• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gabriel Martinelli: Dogged and Determined

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
If we're really honest about Martinelli, he hasn't done enough at this stage to justify being a starter. I want to see him succeed at Arsenal because he's got obvious quality to his attitude and his game. With Pepe and Laca ahead of him, he's the third choice attacking substitution. That's probably fine this side of Christmas with the cups, but he's going to need game time to develop and we should be looking at a loan in January unless we get injuries.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
He had a nice period under Emery and instead of building on that momentum, Arteta came in and benched him, plus that ugly injury later on completely killed his career here.
He doesn't have the technical capacity to play out wide, and the CF position is overcrowded already, meaning he has no chance at Arsenal any time soon.

Even if he does play, he's gonna struggle like all the other forwards we have but the difference is Auba and Laca have some credit in the bank they can use after a few ****ty games, this guy has nothing and he needs to perform the minute he gets on the pitch, and probably not even that will be enough.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

I just noticed Martinelli has an option for another year in his contract, so basically his contract is until 2025, which is great for us. Let's get him a loan.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
Not sure he's one that Arteta has ever been convinced about, his best form came under Emery.

With our decreased amount of games and given his age, he really should be out on loan somewhere. It's of no benefit to both the club and him to be sitting about for the majority of the season.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Didn't watch Brighton game but to be honest, no.

Loan leaves us too short, but I couldn't justify starting him with everybody fit. Arteta could be a bit more liberal with the subs, but that's still not enough for him.

He's way off ESR and even he's not guaranteed starting every match so it's difficult.
Leave us short? we have Balugon, nketiah, laca, auba, pepe, saka, esr and martinelli for 3 places. We play once a week which means less injuries. Both him and Balugin need to go out on loan

Kav

Established Member
Didn't watch Brighton game but to be honest, no.

Loan leaves us too short, but I couldn't justify starting him with everybody fit. Arteta could be a bit more liberal with the subs, but that's still not enough for him.

He's way off ESR and even he's not guaranteed starting every match so it's difficult.
Whats ibteredting sbout your opinion is thst when Martinelli first came here, SSR wasn't even being mentioned by fans.

The injury he suffered has significantly derailed his development. Secondly the opportunities for Martinelli to play are substsntially different from ESR. Martinelli is considered a forward/winger a d we ba r mang more options ahead of him. Whereas ESR is ci sidered a midfielder and as shch his ckmpetition for spaces are significantly less. This is the reason Saka was able to have his breakthrough because we were short at LB after Kolasinac's injury and he had the traits to play there. Emery knew he could play left mid having tried him there but when Kola went down he got a lot of minutes at Lb/LWB and it really put him in the spotlight.

I say all that to say that its not really ideal to compare the two players because of the positional differences as well as the philosophy of the manager. Arteta wants ball retention which is why he favours ESR and Ødegaard over ayers like Pepe and Marti elli who have better end product. It will be hard for thkse players to vet game time in his system. It is also why he likes Xhaka so much, much to my dismay.

I dont see anyone really clamouring for him to starr games but he certainly should be given opportunities to contribute and develop. This is where the manager is lacking, developing our youngsters.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Whats ibteredting sbout your opinion is thst when Martinelli first came here, SSR wasn't even being mentioned by fans.

The injury he suffered has significantly derailed his development. Secondly the opportunities for Martinelli to play are substsntially different from ESR. Martinelli is considered a forward/winger a d we ba r mang more options ahead of him. Whereas ESR is ci sidered a midfielder and as shch his ckmpetition for spaces are significantly less. This is the reason Saka was able to have his breakthrough because we were short at LB after Kolasinac's injury and he had the traits to play there. Emery knew he could play left mid having tried him there but when Kola went down he got a lot of minutes at Lb/LWB and it really put him in the spotlight.

I say all that to say that its not really ideal to compare the two players because of the positional differences as well as the philosophy of the manager. Arteta wants ball retention which is why he favours ESR and Ødegaard over ayers like Pepe and Marti elli who have better end product. It will be hard for thkse players to vet game time in his system. It is also why he likes Xhaka so much, much to my dismay.

I dont see anyone really clamouring for him to starr games but he certainly should be given opportunities to contribute and develop. This is where the manager is lacking, developing our youngsters.
Whilst Arteta is here it’s a wrap for Martilleni.

However, I don’t think the young player thing can be used against Arteta anymore. We constantly field one of the youngest teams in the league. Our star players are fresh out of academy.

Failure to utilise all the viable tools at his disposal I think is more accurate failing of Arteta. Every manager does this though, that’s football and we have some of the better attacking options in the league it’s hard to fit them all.

