• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Fredrik Ljungberg (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

qs

Established Member
Paddy from Sweden said:
The part about Bojinov comes from the imagination of the journo at The Guardian and not from the Italian press.

The Guardian don't tend to just make stuff up. Probably the most reliable football paper in England(though thats not saying too much)

Soler

Established Member
kym7224 said:
Problem is Freddie can snub it, we always accept the bid but it is depend on Freddie wants to go or not.

With their wages I think he will stay with us.

I think that's the case too. I'm hardly going to try and guess what Wenger's planning to do here, but with things like "... it looks increasingly likely he will soon be joined by striker Obafemi Martins." in decent news sources I think Bojinov is more of a back-up option if a deal with Martins falls through.

Obviously, the Ljungberg to Fiorentina and Bojinov coming here deal is off if it's Martins as it'd make no sense to sign three strikers in one summer on top of having RVP and Adebayor already there.

Paddy from Sweden

Still the only thing I have found on Italian Fiorentina sites is that Torino and Roma are interested in Bojinov and that the Turin club is in pole for his signature. Nothing about Arsenal but an article about that article in The Guardian so I guess that was news to them as well.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
5.5m plus bojinov? am i dreaming? its the bestest deal for ljungberg i could have dreamt of. i remember people here saying we would be lucky if we get 3m for ljungberg

if this is true, i don't see why wenger wouldn't accept the deal. i understand bojinov isnt playing as well as he should be, but he would still be better than an ageing ljungberg.

bojinov record is not prolific at all, a whee bit less than decent for a striker. he can play wings as well

2001–2004 Lecce 65 (16)
2005–2006 Fiorentina 36 (8)
2006–2007 → Juventus (loan) 18 (5)

Born in the Bulgarian town of Gorna Oryahovitsa, Bozhinov moved to Malta at the age of 12 with his mother; Pepa, a former Bulgarian national basketball team player and stepfather Sasho Angelov, who had played for the Bulgarian national football team during the 1990s.

Valeri Bojinov (Bojinov in French and Portuguese transcription) was discovered at the age of 14 by U.S. Lecce sports director Pantaleo Corvino, while playing for Pietà Hotspurs, and signed for just 30,000,000 ITL (around €15,000).

Club Football Career
A promising youngster, Bojinov settled in Lecce and continued his studies there while playing for U.S. Lecce youth teams. He debuted in Italian Serie A on January 22, 2002, at the age of 15 years and 11 months for U.S. Lecce, becoming the youngest foreign player to make an appearance in the top level of Italian football. His first goal in the top division came on January 6, 2004 in a home 1-2 defeat against Bologna.

Bojinov showed shades of his potential with US Lecce under the guidance of coach Zdeněk Zeman, tallying up 16 goals; he was soon picked up by Fiorentina in January 2005, in a transfer worth approximately €13 million (9 million pounds), he was just 18 years old at the time. Ironically, the Viola man who attended and operated the bid was Pantaleo Corvino, the same man who discovered Bojinov and brought him to Italy in the first place. The profile of Valeri Bojinov rose and he became considered as one of the highest-regarded young strikers in the world.

During January 2006 Bojinov was rumoured to be joining Italian giants Inter Milan on a 6 month loan deal, with Internazionale goalkeeper Francesco Toldo rumoured to be going in the opposite direction. However, he remained in Florence and was re-introduced into Fiorentina's squad after a period of exclusion. He built up a partnership with Luca Toni during the 2005-06 season, with Toni scoring the most Serie A goals in one season, since 1958-59.

In July 2006 he moved to Italian powerhouse Juventus in a deal which included Adrian Mutu's transfer to Fiorentina. Bojinov said that he would be happy to stay with Juve and that they do have the option. Viola sporting director Pantaleo Corvino has stated that Juve can complete the signing of the striker for a fee of £4 million; "There is a written clause with Juventus which allows them to keep him by paying £4m".

In July of 2007, several disagreements with contract renogatiation came to light exposing the difficulty Fiorentina had in dealing with him. He was put on the transfer list for a value of around 14 million euros.

Bojinov has been offered to english club Arsenal FC as part of an exchange deal for winger Freddie Ljungberg who is wanted by Fiorentina for £5.5 million.

International career
While with Lecce, Bojinov had previously played at various youth levels for his country. On his under-21 debut for Bulgaria Bojinov scored an impressive bicycle kick against Greece.

He was called up to the full Bulgaria national side, at Euro 2004. Bojinov made one appearance in the tournament (his first team debut), against Italy (Which Bulgaria lost 2-1) in June 2004. Against Ireland later that year in August, he scored his first goal for the national side.

To date the young front man has played 11 times for his country netting twice, becoming a first team regular in Stanimir Stoilov's squad.

Record breaking
Youngest ever foreign player to make an appearance in Serie A, at 15 years and 11 months for U.S. Lecce.
Youngest non-national to score in Serie A. Achieved on 11 January 2004 for Lecce.

Name spelling
He is most commonly known by the name Valeri Bojinov, which is the French and Portuguese transliteration of his birth name; Валери Божинов. Bozhinov is the correct English language transliteration, yet he remains known most widely, even in English language media reports as "Bojinov".

Trivia
During the 2003-04 season Bojinov earned praise from Juventus and Italy legend Gianluca Vialli, who said of Bojinov; "He's better than Christian Vieri was at that age."
In total only four players have made appearances in Serie A at a younger age than Bojinov. All four of them Italians, including the great Gianni Rivera.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Heck I would take a straight swap with Bojinov

Swedish Aftonbaldet, reports that we have agreed but that Freddie will ahve to take a wage cut (but a longer contract) the ball is with Freddie

phenn

I like Freddie. It makes no business sense to keep him. But I like him. Even though he's aging and really not very good right now. Every once in a while when we throw him in there he might come up with something good. Plus just for sentimental value. We've really had a lot of turnover lately.

Alfonso

Established Member
Bojinov is a good player, but he has stagnated and stalled in recent years. He is more of a 'big fish in a small pond' kind of player and a bit of a headcase. One of the pros of signing him would be that he could play on the left as well. Personally, I would prefer Goran Pandev, who is a similar player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom