• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Freddie Woodman

Impact

Established Member
Freddie Woodman has been tracked by Arsenal since at least 2019. This would be an astute signing, not a Runarsson-esque situation.

However Newcastle view him as a future no. 1, which is why when Dubravka was injured at the start of this season, they signed Mark Gillespie so Woodman could continue his development as a no. 1 out on loan. He's been heavily touted to breakthrough since the under 20s World Cup.

If we aren't taking the experienced deputy approach, then Woodman is certainly high up my list but I genuinely can't see why Newcastle would sell.

I do think Newcastle is the place to look though: Darlow, Dubravka and Woodman are all solid choices to compete with and deputise for Leno. Not sure it's possible or sensible for Newcastle to keep them all on their books.

Last edited:

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

I know he has been highly rated for a while. A good choice but one I assume we will have to over pay for.

Newcastle always seem to have solid keepers. Hislop, Given, Srnicek, Krul, Dubravka and of course Fraser Forster.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
We've had our eye on this kid for 4 years and his dad is a coach at the club. Don't see it happening now though

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

That article states this kid's dad works as head of youth goalkeeping for Arsenal. Bit of nepotism here, do we have no scouts or a recruitment structure anymore.
Don't need scouts, we got YouTube. All you need I'm told.

senna

Freddie Woodman has been tracked by Arsenal since at least 2019. This would be an astute signing, not a Runarsson-esque situation.

However Newcastle view him as a future no. 1, which is why when Dubravka was injured at the start of this season, they signed Mark Gillespie so Woodman could continue his development as a no. 1 out on loan. He's been heavily touted to breakthrough since the under 20s World Cup.

If we aren't taking the experienced deputy approach, then Woodman is certainly high up my list but I genuinely can't see why Newcastle would sell.

I do think Newcastle is the place to look though: Darlow, Dubravka and Woodman are all solid choices to compete with and deputise for Leno. Not sure it's possible or sensible for Newcastle to keep them all on their books.

Happily take Darlow if they want Woodman to be their no.1 next year. Otherwise like @bingobob said better sitting on our bench than newcastles, at least he'll get cup games and european games (if we make it next year) and also chance to be future no.1. Why hasn't his dad already sorted thsi out?

UpTheGunnerz

Vrei sa pleci dar una una iei

Player:Elneny
Now this is a classic name you can set your watch to. Makes me reminisce about going to the game with me grandpa in the fifties

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Don’t we have any keeper in the u23? Wats the point of the academy if they can’t produce a keeper

TornadoTed

Established Member
Don’t we have any keeper in the u23? Wats the point of the academy if they can’t produce a keeper

We have 2 promising keepers in the under 23's, Okonkwo and Hein. I don't think either are quite ready for a first team role yet though. They are maybe a couple of years away so we could do with a short term solution.

Impact

Established Member
We have 2 promising keepers in the under 23's, Okonkwo and Hein. I don't think either are quite ready for a first team role yet though. They are maybe a couple of years away so we could do with a short term solution.

Agreed and actually the best way to develop goalkeepers is regular consistent game-time so I suspect both Hein and Okonkwo will begin to be loaned out to the lower leagues in the coming seasons until they are (if ever) first-team ready.

Top Bottom