• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gabriel Martinelli: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

roz

Fake News Merchant
I think this is the main thing and people are slyly ****ting on Saka and Nelson's mentality. The latter two have shown nothing that calls their mentality into question.
No one is is ****ting on their mentality. Its a valid discussion considering both Saka and Nelsons game time. Everyone wants them to do well, probably more than big money signings.

boyinneedofhumor

Seeing all 3 of Martinelli, Pepe and Aubameyang score in the same game was a delight. Doesn't have to be only one or the other.

Could apply similarly in the case of Martinelli, Saka and Nelson
(Add in Nketiah, ESR, Willock etc as preferred)

Perhaps its akin to a biking convoy. At any time one takes the lead ; at different intervals others might take over.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
Martinelli has to start now, he's got an elite mentality and football intelligence, and has the raw physical attributes to put everything together to be a world class forward.

His movement for the goal vs West Ham made him unmarkable and gave him an easy tap in. It's an instinct that Auba has and seemingly Martinelli has, and you can't really teach.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I think this is the main thing and people are slyly ****ting on Saka and Nelson's mentality. The latter two have shown nothing that calls their mentality into question.
Precisely. Martinelli - ginormous talent though he is - has built a solid foundation off of games he already played. Those games may be at a lower level, but that's still far more match experience than the vast majority of our academy players, who've hardly gone on loans and the ones that have, don't play as often as we'd like them to.

Both Saka and Nelson have yet to sustain a long run against fully grown men for long enough to build that kind of assuredness and comfort at this level. There's still that little bit of nerves - even in someone relentless like Saka who's had such a steep trajectory in a short space of time, even quicker than Nelson who I feel is the bigger talent. They're gonna hit walls from time to time, especially at this level, Willock just hit one a few games ago.

I like Martinelli and I think he's 100% earned every plaudit and every minute of game time he's been given. But I could never use him as a stick to wave at Nelson and Saka. We have to show them support IMO, and hope that they're also afforded opportunities to show how good they can be.

kofigunner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

GDeep™

League is very weak
That tournament will decide South American representation in the Olympics. Martinelli must go if selected, I’m sure he’ll want to go represent his country.

HaffBR

Designer of fancy pyramids
Precisely. Martinelli - ginormous talent though he is - has built a solid foundation off of games he already played. Those games may be at a lower level, but that's still far more match experience than the vast majority of our academy players, who've hardly gone on loans and the ones that have, don't play as often as we'd like them to.

Both Saka and Nelson have yet to sustain a long run against fully grown men for long enough to build that kind of assuredness and comfort at this level. There's still that little bit of nerves - even in someone relentless like Saka who's had such a steep trajectory in a short space of time, even quicker than Nelson who I feel is the bigger talent. They're gonna hit walls from time to time, especially at this level, Willock just hit one a few games ago.

I like Martinelli and I think he's 100% earned every plaudit and every minute of game time he's been given. But I could never use him as a stick to wave at Nelson and Saka. We have to show them support IMO, and hope that they're also afforded opportunities to show how good they can be.

No problem about hit the wall, Özil has been doing that for a while and doesn't even care. Arsenal as it stands will hit the wall badly against City, including Martinelli if he play.

Beyond the jokes, I see the majority of Arsenal'youngsters with potential to be part of the XI in the future, and whoever has on better form to play.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

No one is is ****ting on their mentality. Its a valid discussion considering both Saka and Nelsons game time. Everyone wants them to do well, probably more than big money signings.
You don't speak for everyone.

I've seen plenty of posts lauding Martinelli's mentality and linking it to why he's done much better than Saka and Nelson. There's an implication therefore that the latter two are lacking in that department. I don't think that's the case, Martinelli is just a better player and a part of that is probably due to his experience playing with grown men for a longer time.

...and I've just seen mutable say the same thing but in a much better way.:lol:

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

I've seen plenty of posts lauding Martinelli's mentality and linking it to why he's done much better than Saka and Nelson. There's an implication therefore that the latter two are lacking in that department. I don't think that's the case, Martinelli is just a better player and a part of that is probably due to his experience playing with grown men for a longer time.

I think yours was a lot more concise to be fair :lol:

But yeah, his game time is the factor.

HaffBR

Designer of fancy pyramids
I don't know if his playing time would give certain advantages that Martinelli has shown in this limited period of time. To me in the little I've seen of these players, Martinelli is much better defensively speaking than both Saka and Nelson, for example. He tracks back a lot more, he presses a lot more, he defends better. Saka had some sloppy moments in defense, against Liverpool reserves for example.

I don't know if Martinelli's experience has exactly to do with it. I think this is more desire to help the team in all areas and physical ability (stamina mainly) to keep doing it over and over again.

roz

Fake News Merchant

I think its a fair and valid discussion, they are comparable really.
All have been given starts for first team games over the past year and a half. Dont think Martinelli is any different in that regard although you keep mentioning hes been playing with grown men for longer? Pretty sure that isnt the case anyways.
As I said, everyone loves it when an academy star makes it. Everyone wants that to happen but for every Jack Wilshere theres a jermaine Pennant or a david bentley. Thats where the concern for mental strength comes in and rightly so!

Kav

Established Member
This kid has some serious intelligence. If you watch his games he does things that you really can't teach. EITHER YOU HAVE IT OR DON'T AND HE HAS IT.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

This kid has some serious intelligence. If you watch his games he does things that you really can't teach. EITHER YOU HAVE IT OR DON'T AND HE HAS IT.

At this moment in time I wonder if you even read other people's posts :lol:

I posted a virtually identical post yesterday evening :lol:

Kav

Established Member
At this moment in time I wonder if you even read other people's posts :lol:

I posted a virtually identical post yesterday evening :lol:
Am I to read every post in this thread to suit you? No, nor will I. I don't have time for that.

I am just giving my opinion and If you shared a similar point of view, that is okay.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Am I to read every post in this thread to suit you? No, nor will I. I don't have time for that.

I am just giving my opinion and If you shared a similar point of view, that is okay.

Oh give over, bro. it was just a bit of light hearted banter. I don't want a **** measuring contest (although I'd win, obviously).

boyinneedofhumor

Noooooo:facepalm:
“After being handed his first Brazil Under-23s call-up last month, Martinelli could feature in the CONMEBOL Pre-Olympic Tournament in Colombia from January 18 to February 9.

As a result, Martinelli would miss their Premier League games away at Chelsea and Burnley plus home clashes with Sheffield United and Newcastle , as well as the FA Cup fourth round”.
Oh well.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/freddie-ljungbergs-message-gabriel-martinelli-21068784
Agent Edu + Gilberto + Sylvinho

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jul/30/edu-arsenal-brazil-gilberto-silva

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom