• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Fresh look at the squad

patrick42uk

Established Member
We had a few threads on this at the end of the season but I think now is a good time to have a look at the squad again, given the recent sales and the identification of the system we intend to employ. I think we all agree its 4-5-1/4-3-3.

Defence

Clichy/Gibbs
Sagna/?
Gallas/Silvestre
Vermaelen/Djourou

Midfield

Ramsey/Cesc
Denilson/Song/Diaby
Rosicky/NAsri

Attack

Theo/Bendtner
Arshavin/Vela
Eduardo/Robin

So where do people feel the need is in terms of personnel? First off, I think thats a strong squad, capable of obtaining top 4. However, it lacks a back up to Sagna to replace Eboue. Other than that, its arguable that we lack a quality, experienced defensive option in midfield. The barrier to this happening is the numbers- Wenger IMO would have to sell again before he can buy. I really like the attack as it is. I think it has goals and creativity in equal measure as well as versatility as all three are capable of playing in any of the three available slots.

qs

Established Member
Is there a need for this thread? Considering this is just another "who do we need" thread whats the point.

fabo

6.51 / 10
The main reason we are tinkering around trying to recreate Barca's 4-3-3 is because the central midfield isn't strong enough to cope playing 4-4-2. If we buy that CM the world knows we need we can revert back to that withouth fear of being overran and outfought by teams we should be battering at home.

Not sure about a 4-3-3 but 4-4-2 can easily look like that on occasions - only worry about 4-3-3 is that it tends to morph into a 4-5-1 with an isolated forward and Cesc providing support. The dynamism from midfield just isn't there IMO to make it work, bar Arsh of course.

Necessary:
- CM
- Eboue replacement should he go

Ideally but won't happen:
- Turf out one of Phil/Silvestre and buy a commanding CB.

Pretty much the same as it was in May, though we are arguably weaker.

baccy_man

Established Member
this is great first we get this,

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11670_5461621,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 21,00.html</a>

followed by this,

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11670_5461729,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 29,00.html</a>

are we going to have a team to put out the way things are going.

Illusion

Established Member
We're going to do the quadruple this season, that squad is just amazing, there's definitely no need to bring anyone else in.

the dawn raids

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
Midfield

Ramsey/Cesc
Denilson/Song/Diaby
Rosicky/Nasri

2 of those options are now hurt before weve even kicked a ball in a meaningful game. one isnt even 20 yet, and three of the other four are all questionable in regards to their ability to be full-time consistent first team contributors.

so once again its obvious where our weakness lies. but thats not fresh; thats the same festering problem thats plagued this squad for some time.

Illusion

Established Member
the dawn raids said:
patrick42uk said:
Midfield

Ramsey/Cesc
Denilson/Song/Diaby
Rosicky/Nasri

2 of those options are now hurt before weve even kicked a ball in a meaningful game. one isnt even 20 yet, and three of the other four are all questionable in regards to their ability to be full-time consistent first team contributors.

so once again its obvious where our weakness lies. but thats not fresh; thats the same festering problem thats plagued this squad for some time.

Diaby is also injury prone, he always ends up with little niggling injuries that mean he could not be a consistent starter in this team either.

Song is gone to the ANC and he's not performing particularly well either.

Denilson is decent but not really exceptional and exceptional is what we want, he is our most reliable player however, he played the most amount of games last season.

Rosicky we cannot really rely upon as he's already injured again even if it's a light injury. It would be folly to assume he could play 30+ games this season.

Ramsey is a brilliant talent, but he's not at the level where he can be a regular starter against top opposition without it weakening us. He would get minced against Essien or Mascherano for example.

Nasri is injured already, although he did alright last season we'll have to hope he comes back from his injury quickly and suffers no further setbacks (which almost all of our players seem to).

Fabregas is the man, he has to stay fit and play at his best all season for us to look remotely good in midfield. If we lose him for any period then we're going to suffer bigtime.

So basically, that midfield looks wafer thin. Worse than all of our main rivals (although Pool may lose Alonso), probably worse than City as well. Even Villa and Everton look pretty strong in midfield compared to the players we've just listed.

You could add Theo and Arshavin too, but Theo will get injured and he's going to be playing further up the pitch, much like Arshavin. It's also important to note that neither of them are particularly good at protecting the full back behind them so I'd be less inclined to call them midfielders.

kel varnsen

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
We had a few threads on this at the end of the season but I think now is a good time to have a look at the squad again, given the recent sales and the identification of the system we intend to employ. I think we all agree its 4-5-1/4-3-3.

Defence

Clichy/Gibbs
Sagna/?
Gallas/Silvestre
Vermaelen/Djourou

Midfield

Ramsey/Cesc
Denilson/Song/Diaby
Rosicky/NAsri

Attack

Theo/Bendtner
Arshavin/Vela
Eduardo/Robin

song is primarily a cb now i think. Wilshere will probably get a few games as well this summer, so he should be included in the midfield set up.

with eboue on his way out, i think we need a rb cover. not sure who'd fit the bill. as for the rest of the squad, i'm not sure. in a 4-3-3 formation rvp, eduardo, vela, theo, arshavin, bendtner and even rosicky could play on the wings. in central midfield, we have cesc, rosicky, nasri, ramsey, denilson, diaby, song and Wilshere. again, quite a few options. about 12-13 players for 6 positions. i can see why wenger could say that we do not necessarily need any more signings and i wouldn't be surprised if we only bring in a rb before the season starts...

wenger has probably a lot of faith in ramsey, vela and bendtner this season. when i look at the squad, i think it has a nice balance, but a rb and a top class central midfielder would be nice. xabi alonso or someone similar. a strong midfielder with an eye for a pass.

kel varnsen

Established Member
Illusion said:
Ramsey is a brilliant talent, but he's not at the level where he can be a regular starter against top opposition without it weakening us. He would get minced against Essien or Mascherano for example.

based on what? i think ramsey would do perfectly fine against both essien and mascherano. ramsey might be young, but the ability is there. i think ramsey will have a good season this year.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Depressing squad, half that team will be crocked after a few months. ****ing football!

Illusion

Established Member
kel varnsen said:
Illusion said:

based on what? i think ramsey would do perfectly fine against both essien and mascherano. ramsey might be young, but the ability is there. i think ramsey will have a good season this year.

Based on the fact that Essien is a monster almost on the level of Vieira/Keane and Mascherano is a little terrier who torments his opponents in the centre of the pitch, whilst Ramsey is a relatively untested and inexperienced youngster?

When I think of our best three midfielders lining up against Essien/Ballack/Lampard I have to laugh to myself at how big the gap really is between us and the club I deem favourites for the league this season.

kel varnsen

Established Member
Illusion said:
kel varnsen said:
Illusion said:

Based on the fact that Essien is a monster almost on the level of Vieira/Keane and Mascherano is a little terrier who torments his opponents in the centre of the pitch, whilst Ramsey is a relatively untested and inexperienced youngster?

so what? experience is vastly overrated here. some players don't need a lot of experience to step up and fulfill their potential on the pitch. i think ramsey could be such a player. he's tenacious and unafraid.

Proof

Established Member
It's the same old story, this team needs a defensive-midfielder, a centre-back and a striker. We are starting to look ridiculous saying the same things all over again, but for sure nobody will look so ridiculous like Wenger, if he doesn't win a major trophy.

otfgoon

Established Member
We're in the same situation as we were at the start of the summer (before Varmaelen). We need a centre back and a centre mid and that squad starts to look very competitive. Only difference is we have around an extra 40m to invest.

As for Ramsey, I'm with Kel. His age means he's likely to have a few poor games here and there but overall I think he can make a big contribution this year, maybe even to an extent that Cesc can be given a breather here and there.

patrick42uk

Established Member
I think Ramsey could really step up this year to. I feel much more confident about giving him that chance in a 3 man midfield.

I know its controversial to say it, but I think I agree with Wenger that we the need for a new player isnt as desperate as the sale of two first 11 players would suggest.

qs

Established Member
Illusion said:
kel varnsen said:
Illusion said:

Ramsey isn't easily bullied. His energy levels are massive too and he's extremely committed those guys wont trouble him. Its more about him getting his passing game going and getting into the flow of the team.

fabo

6.51 / 10
But Ramsey has looked everything like a championship player with no experience so far. Don't think he's anywhere near stepping up this season.

AFCG7

Established Member
Take Rosicky out.. it will be a miracle if he can give us over 30 games this season.

Latest posts

Top Bottom