• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Fredrik Ljungberg (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mbaki Mutahaba

Established Member
gunnerGH said:
thegame24 said:
kolo toure

Yeh was just wondering.

Seems like only yesterday Kolo joined. We have worse retention rates than McDonalds at the moment.

Hopefully Arsène has settled now or be it; players to be added.

I know I am accused of being forever the glass is half-full type of guy when it comes to Arsenal. I find it remarkable that in such a short period of time a team can be overhauled and yet still compete. Its an amazing achievement. If by chance we do win any major trophy this year I think this will be Wenger's greatest achievement (exceding the unbeaten). I remember only recently Kolo being a part time midfielder...when we destroyed Leeds (4-1). Guys there has been some serious work done.in these few years. Gotta give it to le prof.,

gunnerGH

Established Member
Mbaki Mutahaba said:
gunnerGH said:
thegame24 said:
kolo toure

Yeh was just wondering.

Seems like only yesterday Kolo joined. We have worse retention rates than McDonalds at the moment.

Hopefully Arsène has settled now or be it; players to be added.

I know I am accused of being forever the glass is half-full type of guy when it comes to Arsenal. I find it remarkable that in such a short period of time a team can be overhauled and yet still compete. Its an amazing achievement. If by chance we do win any major trophy this year I think this will be Wenger's greatest achievement (exceding the unbeaten). I remember only recently Kolo being a part time midfielder...when we destroyed Leeds (4-1). Guys there has been some serious work done.in these few years. Gotta give it to le prof.,

Fair enough but if we werent to win a trophy this year how would you view wengers achievement then? Another trophyless season while Liverpool, and Man United win more. 3 years has been more than enough time. Time to start delivering

ronitc

United went from 2003 to 2007 without winning the title and have last won the fa cup in 2004.

Liverpool have last won the title in er.....refresh my memory? Won the Champs league in 2005 but finished 5th that year. Won fa cup in 2006.

We've won the premiership in 2004, won the fa cup in 2005 and reached the cl final in 2006. We're not exactly going through a drought. It's been a couple of years but it happens to the best of clubs. Ask Real.

gunnerGH

Established Member
Moving stadiums as already said in various topics has cleaned out our finances in the near future, we simply have no choice but to do this. It pisses me off we are not adding world class players but the finances arent there.

ronitc

Only Vieira and Henry could be classed as our best players when they left the club.

We've replaced Vieira with Cesc...not quite as dominating but equally talented.

Cashley comes close but we've replaced him adequately with Clichy.

Others were well into their decline. Pires, Ljungberg, Lauren, Kanu, Wiltord, Parlour.

Sol was a wreck at the club and wasn't close to being our best defender when he left.

Keown retired and he wasn't first choice when he did.

Bergkamp had immense quality even in his final year and he is the one that the squad is really missing.

gunnerGH

Established Member
I think wenger knows its affecting morale. Hence Ljungberg's comments to the media yesterday.

The board on the other hand are trying to fend away interest from the possible takeover parties.

Whilst on this point it is also key to point out the relationship with Wenger and the board must be vague. Im guessing Wenger doesnt know everything that goes on behind the scenes hence the two completely different views on finances.

thegame24

Established Member
sol was badly managed, he left us and became quality

he was also immense in the cl final.

if we had him this season he would have helped big time

same goes for pires

edu was let go for free, and was such a dependable mifielder as was wiltord who could always get ten goals a season.

Experience is a huge value no matter if they arnt at their peak.

man utd and ac milan are proof of this.

giggs and scholes were class

thegame24

Established Member
cant be asked to find any, but look at past quotes were he always says well i dont have the money, chelsea do etc etc.

ronitc

i would take sol back too but it has nothing to do with poor management in my eyes. his personal life was wonky and he had to get away from it all down in relatively secluded pompey.

pires left us and got injured for half a year...you can't forecast the future of course but he is getting older and already has major surgery on his knees so it could definitely have happened if he had stayed here. still one of my favourite players and would have him back. just don't think he would make the difference between 4th or 3rd and 1st.

yeah edu going was probably a mistake...live and learn i guess. he wanted to leave anyway, you know the fans definitely wanted him to stay and i'm sure wenger tried to speak to him too.

about wiltord, well i can't remember if he was offered a contract or not.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Big Poppa said:
Freddie was well within his rights to express his opinion. But I think he looks silly questioning Arsenal's ambition and then moving to West Ham. I think his own ambition should be interrogated - he wanted to stay in the comfort zone of London rather than move to Florence, Fiorentina are a far more 'up and coming' side than West Ham, thats for sure. He's 31 soon and has probably lost his final opportunity to win a European trophy.

Despite that, this does not make what he said untrue or at least, a concern. If players cannot be assured that the club is moving forwards, then what about fans? We need a more overt and pro-active demonstration of this so called 'good health' that this club is supposed to be in. It is insulting to be fed stats about attendances and beating 'the bigger teams' as some sort of indication that we are fine. Anyway, since when was 'fine' enough for a club of our size?

I do not like the small club mentality that has slowly begun creeping in over the last 3 years.

Most insightful post so far , Freddie can say what he likes , but he should know that is how Wenger operates . Freddie , Henry , Paddy etc except for Sol Campbell were not superstras when they came here , they had potential but the y weren't superstars. When have we ever bought one of those ? Yet I didn't hear anyone complain then?
Fact is Wenger does not buy Superstars or is reluctant to do so . You would think some of our senior players would know that buy now. What are Rosicky . Gallas , Baptista and Hleb ? They aren't exactly chop liver .
IT's not that they aren't World class, they haven't worked out yet.
What I am saying , you can't question Wengers ambition neither did he break promises. Some can argue that he signed the WRONG world class players but he did sign world class players.

Biggus

Established Member
sabret00the said:
ronitc said:
Big Poppa said:
I do not like the small club mentality that has slowly begun creeping in over the last 3 years.

I don't know where you've been, but it's always been there. Being successful over the last decade has just masked these insecurities.
i think it's pride. wenger knows that this team is good enough to fend off the challenge for fourth spot and he also knows that if he keeps it together he's got a title winning team waiting to blossom. however buying world class stars would mar ever so slightly and i don't think he's willing to see that happen. the only times wenger has spent big have been luxury buys (reyes) and desperation buys (henry), anything else has been doing it on the cheap. should fourth look like a challenge come january one his wishlist players become available, we'll spend big. otherwise we'll continue to try and do it on the cheap in order for him to leave his legacy on world football.

Well I'm getting tired of being held hostage to the crazy professors dreams of building a team of Galactios from the test tube up. Tomorrow never comes and life is what happens while your making plans, and we all know about the best laid plans of mice and men. As Big Poppa said we are not a small club, so we should be competing every year, Freddie is right- none of us are getting any younger.

ronitc

Were we competing every year before Wenger? Why is it that you feel we're a big club, could it have anything to do with how Arsène has transformed the club during his tenure? He deserves more than a couple of years of our patience.

Biggus

Established Member
ronitc said:
Were we competing every year before Wenger? Why is it that you feel we're a big club, could it have anything to do with how Arsène has transformed the club during his tenure? He deserves more than a couple of years of our patience.

No Ronitc, but in the olden days we had an outside toilet, washed once a week (whether we needed to or not) and slept five in a bed. But this is 2007 and we shouldn't have to accept that now. Arsène spoiled us rotten and like all spoiled kids....

we want wewant-
we want wewant-
we want wewant-
wewant.

PS- Oh and we didn't pay as much to watch underachievment.

PPS- Five in a bed would still be okay.

ronitc

Your analogy however humorous doesn't stand up. Football clubs don't necessarily progress with time, unlike technology and hygiene. In the years preceding Wenger we finished 5th, 12th, 4th, 10th and 4th. GG was successful but even less consistent than Wenger. and Rioch, well....he signed Bergkamp.

Biggus

Established Member
ronitc said:
Your analogy however humorous doesn't stand up. Football clubs don't necessarily progress with time, unlike technology and hygiene. In the years preceding Wenger we finished 5th, 12th, 4th, 10th and 4th. GG was successful but even less consistent than Wenger. and Rioch, well....he signed Bergkamp.

But by your own admission Ron (and we would all agree) we did. Onward and upward....... So enough of this rebuilding sh!t- Lets flex some financial muscle and kick some ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom