• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Fredrik Ljungberg (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olofski

Swedish paper Expressen has a calming article for us:
http://www.expressen.se/index.jsp?a=408318

Their source is a person close to Freddie, basically the article says the following:
The meeting is supposed to have taken place in Greece on Tuesday in Athens but Freddie played on Wednesday night in Austria. And he´s been with the squad all week!!!
And YES Olympiakos has bought sensational stuff before BUT players going downhill, Freddie is in his prime!
So to conclude, Freddie to Olympiakos: Nonsense!!!

Take care!

sabret00the

Established Member
i would've beleived it and even said good luck in the hope it'd result in my right winger i've been screaming for but for €1.5m you're having a laugh, give us €7.5 and it's a done deal, he's a proven goal scorer adn will tear apart Greece.

asajoseph

Established Member
Turn that Euro sign into pounds before it's even worth thinking about - I can't believe Freddie is THAT undervalued by Arsenal fans or are transfer fee's worked out by some equation involving stepovers per dribble now?

Chips&CurrySauce

Asajoseph, Freddie is on massive wages and he is a good player but not exceptional.. If Hleb is worth 9 million and he was coveted by a few top clubs(and on much lower wages), I can't see Freddie being worth more than 5 million.. After all there has never been a top club that have been interested in him, especially in the last 3 years!

sabret00the

Established Member
asajoseph said:
Turn that Euro sign into pounds before it's even worth thinking about - I can't believe Freddie is THAT undervalued by Arsenal fans or are transfer fee's worked out by some equation involving stepovers per dribble now?
:lol: nah but you gotta remember theirs no English premium and Chelsea aren't interested, sign of the times :lol:

asajoseph

Established Member
Chips,

every transfer fee is unique and based on individual circumstances. For a start, Freddie's made more of an impression than Hleb on the international scene, got more experience of playing at the top flight, has played more in Europe, AND is already at a big club. These are all factors which will drive his value upwards. Whilst it's useful to look at the market and see how much other players are going for, comparative fees aren't the only, or even the main factor in determining a transfer value of a player.

And as for clubs being interested in him, rumours linking him to Inter and other Italian and Spanish clubs surface nearly every summer. They're never that persistent, but we're in no position to tell really.

Chips&CurrySauce

Thats true Asa.. I suppose it all depends on how muych you rate a player.. With respect to Freddie although I value his qualities, I have never really viewed him as anything special.. The problem is he has never really had much competition on the right wing.. Anyway it'll be interesting to see what Wenger does this season with th addition of Hleb

sabret00the

Established Member
Yeah both Inter and AC (Milan's) are interested in Freddie and are said to be his first port of call if he ever decided to leave us, but for all of what you said ASA with all them things driving his value he's still not worth what we paid for Hleb.

asajoseph

Established Member
I'm not saying he's worth a massive transfer fee - but again, you can't associate one transfer fee to another. Hleb may be a better player, but if we can sell Ljungberg for more than that it'd be fantastic - indeed, a player's financial value doesn't actually mean anything until someone pays a price for him.

Now don't get me wrong, I wouldn't expect SWP money for him. But I think 5 million pounds is very cheap for a good (but perhaps not amazing) player, who averages 12 goals a season in his last 4 years and is just coming into the prime years. I'd say upwards of 7 or so would be reasonable, provided we could get hold of a replacement.

sabret00the

Established Member
asajoseph said:
I'm not saying he's worth a massive transfer fee - but again, you can't associate one transfer fee to another. Hleb may be a better player, but if we can sell Ljungberg for more than that it'd be fantastic - indeed, a player's financial value doesn't actually mean anything until someone pays a price for him.

Now don't get me wrong, I wouldn't expect SWP money for him. But I think 5 million pounds is very cheap for a good (but perhaps not amazing) player, who averages 12 goals a season in his last 4 years and is just coming into the prime years. I'd say upwards of 7 or so would be reasonable, provided we could get hold of a replacement.
i think you're forgetting who we're talking about here, we're not talking about an amazing technical player, once his speed goes he's nowt as he's a flop at centre forward, five million pounds is more than fair given his age.

Ratinho

Established Member
Wrong thread, I believe Sir YoL. :)

The one thing I do think, is if Hleb is going to play right hand side, I can't see how Ljungberg can get in the side, because I know some people haven't seen much of Hleb, but the guy is special. He's incredible on the ball, moving and dribbling, and has wonderful passing and pace.

I like Freddie, but Hleb is that one step above him at least.

We could turn Freddie into a bulldog in the centre. :lol:

asajoseph

Established Member
Rubbish. What on earth does 'technical' mean? Are you confusing it with 'skillful'? Because they're not the same thing at all. Freddie Ljungberg links up with our strikers as well as any player we have (and he does this for Sweden as well). Admittedly he's not creative, but the passes he can interchange in and around the box with Thierry can be lightening fast, very difficult to defend, and incredibly dangerous. Reference his link up with Henry in the CL against PSV last season, if you want to see what I mean. He still scores goals well by knowing where to be and being statistically the most clinical finisher in the league.

He's not the greatest player in the world, it's obvious. But he has some great strengths to his game that this team would sorely miss if they weren't there.

Not a flashy dribbler, but he can be a very effective player on his day.

Canuck

Established Member
Freddie rocks (to put it in layman's terms) and according to Arsenal. No other club have made an approach for him.
End of story?

:|

RockyRocastle

Established Member
Re: Ljungberg leaving?

sevengunner said:
Hi all... i have followed the forums for about 3 months but this is my first post. I just wanted to tell you that Freddie Ljungberg is very close to signing with the greek champion, Olympiacos. Arsenal will get around 1.5m euros.

I'd snap their hand off.

jay-d

Established Member
Re: Ljungberg leaving?

RockyRocastle said:
sevengunner said:
Hi all... i have followed the forums for about 3 months but this is my first post. I just wanted to tell you that Freddie Ljungberg is very close to signing with the greek champion, Olympiacos. Arsenal will get around 1.5m euros.

I'd snap their hand off.

Me too. Well maybe for a bit more than that but I feel he is a real weak link in the team.

Wenger14

Established Member
Why do all our players seem to leave when they are reaching their peak age? Are we a feeder club to the big european clubs or are we one of the big european clubs?

Allyboy

Established Member
Freddie has not been at his best for 2-3 seasons, and beyond running into the box and tapping goals in there is not much to his game.

Having lost Paddy, and maybe losing Pires I think we would be wrong to sell him this summer though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom