• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gabriel Martinelli: Dogged and Determined

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik 🟥

Player:Havertz
Yeah I am aware his dribbles and actions lead to chances created, but instead of waffling I will ask this.

Arsenal's current wide forward options: Saka, ESR, Trossard, Martinelli

Almost all can play behind the striker as a number 8 or 10, guess who is the odd man out?
Most likely none of them because in football with current fixture heavy schedule we will most likely never have more than 4 of them healthy at once. Esr might have to shift to an AM.

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
Yeah I am aware his dribbles and actions lead to chances created, but instead of waffling I will ask this.

Almost all can play behind the striker as a number 8 or 10, guess who is the odd man out?

Instead of allowing a promising discussion to flower between two fellow posters, I will butt my head in and ask this.

Martinelli is stylistically different to our other wide forwards. Why is that a bad thing?

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Most likely none of them because in football with current fixture heavy schedule we will most likely never have 4 of them healthy at once. Esr might have to shift to an AM.

More saying I couldn't picture Martinelli ever being the creative hub of the team, slowing down play to get his head up and pick the optimal pass. The other 3 can and have done that at various points of their careers.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Martinelli is stylistically different to our other wide forwards. Why is that a bad thing?

Never said it was, it's only a bad thing for Martinelli if Arteta decides he does not want that.

Wide players at the club long before Arteta who were not known for being creative were often called limited. Go ahead and name them.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

More saying I couldn't picture Martinelli ever being the creative hub of the team, slowing down play to get his head up and pick the optimal pass. The other 3 can and have done that.
Don’t need to, there is more ways to skin a cat. He will be judged on his numbers and his take ons. Bale at his peak wasn’t a creative hub.

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
Never said it was, it's only a bad thing for Martinelli if Arteta decides he does not want that.

Wide players at the club long before Arteta who were not known for being creative were often called limited. Go ahead and name them.
Fair. I ain’t gonna stick up for what fools on here done said in the past.

I think Martinellis relentless directness is great for us. What goes under appreciated is the fact that the opposition always have to double team and concede territory to him which helps our midfield control proceedings.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Tbh I been skeptical about Martinellis ceiling as well. This contract tells me they going full well into betting on him and developing him. That wasn’t the case when they went after Mudryk. But it seems they decided to go all the way with him. I hope he becomes half wide man half striker like Son. I think having him by the line limits him

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik 🟥

Player:Havertz
More saying I couldn't picture Martinelli ever being the creative hub of the team, slowing down play to get his head up and pick the optimal pass. The other 3 can and have done that at various points of their careers.

I think his drive and relentless running and pressing without the ball does create chances for others. But you are right he isn’t as adept at it than the other guys mentioned. By the way remember he made a big jump in quality of play this year and he is younger than Murdyk. You aren’t watching near finished article Martinelli and the same can be said for Saka and ESr. I back all the academy lads, not because of sentimentality they are destroying the league right now and cost us ( esr, saka, martinelli, and Eddie) a combined 10 million total. Right there, right there is how we are sitting 50 points at the halfway mark

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

It would be dereliction of duty to not be demanding 250-300k.
In NHL some top players agree to lower wages, because there is a salary cap. That enables them to have better team around them, and they might be franchise players who stay at the same club for a long time.

Football doesn't have salary caps, but it has FFP and wages affect it.

So I think a player like Saka who quite likely wants to stay at Arsenal, might not try to get super wages in a similar way. Very good wages yeah, but I doubt he holds for 300k per week. Maybe he does, who knows, I would pay him even that.

But really, the expectation is that he gets max. Jesus wages and I assume he is happy with that.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Fair. I ain’t gonna stick up for what fools on here done said in the past.

I think Martinellis relentless directness is great for us. What goes under appreciated is the fact that the opposition team always have to double team and concede territory to him which helps out midfield control proceedings.

My "escaped limited tag" was unnecessary anyways - my original point was even if he isn't the perfect winger doesn't mean he cannot become worldclass with a few adjustments.

Like, if he was sent out there and Arteta said sod everything else just focus on goals he could be breaking all kinds of records for all we know, then his particular quirks wouldn't even matter. I think under Arteta he will become a more rounded player anyways.

It depends on the needs of the team and he can fulfill a few as you said. Respect to you guys to allow the discussion without accusing me of slandering him and etc.

Gooner1988TK

My lord, just stop with the nickel and diming attitude. This is how you repeat the period during Wenger when our best player consistently left us. Which prevented us from challenging consistently.
Exactly! We lost Ashley Cole who is one of the best fullbacks let alone left backs ever to play. We didn’t wanna give him a extra 50k a week and he went on to get the pay he deserved then won a crap load of honours. People want Saka to do the same apparently with this penny pinching. We are the only club who’s fans are obsessed with players salaries. I used to be too but I grew up and found out the clubs have been robbing fans for years and it’s not our money anyway! I’m here to enjoy good football with exciting players and you should be too.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Almost all are capable of playing behind the striker as a number 8 or 10, guess who is the odd man out?

Does it matter? Martinelli is a different type of player to the three mentioned, he remains just as effective.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Does it matter? Martinelli is a different type of player to the three mentioned, he remains just as effective.

It doesn’t to me, I liked Auba, Pepe who were goal focused forwards who Arteta eventually replaced (don’t forget he forced Willian). None as relentless or energetic as Martinelli so he has that.

We bid 100m for Mudryk however and eventually signed Trossard who he is a big fan of. It’s up to Tets ultimately.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
You completely missed my point.

If Saka is getting 350k a week. The likes of Ramsdale who's maybe on 60k. Or Ødegaard who's maybe on 100k. Or White who's maybe on 80k. They can all ask for significant raises. Not to Sakas level but if Saka is getting 350k a week all those other players would be entitled to ask for at least half if not more.

Which means you have a squad that is all on big wages. You can't have Saka on 350k and White on 70k.

It's a stupid debate anyway as Saka won't be getting close to 350k a week. It will fall between 200-250k. But I'm trying to explain why "just give him what he wants" as in 350k a week is dangerous.

And if they’re performing, keeping the club at the top of the league, they deserve those wages. You don’t treat elite footballers like Amazon warehouse workers lmao.

The thing to take into account is all of these guys are young as well, you do what it takes to tie them down to long deals to guarantee our success in the future. It would cost more replacing these guys than increasing their salary.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I don’t think he ever has to be though, I think his style really compliments the team well, especially when Jesus is in it. I’d say Jesus and Saka are more creators than outlets, so it’s good having someone as direct as Martinelli on the other side.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

I don’t think he ever has to be though, I think his style really compliments the team well, especially when Jesus is in it. I’d say Jesus and Saka are more creators than outlets, so it’s good having someone as direct as Martinelli on the other side.

Ofcourse, but I was asked to explain in what context is Martinelli not a creative player because there's data out there showing that he clearly creates plenty of chances. That was just the best way I could describe it.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Ofcourse, but I was asked to explain in what context is Martinelli not a creative player because there's data out there showing that he clearly creates plenty of chances. That was just the best way I could describe it.

Fair play, wasn’t keep up with the discussion.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom