• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Freddie Ljungberg

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

In a hindsight, it was unfair and unjust to let him go for Arteta.

It's pretty incredible thinking about, Freddie was a stop gap until we got Arteta yet Freddie had more managerial experience than Arteta, now neither had any real experience but I'd have thought managing the under 23's would be a lot more than sitting beside Pep looking sheepish for 3 and a half years.

Would we be any worse off having kept Freddie? I mean at the very least he might have done a lot more with the younger players. But this is all hindsight, in reality neither were ready for the top gig at a club like Arsenal.

9jagooner

I don’t think we should have kept Freddie in charge. If the team messed up, I can’t imagine fans raining insults at an invincible. So better to keep Freddie off the firing line.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
It's pretty incredible thinking about, Freddie was a stop gap until we got Arteta yet Freddie had more managerial experience than Arteta, now neither had any real experience but I'd have thought managing the under 23's would be a lot more than sitting beside Pep looking sheepish for 3 and a half years.

Would we be any worse off having kept Freddie? I mean at the very least he might have done a lot more with the younger players. But this is all hindsight, in reality neither were ready for the top gig at a club like Arsenal.
Freddie didn’t act like he was cut out for it. His actions and expressions on the sidelines seemed that of a fan who won a raffle to manage us for a month. I remember face palms and whatnot 😆 At least Arteta has got the act off pretty well even if the football part is lacking. Maybe my sentiment in wanting to protect precious Fred is playing a part when I say I’m glad he didn’t carry on, and maybe that’s unfair to his credentials to manage, for what managing u23’s is worth… But yeah, both fall way short and unless you’re doing well and have results to show, it’s very easy and normal for anyone to point to their zero experience and conclude it was just too much of a punt.

scytheavatar

Established Member
I don’t think we should have kept Freddie in charge. If the team messed up, I can’t imagine fans raining insults at an invincible. So better to keep Freddie off the firing line.

Fans rained insults on Wenger so why wouldn't they rain insults at an invincible? Especially one who is usually seen as more of a water carrier compared to Henry/Pires/Bergkamp.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
Fans rained insults on Wenger so why wouldn't they rain insults at an invincible? Especially one who is usually seen as more of a water carrier compared to Henry/Pires/Bergkamp.
That's incredibly harsh. Freddie was a big game player. Scored and assisted in almost all the major games including a Cup final. Hugely influential in the 2001/02 double win.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
I was always a bit intrigued by a Wenger comment at the time. Maybe just being kind to Freddie but it was during full Arteta PR hype stage the week before being appointed.

Chose not to put him over Freddie.... & has not been seen round the club under Arteta. :lol:

"I am an Arsenal supporter. And at the moment I support the manager in charge and the manager in charge is [Freddie] Ljungberg. When Arteta will be in charge I will support Arteta," the Frenchman told Sky Sports.

"He [Arteta] is intelligent, he has passion, he has knowledge, but Ljungberg [does] as well.

<<reed>>

Lidl Tir Na Nog

Still blows my mind that the club allowed Arteta to sack Freddie who had been working as a youth coach at the club for ~10 years (I think?) and replace him with a 20 year old Atletico ball boy, basically all Hale End kids were raving about Freddie.
Imagine Oleh coming to United and sacking either Phealan or Carrick? Never happening.

Last edited:

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Still blows my mind that the club allowed Arteta to sack Freddie who had been working as a youth coach at the club for ~10 years (I think?) and replace him with a 20 year old Atletico ball boy, basically all Hale End kids were raving about Freddie.
Imagine Oleh coming to United and sacking either Phealan or Carrick? Never happening.
Freddie had more experience than Arteta.
output-onlinepngtools9.png

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Arteta aint even 1/10 the legend freddie was for us and I have no doubt Freddie would batter the weirdo if it came to it

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Freddie wasn't the best here, most of his games here as coach were pretty crap sadly...but the club didn't help him either, plus it was a horrible time to be an interim at that point.

Really irked me to see him mocked, was a top player for us, way above Arteta...massive icon of prime Barclays too, the red streak haircut he had (and his form at the time) elite stuff...he was like Pogba, but actually good on the pitch too!

Baki

Loves Anime Hates Mikel
Freddie wasn't the best here, most of his games here as coach were pretty crap sadly...but the club didn't help him either, plus it was a horrible time to be an interim at that point.

Really irked me to see him mocked, was a top player for us, way above Arteta...massive icon of prime Barclays too, the red streak haircut he had (and his form at the time) elite stuff...he was like Pogba, but actually good on the pitch too!
Freddie had no staff. Literally thrown into the deep end. Bit unfair to judge. He was a better option than Arteta.

Wrighty4eva

Established Member
Also it didn't take freddie long to realize the real issue on the pitch was the so called "Experienced" players and their apathy towards playing for the club, if properly backed (Backroom staff)I think he would have done a better job than Arteta in hindsight, atleast he had actually coached to some capacity.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Also it didn't take freddie long to realize the real issue on the pitch was the so called "Experienced" players and their apathy towards playing for the club, if properly backed (Backroom staff)I think he would have done a better job than Arteta in hindsight, atleast he had actually coached to some capacity.

He was onto something with his starting XI vs Everton.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
One of the funniest things Freddie ever did here, was in his last match before Arteta...he picked loads of kids and left out Özil, then said after the game...

"Özil is injured...but even if he wasn't, I wouldn't have picked him today"

...loved Mes, but that was brilliant :lol:

Özil must have been such an annoying player to deal with, post Arsène...looked liked he just didn't really care anymore about football.

Top Bottom