• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gabriel Magalhães: Not Our Only Signing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
He seems to be really rash and makes bad decisions, we don't need another Koscielny type. Hope he improves though.

Look at it this way.

Just like Per helped bring the best out of Kos, Holding will bring the best out of Gabriel.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
I'd agree he's been rash at times but all our best defensive displays this season have came from him, his performance against Kane was quality for example. For a 23 year old, new to the league in a team that's been really struggling I'd say he's had a decent year. He's a different league to Mari who'd struggle to get into any sides in the top 10-15.
I feel like Mari is the better player from what I’ve seen tbh, Gabriel is better physically but Mari just makes the better choices. Gabriel lowkey might have been our worse CB this season.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I feel like Mari is the better player from what I’ve seen tbh, Gabriel is better physically but Mari just makes the better choices. Gabriel lowkey might have been our worse CB this season.
Nah Mari makes errors in every match, he's been very poor, most recent one was him allowing Havertz through at Chelsea but there's a long list. Given that Holding/Gabriel ended the season I'm kind of hoping Arteta is veering off the Mari experiment, imagine him trying to keep up with Zaha like Gabriel did for example?

Riou

You could argue Gabriel has been both our best and worst CB this season, well bar Mustafi.

Gabriel's style of play is high risk high reward, he's our only defender that can do press high...so sometimes he will pocket Kane, other times Watkins will score a brace against us...the way he plays, his performances will range from great to crap, especially being young and in his first season in the country.

He will hopefully improve with experience, as he gets used to the league, and he won't be so inconsistent...he's got the most potential of all our defenders this season.

BigPoppaPump

Nah Mari makes errors in every match, he's been very poor, most recent one was him allowing Havertz through at Chelsea but there's a long list. Given that Holding/Gabriel ended the season I'm kind of hoping Arteta is veering off the Mari experiment, imagine him trying to keep up with Zaha like Gabriel did for example?
Actually yeah Mari has been pretty poor a lot of the time I just remember his good performances Gab was way better. Gabriel has a lot of upsides so we should keep playing him but I just feel he looks clumsy at times and can be too rash and I never like that in a CB.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Actually yeah Mari has been pretty poor a lot of the time I just remember his good performances Gab was way better. Gabriel has a lot of upsides so we should keep playing him but I just feel he looks clumsy at times and can be too rash and I never like that in a CB.
Yeah I don't like the rashness either, as you say we saw enough of that with Koscielny, but I'm hopeful it's because Gabriel is still young and he will keep improving but we'll just have to wait and see.

It doesn't help any of our CB's either to be fair that they don't know who their partner is going to be week to week. I really think it would do us the world of good if Arteta picks a pair and plays them every match, I don't see the need for rotation in that position.

BigPoppaPump

You could argue Gabriel has been both our best and worst CB this season, well bar Mustafi.

Gabriel's style of play is high risk high reward, he's our only defender that can do press high...so sometimes he will pocket Kane, other times Watkins will score a brace against us...the way he plays, his performances will range from great to crap, especially being young and in his first season in the country.

He will hopefully improve with experience, as he gets used to the league, and he won't be so inconsistent...he's got the most potential of all our defenders this season.
You’re right I think Koscielny was the same but he never got that out of his game. Im not the biggest fan of that type but when it works it works.

Riou

You’re right I think Koscielny was the same but he never got that out of his game. Im not the biggest fan of that type but when it works it works.

Don't think those types of defenders ever get it out of their game, it's about reducing it as much as possible.

Don't even think you have an agenda against Kos anymore, just think those types of CBs aren't your thing as you say.

GunnerShy

Agree to an extent. He spent a lot of the season oscillating between excellent and awful.

Some days his passing was solid. Some days awful.

Some days his physicality and aggression saw him pocket players that often terrorise us, others he lunged in rashly for cards and penalties.

Given that he has a range of passing and the physicality he's definitely our highest ceiling defending bar perhaps Saliba.

BigPoppaPump

Don't think those types of defenders ever get it out of their game, it's about reducing it as much as possible.

Don't even think you have an agenda against Kos anymore, just think those types of CBs aren't your thing as you say.
I never have an agenda it's always nuanced. I like Gabriel over Kos because he has more physical presence so if we can find the best system to fit it I won't mind.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Poisoned by the contaminated Rob Holding. Put a decent cb next to him and he'll excel again.

Love his bursts from defence.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
Brilliant first part last season. Came back after covid in poor form for a period of time but then found decent form again when partnered with Holdini (they have formed a formidable partnership).

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

We already have to deal with AFCON, now Gabriel has been called up for the Tokyo Olympics. He will miss at least our first two opening games.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

We already have to deal with AFCON, now Gabriel has been called up for the Tokyo Olympics. He will miss at least our first two opening games.

jose mourinho GIF

Riou

Can't wait for Gabriel to win this competition, just so he can say...

"I won an Olympic gold medal, with a broken freakin' tooth!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom