• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gabriel Magalhães: O Monstro

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik 🟥

Player:Havertz
So you really think that our lack of creativity was mainly down to Auba? I’ll give you that Lacazette being in the team now has balanced out our play and he has done really well. I still don’t think Auba is main reason why we’ve failed to created chances, it’s was obviously a systematic issue as we’ve created chances in the past with Auba scoring 20+ goals in the PL, this isn’t Space Jam whereby he miraculously loses his ability overnight.

In terms of Martinelli, he wasn’t even in Arteta’s plans initially and very few on here were making a fuss about him starting games for us but now everyone seems to be on the bandwagon. Interesting 🤔

Anyways, I don’t want to repeat myself multiple times but I’ve already said I won’t be criticising players based on that game yesterday including that Martinelli miss as that’s the best I’ve seen us play in a while and we were cheated.
No I don’t think our slide offensively was down to him alone but he certainly was a large contributing factor. As poor as the midfield was playing Saka and ESR were getting chances and either creating or scoring goals prior to Auba’s drop. I agree though you can’t scapegoat him for all of it. Ode coming in also provided better service to the front 3 that Auba could of used. I just don’t think the fans went after him or the drop was unjust. But otherwise fair enough

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Xhaka would have got battered in all those away games, it's no coincidence our away form went down the toilet when we signed him...the only thing that saved him from a mauling v Pool or Brighton, was injury.

I am happy with both this season, overall they have been a decent pair for us...they seem to get the best out of eachother, though I feel Partey does do more for Xhaka...if Granit can play well without Partey this month (especially the Sp**s game) then I will hold my hands up.

Partey has had some very good games this season, the City game was his best but it hasn't been a one off...we wouldn't be in the position to challenge for Champions League football if he was as bad as people make out.

Agree on Pool but Brighton, I’m not too sure about. Had Xhaka been playing alongside Partey in that game, we’d have a lot more control of the midfield. We had 41% possession in that game and made 355 passes whilst Brighton made 497.

Our midfield has probably been the weakest area of the pitch for us and we’ve been lucky to make it to the position we’re in, with the way we’ve been underperforming and the options we have but recency bias has clouded your judgement regarding Partey. He’s clearly underperformed and hasn’t looked the player we were all expecting.

Last summer, I kept on saying that we have to strengthen in midfield as that should have been our main priority but we failed to do so. I seriously think that if we fail to do so in this window, it’ll cost us in our race for 4th and I’m sure most of the forum would agree with that.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
He’s clearly underperformed and hasn’t looked the player we were all expecting.

Agree with this...it did feel like we were getting a Vieira level midfielder, especially after his Champions League masterclass v Liverpool.

Though as I say, he's not been as bad as a lot of people make out either...still our best CM, with plenty of quality games since he arrived.

Farzad Stoned

Agree with this...it did feel like we were getting a Vieira level midfielder, especially after his Champions League masterclass v Liverpool.

Though as I say, he's not been as bad as a lot of people make out either...still our best CM, with plenty of quality games since he arrived.
Additionally the guy came in mid season last year, was hurt for first few matches this year. He will get better you can see it, plus there is the simple fact that Xhaka is slow. It is just an objective reality that the man lacks pace in comparison to our other midfield options. Despite one player adjusting to a new environment Partey for me has also been clearly better

Riou

Back to Gabriel, I don't think I would swap him for any other CB in the world.

He's not the best in the world in that position, but he's our rock and probably our most important player (think if he's not playing for us, the drop off in our team is the biggest) feel another masterclass v Sp**s (and v Kane specifically) from Big Gab when he's back!

Farzad Stoned

Back to Gabriel, I don't think I would swap him for any other CB in the world.

He's not the best in the world in that position, but he's our rock and probably our most important player (think if he's not playing for us, the drop off in our team is the biggest) feel another masterclass v Sp**s (and v Kane specifically) from Big Gab when he's back!
So it would be logical to not be as upset at Gabriel as Xhaka. The difference in fan’s reaction is due to logical reasons in terms of the regularity of brain farts. One guy is a serial offender one guy isn’t, no mystery here

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

You lot have been waiting for Gabriel to slip up. Let's not mess around, Gabby has been better than White this season. White gets help from Tomiyasu. Gabriel often has to defend out wide because Tierney bombs forwards.
I've never uttered a bad word about Gabriel before so no. I've been waiting for him to develop beyond what seems to be his ceiling so far. He has not been a problem whatsoever until this game but his outbursts were not mere brainfarts. He's been better than White but White has a much higher ceiling in this system. Hopefully, his emotional outbursts were just because of the worst ref in sports being an idiot.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
People need chill, we forget the likes of keown, Adams have all had red cards in their career. People forget OT in 2003 where everyone went mental on RVN.

