• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gabriel Martinelli: Dogged and Determined

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Thought he was good tonight. Vinícius is obviously clear but Martinelli was better than Raphinha.

@El Duderino surely Tite will drop Raphinha for a DM in the semis and final?

Bit open with just Paqueta and Casemiro in midfield imo.

Think Paqueta is the one dropped.

Would like to see Martinelli on the right over Anthony (since Raphina will start regardless). Specially vs. against Argentina/Netherlands, as Martinelli is more of a battering ram.

blrgooner

Established Member
I think Martinelli is already ahead of Vinicius Jr in terms of beating defenders - in fact Vinicius Jr often loses the ball when he tries to beat players, though he does open up space to cross the ball well without beating his man. Martinelli's shooting needs to improve and his final ball, but that will come.
Very little in it.
I am a big Martinelli fan but Vini Jr is at least one level above at the moment. Thats no slight on Martinelli because Vini Jr is probably the best young left winger/striker in the world at the moment after Mbappe. I think the final ball and goal scoring abilities are main differentiating factors and those two factors make a huge difference. Also in terms of composure and ability in tight areas, Vini Jr just comes across as more confident and capable of more outrageous stuff.
I do agree that Martinelli as the raw talent to reach there and that is something that is excites me, but at this moment, Vini is ahead.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
I am a big Martinelli fan but Vini Jr is at least one level above at the moment. Thats no slight on Martinelli because Vini Jr is probably the best young left winger/striker in the world at the moment after Mbappe. I think the final ball and goal scoring abilities are main differentiating factors and those two factors make a huge difference. Also in terms of composure and ability in tight areas, Vini Jr just comes across as more confident and capable of more outrageous stuff.
I do agree that Martinelli as the raw talent to reach there and that is something that is excites me, but at this moment, Vini is ahead.

The fact that Martinelli is even seriously in this discussion is phenomenal for him, guy's being legitimately compared to the world's best at 21 years old. I tend to agree with everything you've said.

And with Neymar now 30, its gonna be an interesting battle to see who ends up Brazil's LWF long term.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I would be tempted to play Martinelli as our CF when Jesus can be back but we really need a top left winger. like Mudryk or Leao

It's really interesting that we are going for a left winger when we also have ESR. Martinelli to CF looks a very good fit.

Ball striking off both feet and aerial ability. He just seems dangerous all the time and he would have freedom to drift to the left.

It could be a Van Persie like situation where he just takes to it. Van Persie had always played wide or as a second striker. He had doubts and Wenger just played him there.

Martinelli has a window of 3 months where he can either sink or swim. If he steps into the role and adapts to it, he may make it his own.

Pace, dribbling, quick feet, shooting off both feet and mentally strong. Martinelli doesn't care if he misses. He has that Walcott unflapbility. Was it United where he slipped and missed a good chance before running through and scoring the disallowed goal withhis left foot? He doesn't get in his head and has an elite mentality.

Mudryk-----Martinelli----Saka
--------------Xhaka---Ødegaard
---------------------Partey
Zinchenko-Gabriel-Saliba-White
------------------Ramsdale

Looks good.

HaffBR

Designer of fancy pyramids
Martinelli on the LW is the best fit and where he feels better. In fact he played two or three matches as CF in the EPL (all games) and his impact was negative. And even if he is good enough today to play as CF, what's the point of having Nketiah on huge salary then or Jesus as the most expensive player on the squad? Mid-term, Jesus is Arsenal's ST and not Martinelli and with a reason, so Martinelli's run as CF doesn't make any sense for his carrer, but to destroy his moment in his prefered role.

Martinelli is proved at LW, all people know he can do it as LW in the highest level, so it isn't like he doesn't have market (in fact Chelsea interest was confirmed, PSG, Barca, Milan, Juve, all rumored at some point, even Liverpool with Klopp), so what's the point of Mudryk if not to replace Martinelli in Arteta's mind? To push him? It feels like he doesn't need it with Nelson and now ESR back. It feels like the RW with Vieira (false backup) and Marquinhos is way poorer.

If Martinelli is wise, he delays his renew and see what Arteta is planning for him. He can do his job in another team quite easy. I think he needs to play to catch up Vinicius on the LW. (imo he can, but he needs his own Ancelotti)!

samspade

"You said I said" detection expert at your service
I think he needs to play to catch up Vinicius on the LW. (imo he can, but he needs his own Ancelotti)!
agree with most except this. He’s exploded under Arteta and I’m not sure there’s a managers around with a better track record of wingers improving under them than Arteta.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
It's really interesting that we are going for a left winger when we also have ESR. Martinelli to CF looks a very good fit.

Ball striking off both feet and aerial ability. He just seems dangerous all the time and he would have freedom to drift to the left.

It could be a Van Persie like situation where he just takes to it. Van Persie had always played wide or as a second striker. He had doubts and Wenger just played him there.

Martinelli has a window of 3 months where he can either sink or swim. If he steps into the role and adapts to it, he may make it his own.

Pace, dribbling, quick feet, shooting off both feet and mentally strong. Martinelli doesn't care if he misses. He has that Walcott unflapbility. Was it United where he slipped and missed a good chance before running through and scoring the disallowed goal withhis left foot? He doesn't get in his head and has an elite mentality.

Mudryk-----Martinelli----Saka
--------------Xhaka---Ødegaard
---------------------Partey
Zinchenko-Gabriel-Saliba-White
------------------Ramsdale

Looks good.

Im not convinced Martinelli can play as our CF for all our situations now. Perhaps in a game stage where we have space to work with like counter attacks, but not situations where we are dealing with low blocks, which should be 80-90% of the time.

The key factor that disqualifies Martinelli for me now, is his ability to play with his back to goal and his general strength. If you watch Jesus and look at Nketiah's profile you will see how they have physical strength to be able to shield the ball, and in Jesus' case receive aerially as well (in Jesus' case think the opening goal against Bournemouth). An important aspect of our CF play, as they are operating in zones 14, 11 and even as deep as 8.

Martinelli is excellent at stretching and dislodging opposition backlines with his dribbling and movement, both inward and outward. I would continue to have him focus on those strengths, and bring in a stronger profile as our CF in our current system. Right now, that profile is Nketiah... and in the market I think Felix (to a degree) and Tammy can play that role as well.

HaffBR

Designer of fancy pyramids
agree with most except this. He’s exploded under Arteta and I’m not sure there’s a managers around with a better track record of wingers improving under them than Arteta.

Do you really think Martinelli 'exploded'? I don't really think it, not yet, what I think is that he improved, which is common for a hard work player being better at 21 than he was at 18 (as well as being better at 26 than at 21).

I think Saka exploded (his end product looks way better now than it was in the past seasons), I think Vini exploded under Ancelotti (going to a 0.3 G/A per 90 to a 0.8+ G/A per 90 player), Martinelli all-round contribution improved, but I feel more than training, age or coaching, a player like him also needs trust and gametime to match his potential. Martinelli perception of being way better could be just him having more gametime now (partly due to ESR injuries) apart of his natural age curve progression and dedication.

Martinelli, for example, has the equivalent as 46.3 matches less than Saka and 43.5 than Vinicius in league - that is a lot: Player Comparison: Martinelli vs. Bukayo Saka vs. Vinicius Júnior | FBref.com

Imo if Martinelli continues to improve in training and have trust/responsability and gametime, maybe he can explode around next season or in 2024/25 - ofc improving his performances during these seasons. But again, he needs to play a lot to reach that (80% of minutes at least), if he goes to rotation plans or bench, then it is better to be out of Arsenal as he will not achieve his potential there - certainly not to be up with a fully starter and confident Vinicius playing in a more global team such as Real Madrid (coming from a nation club such as Flamengo).

I trust Martinelli, since I saw him, but he needs to be wise and Arsenal needs to be transparent with him - Mudryk guy seems nice and good for Arsenal, but not for him. Nelson and ESR should be more than enough to push him imo and more than enough to be good options for Arsenal on the bench as well.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Yep, there was a lot of talk about Arteta improving Sane and Sterling, but it’s hard to quantify that in reality.

But I think if you look at the improvement in Saka in Martinelli, it can be seen in their positioning and how they receive the ball. Whenever the ball gets to them, a lot of the time they take one touch and are already going 1v1 against the fullback, that’s coaching imo.

Contrast that to Uniteds wingers for example who and you can see a big difference.

samspade

"You said I said" detection expert at your service
Do you really think Martinelli 'exploded'? I don't really think it, not yet, what I think is that he improved, which is common for a hard work player being better at 21 than he was at 18 (as well as being better at 26 than at 21).

I think Saka exploded (his end product looks way better now than it was in the past seasons), I think Vini exploded under Ancelotti (going to a 0.3 G/A per 90 to a 0.8+ G/A per 90 player), Martinelli all-round contribution improved, but I feel more than training, age or coaching, a player like him also needs trust and gametime to match his potential. Martinelli perception of being way better could be just him having more gametime now (partly due to ESR injuries) apart of his natural age curve progression and dedication.

Martinelli, for example, has the equivalent as 46.3 matches less than Saka and 43.5 than Vinicius in league - that is a lot: Player Comparison: Martinelli vs. Bukayo Saka vs. Vinicius Júnior | FBref.com

Imo if Martinelli continues to improve in training and have trust/responsability and gametime, maybe he can explode around next season or in 2024/25 - ofc improving his performances during these seasons. But again, he needs to play a lot to reach that (80% of minutes at least), if he goes to rotation plans or bench, then it is better to be out of Arsenal as he will not achieve his potential there - certainly not to be up with a fully starter and confident Vinicius playing in a more global team such as Real Madrid (coming from a nation club such as Flamengo).

I trust Martinelli, since I saw him, but he needs to be wise and Arsenal needs to be transparent with him - Mudryk guy seems nice and good for Arsenal, but not for him. Nelson and ESR should be more than enough to push him imo and more than enough to be good options for Arsenal on the bench as well.
Definitely I think he’s exploded. When he came back into the team last season after the spell on the sidelines and behind the scenes he looked a totally different player. Better composure, better positioning, many more ways of going at a man, safer doing it, new passing angles. This season he’s bringing it all together into one cohesive whole in my view.

I wouldn’t bet against him continuing to explode.
It’s very difficult to tell where this player will go in my view. The rate he’s been improving and acquiring new things at, combined with his physical prowess and attitude make him a very scary prospect.

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik 🟥

Player:Havertz
I would be tempted to play Martinelli as our CF when Jesus can be back but we really need a top left winger. like Mudryk or Leao
I suggested same thing. I honestly think he can be a great striker. But we need a target man with some athleticism, even when Jesus is back and ESR these guys are all wingers. I don’t know why we need Murdyk at all. He is pricey, and we hot a ton of good wingers. Even Viera players there. That is 5 players for two positions

Latest posts+

Top Bottom