<

Fredrik Ljungberg (Out)

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Olofski, Feb 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Privetbenjamin

Privetbenjamin New Member

Will be sad to see Ljungberg go, our longest serving current player. But in the end, this makes good business sense. There was talk of us willing to let him go for free and accepting his wages? 3.5 million pounds is too good to pass up for a player who's reaching near the twilight of his career. He would do better to have more starts at West Ham which he won't get with our young team. So it's all good for both sides.

2. Paddy from Sweden

Paddy from Sweden Active Member

The Sun's story comes from Swedish press reports last night.

Today they're reporting that it's a done deal and that Ljungberg will be presented at Upton Park at 14.00 (CET they report but I guess it's BST).

But then again they've also written that sources have said that AW got the news on Friday that Ljungberg had been sold. Still he's on photos on Arsenal.com that was taken at the training session on Saturday. :roll:

3. nidza7

nidza7 New Member

I`m getting excited on a prospect of new winger.

4. JazzG

JazzG New Member Elite

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 911613.stm

BBC is reporting West Ham have signed him, thought he was going abroad out of respect for the fans, heh. Anyways if this is true good luck to Freddie but we must move on. Hopefully buy another winger and we are in ok shape for the season

5. No.8_Wright

No.8_Wright New Member

6. Viper

Viper Member

:)

Thanks for the memories Freddie, but you are injury-prone and unfortunately, past it.

7. jay-d

jay-d Member

Yup was just gonna post this. In all honesty as long as a replacement is bought in , it's for the best. I'm suprised West Ham have taken a chance with his Injury record though.

8. stuart

stuart New Member Trusted

Im sad to lose him but it's for the best, like you say. Hopefully this will prompt the arrival of a new winger

I was just saying in the lobby, i wonder how the media, the likes of talksport will react. I wouldn't bet against them branding our club a mini crisis again, Freddie will suddenly become one of our best players and prized assets :lol:

9. mccroix

mccroix New Member

100% agree.

Unlike others i don't think we'll get a new winger.
    For me the wingers are:

Hleb
    Rosicky
    Walcott
    Eboue
    (Eduardo)

I'm not saying we don't need an additional winger. To be frank I'd love a quality winger, I just can't see it happening

10. Asterix

Asterix New Member Elite

Looks definite that he's gone, so this thread is history - please post all your fond farewells in the thread in Arsenal Talk.

11. Bergy_1995

Bergy_1995 New Member

And this days after Wenger outlining his importance to the squad and his wish to keep him this season.

I'll never work the bloke out.

Fairwell Freddie, it's been a good innings but I'm quite sure it's best for the both of us you moved on.

We need some fresh blood in ASAP to replace him however.

12. stiiphunn

stiiphunn Well-Known Member Trusted

Freddie leaving is very sad to be honest. Thanks for all the memories and hope you'll perform at West Ham!

13. Big_Cake

Big_Cake New Member

Should never have let him leave, has Wenger not learnt his lesson about letting older players leave!?
    Vieira - mistake (for one season at least)
    Wiltord - would still have been useful, but didn't want to stay
    Edu - mistake, Wenger should have played him more
    Pires - another season would have been good
    Parlour- would have been a fantastic squad player
    So what we are left with....
    Rosicky - plays out of position
    Hleb - well, depends on your view
    Walcott - 18/19 and a striker anyway
    Eboue -??? who knows

14. Asterix

Asterix New Member Elite

I think is the right time for Freddie to go. Who can forget his contribution to the club though. Some personal favourites:

FA Cup v Chelsea
    Scoring run where he fed off Bergkamp several games in a row, particularly remember the goal against Bolton.
    The Elvis hair

I really hope we get a replacement - would not be good to rely on Walcott and who else? Diaby? Denilson? Mark Randall?

15. KY

KY New Member

can't really think of any good reserve player that could fill the spot left by ljungberg. Randall is more of a central midfielder. Merida is still too young in my opinion. Jay simpson? or vincent van den bergh?

16. HighburyHeroes

HighburyHeroes New Member

sad. but for the better of the club

this can only be a positive if wenger replaces freddie with a player that is able to fight for first team

17. f4evo

f4evo New Member

is Toure the longest serving first teamer now? or did Justin Hoyte join Arsenal earlier?

Ljungberg was a great player in his peak and I will always like him, hopefully Wenger signs Van der vaart to replace him ;)

18. stuart

stuart New Member Trusted

Hoyte is, wasn't he here from he was a kid? I think it was actually Ali until he left :lol:

19. qs

qs New Member Elite

You never know that could've added 500k to the deal. Maybe Friar was telling WHU that Wenger still wanted Freddie.

TBH £3.5m is a bargain but I suppose with his huge wages its a burden lifted from us as well. I just hope Arsène has a replacement organised already. I'd be much less concerned about this if all our previously rumoured targets hadn't already been snapped up.

20. Glovegun

Glovegun New Member Trusted

Maybe a change of formation is afoot? That would explain why we appear to be signing more central midfielders and strikers as opposed to wide men.

Fabregas, Gilberto, Rosicky

van Persie, Adebayor, Eduardo

backup:

Denilson, Song/Randall?, Diaby

Walcott, Bendtner, Hleb

The personnel we have does seem a little more suited to a 4-3-3. Of the three wingers remaining one is a striker (Theo) and the other two are central playmakers (Rosicky and Hleb). The Diaby experiment out wide has hopefully finished, Song has not yet been moved on (Wenger may see something in him) and the apparent progress of young Mark Randall means that we now have a real glut of central midfielders.

Obviously there is a lot we dont know as of yet:

Will we sign another central striker, eg Gouffran or Anelka?

Will we go for a winger? (Di Maria Id assume)

Is Eboue now seen as a right-winger?

Where does Wenger see Rosicky fitting in?

Where will Eduardo play?

The future of Reyes?

A lot changeable factors in there, but a transition to 4-3-3 could be likely (or a 4-5-1 without the ball).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.