• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gabriel Martinelli: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Cool short video on Martinelli. Signing of the season for me easily.

Most of you bums voted Tierney after 2 months shame on you.
Hopefully his knee heals he locks down that left side next season God willing.

Bloodbather

Established Member

I hope we don't think of him as a LW going forward and get a young CF for the long-term. This is a world-class CF in the making.

GeorgiaGunner

#FreeClaude
I hope we don't think of him as a LW going forward and get a young CF for the long-term. This is a world-class CF in the making.
I’m kind of indifferent on exact position. The modern game permits goals to come from a lot more spaces, so as long as he’s given the sole directive of “go score,” I think we’ll be fine.

We’ve seen tons of talents ‘converted’ here (usually to WBs, haha) so it’s understandable to be gun-shy.

Bloodbather

Established Member

I’m kind of indifferent on exact position. The modern game permits goals to come from a lot more spaces, so as long as he’s given the sole directive of “go score,” I think we’ll be fine.

It's less the goals and more the link-up play and work rate that I'm thinking about. Really could see Martinelli developing into a better goal-scoring Firmino, that'd be an immense player. Not to mention that it allows him to co-exist with Saka who seems to be our LW for the future.

GeorgiaGunner

#FreeClaude
It's less the goals and more the link-up play and work rate that I'm thinking about. Really could see Martinelli developing into a better goal-scoring Firmino, that'd be an immense player.
Point taken, but even that can be fluid, in the right system with right responsibilities + license.

I personally would play him a little further forward than Firmino. Think one of the reasons Firmino lacks goals is because he’s tasked with doing so much else (e.g. his average position is always further back than that of Salah and usually Mane as well), so ‘adding goals’ is easier said than done — he’d be one of the best 3-4 players in the world if he managed to score 20+ in the league too. More importantly, Liverpool have 2 WC wing/forwards that (in a sense) ‘free’ him to excel in his other duties. We’ll need goals from somewhere, and won’t have that luxury.

Bloodbather

Established Member

Point taken, but even that can be fluid, in the right system with right responsibilities + license.

I personally would play him a little further forward than Firmino. Think one of the reasons Firmino lacks goals is because he’s tasked with doing so much else (e.g. his average position is always further back than that of Salah and usually Mane as well), so ‘adding goals’ is easier said than done — he’d be one of the best 3-4 players in the world if he managed to score 20+ in the league too. More importantly, Liverpool have 2 WC wing/forwards that (in a sense) ‘free’ him to excel in his other duties. We’ll need goals from somewhere, and won’t have that luxury.

I don't disagree with that, I'm just talking about the attributes - not saying he should be a false-nine in the future.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Martinelli should be a CF. He really comes alive when he comes centrally. He is wasted outside, not only is he a really good header of the ball, but his quick feet, pace, technique and composure really is exceptional for someone so young.

He can be a worldclass CF.
All he just needs is to bulk up

Manberg

Predator
Martinelli should be a CF. He really comes alive when he comes centrally. He is wasted outside, not only is he a really good header of the ball, but his quick feet, pace, technique and composure really is exceptional for someone so young.

Why is he wasted outside? The best forwards in the world are playing on the wing, Neymar included.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

Agree 100%. He’s a deadly finisher in the box and playing off the shoulder. Another underrated aspect of his game is the precision of his headers from crosses.

Bayern obliterating everyone in Europe offensively (as Liverpool did last season) because they understand what having proper wingers on each flank can do.

Martinelli’s clinical instincts and composure when in on goal can’t be taught. Hold up play can.

Bloodbather

Established Member

Why is he wasted outside? The best forwards in the world are playing on the wing, Neymar included.

Wouldn't be playing to his strengths, really. He'd do well still, but his attributes seem much more well-suited to CF. It shows in his performances already.

Manberg

Predator
Wouldn't be playing to his strengths, really. He'd do well still, but his attributes seem much more well-suited to CF. It shows in his performances already.

His attributes are more suited on the wing in my opinion. Much like Auba. An Arsenal CF needs strength and possess the ability to hold the ball up, as well as being good in the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom