is bringing up all of the painful memories into one.

I also remember when Henry got slipped in at 1 nil in the CL final and I was so so so sure he'd bury it 😭

I really wanted us to be the first club in London to win the CL too, but then Bayern had to bottle it in their own fecking ground, so p!ssed about that....88th minute too and it just had to be, had to be Drogba isn't it.

Atleast the nightmare of all nightmare scenarios didn't occur with Tottenham winning it. I'd have probably changed my name and sh!pped my own a*s back to Ghana if that sh!t happened, on god!!!

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
Great article but I find it mostly painful to read any articles about the 1996-2006 period despitee all the great memories. Mentions of Highbury, Arsène, Henry, Bergkamp, Vieira and Pires, Pat Rice and David Dein just makes our current state feel even worse. Not just that we`re no longer competing for the biggest titles, even though I obviously miss that too. But the worst part is having crooks like Raul and Kia taking advantege of our club, a rookie manager devoid of any charm managing us, a useless sporting director, playing at the Emrates instead of Highbury and the the fact that our greatest ever manager hasn`t set foot at the ground since leaving and still haven`t had a statue or a stand named after him.

Sapient Hawk

Trusted ⭐

Jeez this page is bringing up all of the painful memories into one.

I also remember when Henry got slipped in at 1 nil in the CL final and I was so so so sure he'd bury it 😭

I really wanted us to be the first club in London to win the CL too, but then Bayern had to bottle it in their own fecking ground, so p!ssed about that....88th minute too and it just had to be, had to be Drogba isn't it.

Atleast the nightmare of all nightmare scenarios didn't occur with Tottenham winning it. I'd have probably changed my name and sh!pped my own a*s back to Ghana if that sh!t happened, on god!!!

Had the unthinkable happened @American_Gooner would've initiated a hostile takeover of Arsenal-Mania & renamed Bantersberg to save face for the entire fandom 🤣

scytheavatar

Established Member
Anyone else wonder where we would be had we stuck with Freddie instead? Love the man. Wish he was still associated with the club in some fashion.

During his time as interim manager he was sucking up to the Özil/Mustafi/Kola crowd and thinking they are the key to reversing our fortunes........ that makes him suspect his judgement as a manager isn't that good.

Top Bottom