Gabriel will learn from this and be more street smart on the pitch.

Regarding Xhaka, he just did another Xhaka. Remember a few games back, can't remember which one, he was fortunate not to get a red card.

Gabriel got the red, but Xhaka gave away another daft pen. I don't mind having a lose cannon on the team, but he's no PV or Cantona to compensate it with talent.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
His rashness may have cost us the game but Gabriel is imho our best CB & a very important member of our young core. I love his character & fight.
Too many on here always need to vent & must lay blame at someone door. Be it manager or a player.
Xhaka is a strange one. I can actually appreciate some of his qualities & so dont mind him despite the faults. However would have been quite happy to see him go in summer if Roma had paid a fair fee & we got a good replacement.

Fact is even if you cant stand him he has still been our best midfielder for the last 5 years despite his limitations until Partey arrived.
Yes we would like an upgrade.

Obviously he is well respected & a very important figure in the dressing room.
Fans perhaps dont always understand the importance of that.

Auba is a little more tricky to get a handle on, he was a hero as said in the FA Cup run & because of that imho had credit in the bank (Far more than the manager got for the Cup win).

However for various reasons he struggled last season & has not been at his best this term. The manager tbf stuck with him but he is now sidelined.

I really like Auba but you would be blinkered if not concerned that the highest earner at the club has not really produced since signing his mega contract. Added to that fact is that the Captain is not setting the best example off the pitch.
(perhaps its a result of feeling stung recently by Özil or even Willian its always a worry when a player on big bucks into his 30s stops producing as you start to wonder he is now over the hill.

Thats just the simple reality of the situation unfortunately & unless you are a total Auba fanboi who lacks balance you will see that.

Maybe people have gone in too hard on him but for balance it seemed the far louder types on here were attacking the manager rather than Auba when he was first left out of the side.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Where was Tierney when Xhaka went Xhaka mode anyways?

Not starting anything cause I know how it gets on here when it comes to Tesco bags, but I remember this fixture earlier this season it was the same thing.
I've already asked this in the Xhaka thread. You'll see Xhaka next to Tierney in a back five as the match progresses lol. Back to Gabriel, it was a poor sending off but him and Tomi could do with the other two needing less codling.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
That point is nothing new, I even made it last season but maybe you didn’t come across it as it was hidden between all of those negative posts in the Xhaka thread.

Regardless of what 98% of the people think, even the biggest Xhaka hater can’t dispute that’s he’s currently our best midfielder as Thomas Partey has been underperforming (excluding the game yesterday).
I do dispute that Xhaka is our best midfielder. Give me a sub par Partey over him anyway. Let's see how our best midfielder nurses poor Sambi though the next six weeks. Back to Gabriel, he our best CB. Yesterday's red doesn't change that.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
100 red card in the top flight. Highest in the PL ever and yet the pundits call us a bunch of fannies. Meanwhile the likes of stokes and Burnley are allowed to get away with murder ffs.

berric

Established Member

Player:Trossard
100 red card in the top flight. Highest in the PL ever and yet the pundits call us a bunch of fannies. Meanwhile the likes of stokes and Burnley are allowed to get away with murder ffs.

It's a disgrace. The way FA treated this club under Wenger could be a documentary in itself.

First team to reach 100 red cards in PL while most of us are old enough to have witnessed Diaby, Eduardo, and Ramsey incidents and a bunch of "niggling" injuries to players that were consequence of other teams going all out knowing they'll get away with anything.

Xln

Get me Jesus on the phone 📲
Spot on.

Remember that instant yellow for Holding's first foul that wasn't worse than Rodri's tackle on Saka?

Can't make this **** up

Riou

That thunder-**** Atwell, just let a Leeds player away with no booking, for pretty much the same foul that Gabriel got sent off for.

The gimp couldn't wait to whip out the cards for us though :mad:

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
That thunder-**** Atwell, just let a Leeds player away with no booking, for pretty much the same foul that Gabriel got sent off for.

The gimp couldn't wait to whip out the cards for us though :mad:
Atwell obviously has a bit of a rep. MOTD were laughing at a fan who was slating the ref. Every other word was Attwell but he wasn't even the ref on the day lol. Has he been see anywhere since? A four year demotion and he still can't cut it. He should be sacked.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Rash and shakey again tonight, he's lucky he has White's hand to hold, and Tierney's.

Top Bottom