• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Freddie Ljungberg

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
excellent news if true, but could be dangerous for Emery - I can see most of the players being much more pro-Freddie than pro-Emery, which could cause serious divisions in the camp
The only big club that Ljungberg played in was arsenal, and west ham for a year. He was also an assistant coach in Wolfsburg for 6 months.

Arteta was a Barcelona youth product, played in PSG, Rangers, Real Sociedad, Everton, Arsenal. And he has been an assistant coach in Man City for 3 years.

Ljungberg would have learned his tactics mostly from wenger, who believes tactics is just a general philosophy, if you have good players, you don’t have to give them much information on what they should do on the pitch. But sadly this approach is outdated and would not work in modern football.

Arteta has more experience in both his club and coaching career, he learned different tactical approach from different managers.
Especially when he was working with Guardiola, who thinks tactics is like a chess game, which every small detail movements of the players counts. Arteta would have developed a better picture in tactics. For example, how players should position themselves at this second/on the next second, how do you respond if a particular opponent player shift to this area......

However, you wouldn’t really know how good their tactical knowledge actually is.
And you don’t know how they would like to play, they could’ve learn the wrong stuff in Rangers/Everton/Swedish National Team, and prefer boring football.
Emery is an attacking manager and a proven tactician, so I don’t think Ljungberg or Arteta can replace him in the near future.

Last edited:

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
An Arteta/Ljungberg set up would be the perfect tonic for this mess we have going on right now.
Read
The only big club that Ljungberg played in was arsenal, and west ham for a year. He was also an assistant coach in Wolfsburg for 6 months.

Arteta was a Barcelona youth product, played in PSG, Rangers, Real Sociedad, Everton, Arsenal. And he has been an assistant coach in Man City for 3 years.

Ljungberg would have learned his tactics mostly from wenger, who believes tactics is just a general philosophy, if you have good players, you don’t have to give them much information on what should do on the pitch. But sadly this approach is outdated and would not work in modern football.

Arteta has more experience in both his club and coaching career, he learned different tactical approach from different managers.
Especially when he was working with Guardiola, who thinks tactics is like a chess game, which every small detail movements of the players counts. Arteta would have developed a better picture in tactics. For example, how players should position themselves in this second/on the next second, how do you respond if a particular opponent player shift to this area......

However, you wouldn’t really know how good their tactical knowledge actually is.
And you don’t know how they would like to play, they could’ve learn the wrong stuff in Rangers/Everton/Swedish National Team, and prefer boring football.
Emery is an attacking manager and a proven tactician, so I don’t think Ljungberg or Arteta can replace him in the near future.
And what kind of mess are we in? A team full of **** players? You need a few transfer windows to fix that.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Ex players as managers always seems like a good idea at the time. I can completely understand the optimism it brings, especially when the players were heroes on the pitch. But Jesus, how many more examples do we need that it’s rarely a good idea? It’s not like any ex-Arsenal player will be coming back to an easy job. It wouldn’t be a simple steering job like Zidane had at Real Madrid. I’d much rather see ex players at the club doing well then some random jobber from Italy or wherever. It’s the dream isn’t it?

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

I hope this is true, Ljungberg has done a good job with the U/23's in just his first season & maybe this means he'll push for a few of them to be given a chance aswell. I wouldn't mind knowing what the official role is sooner rather then later.

It would be good to see a few of our former boys in with the club in positions aswell, Ljungberg, per & if reports are right we'll have Edu in aswell.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

Ljungberg a possible candidate to eventually be the 1st team manager if Emery fails? May not be in the running just yet but ever in the future if he does a good job this year?

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Ex players as managers always seems like a good idea at the time. I can completely understand the optimism it brings, especially when the players were heroes on the pitch. But Jesus, how many more examples do we need that it’s rarely a good idea? It’s not like any ex-Arsenal player will be coming back to an easy job. It wouldn’t be a simple steering job like Zidane had at Real Madrid. I’d much rather see ex players at the club doing well then some random jobber from Italy or wherever. It’s the dream isn’t it?
Its actually not that rare. It only gets attention when its a big team like RM, Barca, Ajax etc. Its pretty common practice across Europe and South America but more in terms of having former players either as trainers, directors or representatives if not the manager. I guess the romanticism of it is what does it for us fans as you allude to and the other thing is that kind of arrangement does bear fruits but in the long run. Its not a coincidence that some of the best clubs around prefer to have former players running the club in some capacity.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser

Ljungberg would have learned his tactics mostly from wenger, who believes tactics is just a general philosophy, if you have good players, you don’t have to give them much information on what they should do on the pitch. But sadly this approach is outdated and would not work in modern football.

Especially when he was working with Guardiola, who thinks tactics is like a chess game, which every small detail movements of the players counts. Arteta would have developed a better picture in tactics. For example, how players should position themselves at this second/on the next second, how do you respond if a particular opponent player shift to this area......

Also Arteta's practically been in every situation you could hope for a top level player to experience as well as adapt diverse cultures, language and dressing room dynamics. That could definitely come in handy if he were to become a manager.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
How dare you belittle Ljungbergs name by bringing up bloody Arteta?

Arteta is a Journeyman while Freddie is a frekkin invincible!
Because Ljungberg is not a player anymore. And if you get a job at Arsenal you have to be qualified for the job. The fact is Arteta has better experience, so he has more chance to become a better coach than Ljungberg.
It doesn’t change the fact that Ljungberg is a club legend and win more titles with us. If we hire people as manager because he was a better player, then why not getting Maradona?

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Its actually not that rare. It only gets attention when its a big team like RM, Barca, Ajax etc. Its pretty common practice across Europe and South America but more in terms of having former players either as trainers, directors or representatives if not the manager. I guess the romanticism of it is what does it for us fans as you allude to and the other thing is that kind of arrangement does bear fruits but in the long run. Its not a coincidence that some of the best clubs around prefer to have former players running the club in some capacity.
I’m talking more about players that jumped straight into management and end up managing their former club within a few years—particularly in England. To be fair, Bowyer at Charlton has gone well so far, so the more I think about it, there are probably a few more than I thought. I think chairman and boards trust former players more because they think the guy will pull out all the stops to try and not ruin his legacy, and also be honest and sincere when dealing with agents. No brown paper bags being passed underneath tables in restaurants. It’s an ideal for them just as much as it is the fans.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Ex players as managers always seems like a good idea at the time. I can completely understand the optimism it brings, especially when the players were heroes on the pitch. But Jesus, how many more examples do we need that it’s rarely a good idea?
People on here laugh at Ole yet think ex-players taking over is inherently a good thing. :lol:

berric

Established Member

Player:Trossard
Because Ljungberg is not a player anymore. And if you get a job at Arsenal you have to be qualified for the job. The fact is Arteta has better experience, so he has more chance to become a better coach than Ljungberg.
It doesn’t change the fact that Ljungberg is a club legend and win more titles with us. If we hire people as manager because he was a better player, then why not getting Maradona?

Ljungberg did some extraordinary tgings with youth this season and comes in as a part of coaching staff, not as a manager. He deserved the promotion.

Arteta however still has to prove himself as a stand-alone manager.

Neither 'deserve' to replece Emery though.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Ljungberg will give more ideas to unai about our academy players and he deserve it after good season with U23.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
January 2020.

Comunicado Oficial

Freddie_-_V1_-_8.jpg
no player will reject playing under hot bald guy.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom