• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Gabriel Jesus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Been consistent with my thoughts on Jesus since we were first linked to him - he’s an improvement on what we had last season but not the 20-25 goal answer we were hoping for.

If he can play in that Man City side, with unparalleled creativity feeding him, and come away with 10-15 goals per season - he’s unlikely to start banging in 20+ under Arteta’s rigid system.

However, he does have good creative numbers and at only 25, maybe his finishing and goal numbers can improve. Our front 3 has potential to be very interchangeable and exciting too, if Arteta will loosen up on his rigidity.

Not to sound all negative, I’m sure he’ll do well and if Raphinha signs on top, it’s as exciting a front line as we’ve had in years. But, a Tammy/Scamacca/DCL in addition to Jesus would have been much more interesting in my opinion.

I too have been consistent with my thoughts on this and whole heartedly agree with your opening sentence, but taken some more time over the weekend and broadened my perspective a litte.

It's been so long since we had a striker who could contribute off the ball that I feel we need to think about this a little differently.

Now hear me out - I am not for ONE second comparing G. Jesus to Benzema talent wise, but for many years, when Real Madrid were scoring 90+ goals, he was often criticised for being lacking ruthlessness. He scored 16 in 2 seasons from 2016-18 (over 61 games) in La Liga with a Real Madrid that was dominating Europe.

Yet I honestly believe his role was massively underrated - drift wide, pull defenders out of position, and create space for others. Out of possession - press high and force turnovers. He made everyone around him better, and was a big game player.

I don't think G. Jesus will get near Benzema's output in goals or assists, but I do think (and I include myself in this) we need to revise our perception of his goalscoring numbers based on the role he played at City.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
He's not going to be getting as many chances at Arsenal but you'd hope the consistent game time would maybe even that out a little.

I'm torn with this, City create chances for fun but they also have like 5/6 players lined up waiting for the ball and its like you got to wait your turn to get yours.

Where as Arsenal I imagine will be a bit more direct through him.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Will be interesting to see how he performs. I don't personally rate him very highly but he's certainly a skilled player and still quite young. Its kind of a mystery to me how he hasn't scored more goals, because he looks like someone who scores goals when you watch him play.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I too have been consistent with my thoughts on this and whole heartedly agree with your opening sentence, but taken some more time over the weekend and broadened my perspective a litte.

It's been so long since we had a striker who could contribute off the ball that I feel we need to think about this a little differently.

Now hear me out - I am not for ONE second comparing G. Jesus to Benzema, but for many years, when Real Madrid were scoring 90+ goals, he was often criticised for being more of a functional forward than a goalscorer.

Yet I honestly believe that's the role he was required to play - drift wide, pull defenders out of position, and create space for others. Out of possession - press high and force turnovers.

I don't think G. Jesus will get near Benzema's output in goals or assists, but I do think (and I include myself in this) we need to revise our perception of his goalscoring numbers based on the role he played at City.

Great point. Benzema's numbers also increased a lot when Ronaldo left, taking on more responsibility for the team actually made him even better than he was before. Hopefully something similar happens with GJ.

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
Been consistent with my thoughts on Jesus since we were first linked to him - he’s an improvement on what we had last season but not the 20-25 goal answer we were hoping for.

If he can play in that Man City side, with unparalleled creativity feeding him, and come away with 10-15 goals per season - he’s unlikely to start banging in 20+ under Arteta’s rigid system.

However, he does have good creative numbers and at only 25, maybe his finishing and goal numbers can improve. Our front 3 has potential to be very interchangeable and exciting too, if Arteta will loosen up on his rigidity.

Not to sound all negative, I’m sure he’ll do well and if Raphinha signs on top, it’s as exciting a front line as we’ve had in years. But, a Tammy/Scamacca/DCL in addition to Jesus would have been much more interesting in my opinion.

There seems to be an assumption Jesus played as a pure 9 and the creative machine of Man City fed him none stop. That didn't happen, he dropped deep, presses and defends and helps create for his teammates. He only had a total of 44 shots all season scoring 8 goals at a rate of a goal for every 5.5 shots. That's a better conversion rate than Harry Kane and Aubameyang this season. Have a look:

It also looks like we're adding Raphina, so a free flowing front 3 of Jesus, Saka and Raphina would give us 3 pacey players who can all beat a couple of players and all press like crazy

Game Over

He only had a total of 44 shots all season scoring 8 goals at a rate of a goal for every 5.5 shots. That's a better conversion rate than Harry Kane and Aubameyang this season.

That’s a nice stat to be fair. Hopefully we see him step up after moving from one of many at City to more a focal point at Arsenal.

Game Over

Now hear me out - I am not for ONE second comparing G. Jesus to Benzema talent wise, but for many years, when Real Madrid were scoring 90+ goals, he was often criticised for being lacking ruthlessness. He scored 16 in 2 seasons from 2016-18 (over 61 games) in La Liga with a Real Madrid that was dominating Europe.

Yet I honestly believe his role was massively underrated - drift wide, pull defenders out of position, and create space for others. Out of possession - press high and force turnovers. He made everyone around him better, and was a big game player.

Those are good points. With Saka, Martinelli, ESR and hopefully Raphinha as our winger options a high pressing feeder like Jesus could be our Benzema/Firminho type forward. Could create plenty of goals with those options.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
I'd take Jesus over all theirnforward players but Harlaand.

The level of disrespect for a 25 year old Brazillian with 56 caps and 19 goals is mad.

I'd take plenty including Jesus, I'd happily take Mahrez, Sterling, Foden, Grealish and obviously Haaland.

We finished 5th, the forwards at City won the league and werent far off a CL.

Anyone from there front line would without doubt improve us.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
I'd take plenty including Jesus, I'd happily take Mahrez, Sterling, Foden, Grealish and obviously Haaland.

We finished 5th, the forwards at City won the league and werent far off a CL.

Anyone from there front line would without doubt improve us.

Oh I'd take all their forwards but I'd take Jesus over all them but Harlaand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom