• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gabriel Martinelli: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Why is he wasted outside? The best forwards in the world are playing on the wing, Neymar included.
Yep, he’s not wasted out wide at all, people just worked up over their own personal preferences.

If he’s good enough, out wide or central is of no real consequence.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Sheffield United has overlapping CBs.

1) So are they CBs or wingers?
Both.
2) Are they central players or wide players?
Both.

We can’t see position the same way as it is in the past. Because position is a static concept.
It does give you a general reference or idea of how a player plays, but in a real match, players move around on the pitch.

Generally speaking, a player is usually assigned a position (position A) in the defending phase, near our own box. And a position (position B) in the attacking phase, near the opponent box. How he gets from A to B is the general movement.

(Can be more than just A and B. For example, defensive phase=A, build up phase=B, final third=C. But these positional reference points should be kind of logically related. You won’t have a CB, who is a left back in the build up and a right winger in the final third. So I just use 2 positional reference points in the example.)

If aubameyang/martinelli are instructed to say wide in the final third, then I will agree that their finishing quality are wasted. But to me, they looked pretty central to me in the opponent’s box despite starting out wide.

Last edited:

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

We can’t see position the same way as it is in the past. Because position is a static concept.
It does give you a general reference or idea of how a player plays, but in a real match, players move around on the pitch.
It’s like when someone asked De Bruyne what position he plays and he replied it depends on the opposition.

You just have to look at how Liverpool’s full backs play or how Aubameyang plays. Their positions are merely labels. I agree with you, the concept of positions being static and rigid is becoming outdated the higher you go up the table.

It’s good to have a manager like Arteta as this type of tactical nous seems vital nowadays and this seems to be his expertise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom