• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Fredrik Ljungberg (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
If we were offered the quoted £20m for Fred then I would take it! We can replace him with someone like de Ridder and get a good centre-back and still have money left-over.

Anders Limpar

He didn't say he wanted to play for Real, he said he was flattered to be mentioned as a Real target and so would any footballer! And on the direct question on who he thought was the best in the world he said that even Henry is an increadible player he still rates Zidane as the best around. Those two sentences has been drag together!

Don't blow this out of proportion!!

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
I would take £20m for Ljungberg. We could replace him with someone like Daniel de Ridder and also sign a world-class centre-back and still have some money left over!

Iron Monkey

ljungberg for 20 mil is a lot for arsenal. if i'm not wrong, last time anelka going to madrid only 22mil, why so cheap.

we won't know he will go or not, if madrid really come with offer, i know arsenal will considered.

just wait and see at the end of season, answer will be know....

Jkreffer

Established Member
Hope he doesn't go. Need players like Freddie. If he went though, I can see Wright- Phillips being a shrewd replacement.

bobbypires

Established Member
He won't leave. Nobody wants to leave Arsenal. And we need him.
Today Freddie is in Madrid, so tomorrow we will hear or read more rubbish.

Sigun

Freddie is only saying this (if he did) just in case he loses his place in the team, and wants to keep hes options open.

He knows the team are playing well at the moment with and without him, so he just wants to have a backup plan in case he gets squeezed out of the team.

Though, I dont see this happining cause he is the best in that position at the club and has been for a while now.

This is backed up with this link that shows that he was happy/relief that he was part of the team when Arsenal won.

http://www.skysports.com/skysports/arti ... 77,00.html

quattro

i agree with everything Kyla said.

what bugs me about this is that it had to come out now. when vieira went on about his "who knows, who can tell about the future..." statements we were not in a such a crucial part of the campaign. i still stand with the opinion that real madrid are doing this now partly because they want to unsettle us. i admit that sounds paranoid but its too convenient a time for an offer especially when the transfer window has been closed for two months now and the summer is still quite some time away. as for freddie's statements, i'm very disappointed. henry, the one man everybody is chasing right now for obvious reasons has flat out stamped any such approaches, and whether he really means it or not (i believe he does) is irrelevant. what is relevant is that he is showing his commitment at that time when commitment MUST be shown. ljungberg's "ill keep the door open" sentiments smacks of a lack of confidence in the team's future, a future that partly rests on how we perform for the rest of THIS season. why couldn't he have just kept it to himself... god knows there's nothing anybody can do if he really wanted to move in the summer, but the timing of such display of fickleness is all wrong.

i just hope it has no major unsettling effects on the rest of the squad. i hope that henry's (and vieira's, campbell's, pires', edu's etc) constant displays of commitment outweigh this source of possible tension. freddie is an important part of the squad and has served arsenal well in the past and personally is one of my favorite players. but if it starts showing in the pitch i say put gilberto on the right flank for keeps.

Gunnsie

I agree, completely wrong to say what he did. Ok, its up to him whether or not he wants to leave, but with players 100x better like Vieria and Pires and Henry and Campbell all commiting, just as we look stronger than we ever have, it just seems feckless for him to say it. Hope wenger has a go at him for that.

Also, does he realise how popular he (was) at highbury? I for one have his name on my home shirt, and a lot of other people do. If he goes to real madrid he'll just be doing a McManaman or Anelka, wood warmer.

seanconvey66

Hes a great player but for the £20m being talked abt id let him go and then get Joaquin, or maybe wright-phillips (not in ljungbergs class yet bt got big potential.)

Kyla

I have massive reservations about any XI member leaving b/c the team is so closely knit and everybody's on the same wavelength which is why we are seeing the football we are. It would be the first phase of dismantling the Wenger Dynasty. But, if that is how Freddie really feels then he can quite simply **** off to his poxy club. £20 mill isn't a realistic figure but I would only be happy if the board settled b/w that and £15m- we might as well suck all we can.