Pop Tart

Established Member
I remember a game last season he started and arteta subbed him at half time, the only othe half time sub I remember arteta doing was when he played a injured partey in nld.

He is being give little scraps, not really sub appearances.

He has every right to be miffed

drippin

Probably has taken the fans hype seriously. I don’t really rate him tbh, best case he becomes the Brazilian Jamie Vardy.
Yeah, I see it more like that too nowadays. He isn't very technical, no where near a young Christiano Ronaldo who is his idol. Being a Vardy though isn't a bad thing.

drippin

ESR was mentioned by the fans even before he went on loan to Leipzig in January, the year when Martinelli came later in the summer. ESR has been one of the most promising players coming through the academy. It's no wonder Nagelsmann loaned him and wanted even to sign him.

What's funny is that you say Martinelli's development has been hindered by an injury (which did happen and I agree), but fail to see that ESR has been injured even more than him according to Transfermarkt.

Martinelli has been injured for 197 days, while ESR has been injured for 260 days. So there you go.

Kav

Established Member
Whilst Arteta is here it’s a wrap for Martilleni.

However, I don’t think the young player thing can be used against Arteta anymore. We constantly field one of the youngest teams in the league. Our star players are fresh out of academy.

Failure to utilise all the viable tools at his disposal I think is more accurate failing of Arteta. Every manager does this though, that’s football and we have some of the better attacking options in the league it’s hard to fit them all.
I agree to some extent, the reason he gets stick for the lack of development of players is due to the significant number of young players with potential under contract that he has not utulized namely, Saliba,Guendouzi, Nelson, Martinelli, Nketiah, Balogun,Azeez, and Willock when he was here. AMN to a lesser extent. Mind you they all have not played for a varietg of reasons.

I am not convinced he is an advocate of youth, he dropped Gabriel last year for Mari as soon as he could despite Gabrielle being out best CB last season. He gave Willian all those minutes that ckuld have been used to develop Martinelli or Nelson. Didnt give willock or AMN a chance in midfield last season and i wont go over the Saliba or Guendkuzi situation.

I tbindk he generally prefers experienced pmayers and will only play younger ones out of necessity.

Kav

Established Member
ESR was mentioned by the fans even before he went on loan to Leipzig in January, the year when Martinelli came later in the summer. ESR has been one of the most promising players coming through the academy. It's no wonder Nagelsmann loaned him and wanted even to sign him.

What's funny is that you say Martinelli's development has been hindered by an injury (which did happen and I agree), but fail to see that ESR has been injured even more than him according to Transfermarkt.

Martinelli has been injured for 197 days, while ESR has been injured for 260 days. So there you go.
No doubt ESR had bee affected by injury but the topic is Martinelli so the focus is naturally on his development. My statement still stands that they are very different type of players in terms of technique and style even though botb can operate in similar wide spaces on the field.

And ESR got his main break after Özil was booted. Gab would have needed any 4 of Auba, Lacazette, Saka,Pepe to be out before he got a shot last season coming off the injury. Just the way the dice rolls for some players. He now has to work hard and impress the manager but to be honest i dont see Arteta using him much. He will get the same treatment as AMN and Nelson and Willock because he isnt a possession type of player that Arteta likes.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Probably has taken the fans hype seriously. I don’t really rate him tbh, best case he becomes the Brazilian Jamie Vardy.
If he end up being like vardy then we should keep him forever vardy is such hardworking and elite finisher we seriously lack that type and rare you see these type of strikes

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
I agree to some extent, the reason he gets stick for the lack of development of players is due to the significant number of young players with potential under contract that he has not utulized namely, Saliba,Guendouzi, Nelson, Martinelli, Nketiah, Balogun,Azeez, and Willock when he was here. AMN to a lesser extent. Mind you they all have not played for a varietg of reasons.

I am not convinced he is an advocate of youth, he dropped Gabriel last year for Mari as soon as he could despite Gabrielle being out best CB last season. He gave Willian all those minutes that ckuld have been used to develop Martinelli or Nelson. Didnt give willock or AMN a chance in midfield last season and i wont go over the Saliba or Guendkuzi situation.

I tbindk he generally prefers experienced pmayers and will only play younger ones out of necessity.
I'm not really sure where Arteta stands on youth to be honest. He seems to have made some odd decisions around game time for our existing younger players as you've pointed out... but then he's brought others in and played them no problem. I think it's more that he wants his own players, and wasn't willing or able to deal with the attitude of some of the existing players (in the case of Guendouzi & Saliba). I'd like to see players who are not getting game time to go on loan sooner though. Martinelli & Balogun / Nketiah / Nelson being a few examples

Reactions: Kav

Latest posts+

Top Bottom