• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gabriel Martinelli: Dogged and Determined

bergholt

If Nketiah doesn't perform well, and also doesn't sign a contract, then I hope Arteta remembers what he has said.

Unlikely he remembers what he said two years ago, the man doesn't remember what he said last week

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
Very nice, it's very logical and why Arteta probably was fine with not getting a striker now.

What I also thought, is that there is so much time to train now, that it's easier to implement.
Indeed.

I don’t agree with people who say that Martinelli doesn’t have the skills to be a top CF, actually I think there’s a decent argument that that is where he has his highest potential.

In the games we saw him there as a CF under Em*ry—yes, with the caveat it was typically against lesser Europa league competition—he was electric there, and people seem to have a bit of a short memory.

He has the close control, enough physicality, and the nice quick turns and such in short spaces to play that position effectively, as well as the off the ball movement and great smell for goals. He’ll need to work on his decision making and link up play there but that is naturally a point of improvement for a player his age learning a new position.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Indeed.

I don’t agree with people who say that Martinelli doesn’t have the skills to be a top CF, actually I think there’s a decent argument that that is where he has his highest potential.

In the games we saw him there as a CF under Em*ry—yes, with the caveat it was typically against lesser Europa league competition—he was electric there, and people seem to have a bit of a short memory.

He has the close control, enough physicality, and the nice quick turns and such in short spaces to play that position effectively, as well as the off the ball movement and great smell for goals. He’ll need to work on his decision making and link up play there but that is naturally a point of improvement for a player his age learning a new position.

Emery's teams played the ball forward a lot faster than we do now. CF in an Arteta team plays with his back to goal the majority of the time. Are you really getting the best out of Martinelli that way? Imo you want him out wide, using his pace and dribbling, making runs in behind.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Imo he'll definitely end up as a CF sooner or later. He has all the attributes to be a top centre forward, and I think he could get insane numbers from that position. If you've got ESR-Ødegaard-Saka with Xhaka and Partey as our midfield they should be able to keep the ball in high positions without Martinelli needing to drop back all that much and he can stay high and on the shoulder.

avenellroad

John Radford’s son
I guess the comparison is with someone like Jota (who is at an insane level this season). Martinelli has a similar game but with a bit more refinement can reach that level.

berric

Established Member

Player:Trossard
What exactly are Martinelli's best attributes? Right now he's not doing much on our left too.

I think pace, explosiveness, finishing, off-the-ball movement. He's also pretty tall and is buffing up every season. Shows potential to have a good header, too. No wonder the likes of Klopp big him up.

blrgooner

Established Member
Indeed.

Agree with this. I think he has highest potential is as a striker. I don`t agree with the idea of an archetypical "Arteta striker" who needs to be able play with the back to the goal. Laca hardly plays like that. A quick look into stats this season shows that in terms of progressive passes per 90, Laca`s passes have been more towards the opposition rather than sideways passes. In fact his figures are almost twice that of a a standard no 9 striker like Vlahovic.
What Laca provides is lots of pressure in the attacking 3rd and ability to hassle the opposition. I think Martinelli is good at that too but he also has a good "eye for the goal" which Laca lacks imo.
I do think that that kind of goal scoring ability needs a player to play without much pressure and playing someone like Martinelli in the wings could be a way to ensure that he gets the confidence which he needs to play well up front.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
I guess the comparison is with someone like Jota (who is at an insane level this season). Martinelli has a similar game but with a bit more refinement can reach that level.
Jota and Martinelli are not similar in my opinion. Martinelli is about pace and directness in my opinion. Running at and past the opposition.

Jota is more about movement. Jota is more like Firmino than Martinelli. Movement, linking and being in the right spaces.

It isn't impossible that Martinelli adapts to the striker role. But I'm not sure if we gain or lose by moving him to number 9.

One good thing is it would allow ESR to play on the left.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
I like Martinelli off the left because he’s a very good dribbler- I think it’s a more underrated aspect of his game. But his finishing could see him develop into a monstrous no.9.

Be interesting to see how we use him. One things for certain, he’s one of the first names on the team sheet.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

It's been one of the positive stories this season. Martinelli breaking through into the first team. It is clear he has Arteta's trust.

For now, I think it would be a mistake to play him as a CF. He has more freedom coming in from the left, though it comes with demands to track back. The pressure leading the line as a Arsenal's no.9 might be a bit much right now. Playing as a lone striker might not be his strength either.

I could see us deploying him there if we were leading and on the counterattack. At home vs teams that parks the bus it would be a mistake.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
The number 14 and number 9 are both probably gonna be available next season.

I wonder which one Gabby will want more?

Top Bottom