JazzG

Established Member
This is quite funny, some are saying if a club offers us good money we should snap their hands off. Yet you want this same player to be totally loyal and rule out any move. Why should he? If the club isn't loyal to their players why should the player be loyal?

For the past 2 seasons he has been poor for us. The main reason is injuries, he has had so many its untrue. He missed half of the season last year, only played 19 games. Overall played 33 games and scored 10 goals from midfield, this season has played 32 and scored 10 goals, has 6 assists this season as well (our goal 'creating machine' henry has 7 and Pires has 8 ). These stats back up patrick42's claim that he isn't really that good ;)

I'm a big fan of his, people often look past the fact he has had so many injuries too much for my liking. Even this season he has played with injured ribs and an injured ankles. He can't seem to shake these injuries off, in the last few games he has been awesome imo. I'm not saying there aren't better players around coz there are, however due to him not being your usual flair player people often can't see past that.

Kyla said:
"but I don't want to close down any options I might have for the future. It would be unbelievable to play with Zidane in Madrid. He is the best in the world, even better than Thierry Henry." Nothing like a vote of confidence in your own team-mates, eh?

He is better than Henry, something which gooners seem to have difficulty accepting. On current form he is better but overall no one is better than Zidane, end of story. He was won seria titles, CLs, La liga titles, was the main reason France won the WC and the european cup. Can Henry claim

Olofski

Wow this discussion is really interesting to follow, there are some real extremists here that only sees things as black or white, absolutely nothing in between! Loads of people here are talking about the well-known fact that the papers are full of **** but almost no one thinks that Arsenal players know that. You have some really high thoughts about them!

Apparently Freddie will cause trouble in the squad because he doesn´t close all doors on his future career. Come on do you really buy that? Do you honestly think Henry, the glorified Pires and Campbell sits in a corner in the dressingroom moping about Freddie cause he doesn´t deny that a football career sometimes stretches beyond Arsenal? Everyone in this forum are Arsenal fans (almost anyway) and some people seem to think that every player should commit to Arsenal for the rest of their lives! Being a football player is actually a job, a bloody fine job, but still a job and IF Freddie is to leave for Real or Inter I sure as hell won´t think bad of him. He´s done an excellent job for the Gunners not just during the double season wich everyone is comparing to when judging him. Freddie was actually saying in a big interview for a Swedish paper this weekend that this season is his best Arsenal season so far, he´s also stated that he will probably stay until 2006 when his contract expires.

And YES some part of me would actually like to see Freddie play in Real to prove all the doubters wrong, both in Sweden and on this forum - cause believe me he´s got plenty of doubters!!!

And YES loyalty is VERY important but who can say that Freddie isn´t a loyal Gunner?

Olofski

Kyla said:
My anger might reach further boiling point after reading the Guardian's intepretation of the matter!

By contrast, Freddie Ljungberg is having lots of thoughts. And most of them are about playing for Real Madrid. Real are said to be ready to offer £20m, but could face competition from Internazionale. "I am happy playing for Arsenal at the moment," says Ljungberg, "but I don't want to close down any options I might have for the future. It would be unbelievable to play with Zidane in Madrid. He is the best in the world, even better than Thierry Henry." Nothing like a vote of confidence in your own team-mates, eh?

This one is great, one can interpret this in so many grand ways.

1. Henry must be really angry with Freddie right now cause he don´t see him as the best player in the world, only the second (HOW CAN HE???), his selfconfidence will hit rock-bottom and he won´t score any more goals this season.

2. Imagine a scenario like this in for example United, Giggs is interviewed and says that "Nedved is the best in the world, even better than Nicky Butt." Will Nicky Butt be devastated? Yeah right!

Come on these are adults, professionals and YES Zidane is probably a better footballer than Henry like wise with Nedved versus Butt :D

Kyla

Olf- Nedved and Scholes might be a better comparison ;)

I don't deny that Zidane isn't better than Thierry- he's like Bergkamp to the 5th power, BUT I don't appreciate his comments at all- they have come at the wrong time. We have two to three players at our club who are ten times the footballer that Freddie is, neither of who have given Madrid the time of day (ok Paddy has strung us along in the past but his commitment is clear) What makes Freddie think he is so special ffs? He should realise that he won't get it any better than at Arsena; and is having a laugh to think that Madrid want him for the odd darting run and the occassional huff and puff ;)

EJub

I don't think this should be such a big deal. Freddie said he was happy at Arsenal and also said he wouldn't rule anything out.
He could have left that last bit out, but I don't think that could unsettle the team.

This approach has more to do with the type of player Real Madrid wants.
If Freddie wasn't in those Calvin Klein ads, I don't think Real Madrid would make such an offer. Some executives in Madrid want to sign the player/model and probably don't care if he plays regularly. Sort of sounds like a pimp recruiting someone new, doesn't it.?

Olofski

Kyla said:
Olf- Nedved and Scholes might be a better comparison ;)

I don't deny that Zidane isn't better than Thierry- he's like Bergkamp to the 5th power, BUT I don't appreciate his comments at all- they have come at the wrong time. We have two to three players at our club who are ten times the footballer that Freddie is, neither of who have given Madrid the time of day (ok Paddy has strung us along in the past but his commitment is clear) What makes Freddie think he is so special ffs? He should realise that he won't get it any better than at Arsena; and is having a laugh to think that Madrid want him for the odd darting run and the occassional huff and puff ;)

But its more fun comparing Butt and Nedved :lol:

I don´t think Freddie think he´s all that special, the only thing he´s done is he haven´t ruled out a future (could be in three years) move to Real, big deal! Paddy wasn´t all that clear during his contracttalks so isn´t Wenger. This way of reasoning means that Wengers comments about waiting til the season is over until signing a new contract will bring uncertainty to the team. NO WAY!!!

This would mean that Sol is a man not to trust, how can we let him be in charge of the defence? Sol is the perfect example of the strive for a footballer to move upwards and let´s face it Real Madrid is bigger than Arsenal - for now anyway.

I can include som quotes from Freddie in an interview with Swedish paper Sportbladet this Saturday:
About the Real-rumour: Real Madrid is a fantastic club and it´s an honour being linked to them. But I belong to Arsenal and I´m very happy there. We´ve got alot to play for and that´s the only thing I´m focusing on."
About playin in the new arena: "We´ll see. It´s a fantastic stadium they´re building, I´ll take these matches now and when the season is over we´ll see if there´s any point in speculating"
About the worlds greatest: " I always answer Zidane, Henry is also very good but it´s hard comparing them, they are different players in different positions, but for me Zidane is still the best".

The link: http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/sport/sto ... 47,00.html
Where in these comments lies the deathsin?

quattro

Olofski said:
I can include som quotes from Freddie in an interview with Swedish paper Sportbladet this Saturday:
About the Real-rumour: Real Madrid is a fantastic club and it´s an honour being linked to them. But I belong to Arsenal and I´m very happy there. We´ve got alot to play for and that´s the only thing I´m focusing on."
About playin in the new arena: "We´ll see. It´s a fantastic stadium they´re building, I´ll take these matches now and when the season is over we´ll see if there´s any point in speculating"
About the worlds greatest: " I always answer Zidane, Henry is also very good but it´s hard comparing them, they are different players in different positions, but for me Zidane is still the best".

The link: http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/sport/sto ... 47,00.html
Where in these comments lies the deathsin?
thanks for the quotes, they are quite reassuring. i assume these are the same quotes "restructured" a little by the press. i guess i'm just a little high strung on topics like these... crucial part of the season and all that. cheers! ;D

Aussie

Established Member
Unless you have auctually spoken to Fred nobody really has much idea. The media twist and change words around to make stories sound a lot more than they are.

Olofski

quattro said:
thanks for the quotes, they are quite reassuring. i assume these are the same quotes "restructured" a little by the press. i guess i'm just a little high strung on topics like these... crucial part of the season and all that. cheers! ;D

Yes it feels like the original source is this interview being done over the phone the day before the Blackburn game by a Swedish newspaper.

Go Freddie :punk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom