• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gabriel Martinelli: Dogged and Determined

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I'm not sure he is. I think he's doing parts of it but I don't think he wants anyone in the first XI having a limited role.

Complete guess work but I think he wants someone like Sterling there, same level of pace and directness but with better playmaking too. Links to Mudryk, Neto and Pino seem to confirm that as well.

There's no way we were gonna spend that money on Mudryk without the intention of eventually starting him most games.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
Reminds me of when Auba was scoring goals but the general play wasn't benefitting the team. I stood up for Auba but A-M beat me into acknowledging that just scoring isn't good enough, in hindsight I have to admit that A-M was right, but now with Martinelli it's apparently fine again.

A-M playing favourites again :lol:

His goalscoring run has heavily been based on the good play of others...but he kind of sticks out as as the one in the front three who doesn't really enable others. I don't have an issue with a guy who just finishes his chances but our attack isn't set up for that kind of player (as we saw with Auba).

Facts are he is miles better on the left than Auba was for his final 12 months. The only time Auba seriously got grief.

He is also imho a better footballer than Auba already & can still improve.

Peak Auba was absolutely electric, a phenomenal goalscorer & a joy to see

I think people judge Martinelli because of the outstanding technical talent of GJ, Ode, Saka, trossard who he plays with.
He is a different style of player & you need a little bit of variety.

He is still very young, Saka is an outlier but maybe it's fairer to judge him with Eddie or Auba at the same age if u insist on the Auba comparison?

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Facts are he is miles better on the left than Auba was for his final 12 months. The only time Auba seriously got grief.

He is also imho a better footballer than Auba already & can still improve.

Peak Auba was absolutely electric, a phenomenal goalscorer & a joy to see

I think people judge Martinelli because of the outstanding technical talent of GJ, Ode, Saka, trossard who he plays with.
He is a different style of player & you need a little bit of variety.

He is still very young, Saka is an outlier but maybe it's fairer to judge him with Eddie or Auba at the same age if u insist on the Auba comparison?
I’m not comparing him to Auba in terms of ability, I’m talking about their roles.

Also I have no issue with him being the end product guy who doesn’t contribute much in the build up but people saying you need that kind of player in the eleven is a reach, let’s be honest.

There’s nothing wrong with wanting to do better than that.

HaffBR

Designer of fancy pyramids
For a player who contributes very little, he is better than expected tho.

FrWHbKQXoAI3lfu

Expected Value Added:
Martinelli: 0.32
Expected Threat
Martinelli 0.16

I don't think he is a complete player, but for a Inside Forward who has on average of 1 non-penalty goal in 2 matches he is more decent than people think, especially taking into account that is his first full season as starter.

Just an comparison ofc.

R00NpvU.jpg

Not Ødegaard, but def not Nketiah (or Auba) either.

I was frustrated with him when he was playing with Nketiah, especially man-to-man duels. I think the arrival of Trossard has been a tremendous help for Martinelli, and I like when they are switching around during games.

I have read that some people believe that he can become a new Theo for us. I think he will turn out much better. A relatively consistent goalscorer already. There are some elements in Martinellis game where I see some post 2014-Cristiano movements. Good at being at the right places. Strong pace. Good finishing - which can be improved upon. Reliable end-product. Does not lose chances and runs very directly through the middle or by cutting in from the left.
Needs to improve dribling and learn to really beat his opponents during games.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
I’m not comparing him to Auba in terms of ability, I’m talking about their roles.

Also I have no issue with him being the end product guy who doesn’t contribute much in the build up but people saying you need that kind of player in the eleven is a reach, let’s be honest.

There’s nothing wrong with wanting to do better than that.
But the eye test & stats says he contributes enough which Auba unfortunately didn't in the last 12 months or so.

Arteta got absolute pelters on here for asking Auba to play on the left, track back & help with the defensive 'dirty' work.

Martinelli came in and did it to a high standard. I think people often underestimate how valuable workrate is to a team & just wanna see silky skilled ball players.

Why do you think players like Milner have been part of title winning teams & played at the top level for so long under managers like Pep & klopp?

imho you do need different types of players. Otherwise you end up preditictable like perhaps some of Arsenes later teams.

Sure there may be more technically skilled left sided attackers out there. Finding those with the pace & work ethic of Gabby M though is perhaps not so easy?

I think you simply don't rate him. Perhaps he is just not the type of player you choose to appreciate which is fine.

Last edited:

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Martinelli came in and did it to a high standard. I think people often underestimate how valuable workrate is to a team & just wanna see silky skilled ball players.
Sure there may be more technically skilled left sided attackers out there. Finding those with the pace & work ethic of Gabby M though is perhaps not so easy?
It’s like you’re trying to give him a pass for not being ‘technically skilled’ by saying he works hard.

Firstly I’m not even talking about his technical ability, secondly you don’t get a pass for that anyway. Who told you silly skilled ball players don’t work hard? Watch a Man City game sometime.
I think you simply don't rate him. Perhaps he is just not the type of player you choose to appreciate which is fine.
I literally said in the post you REPLIED to that I have no issue with him being a kind of limited end product guy.

But I know there are players out there who can do what he does and then some, doesn’t mean I don’t rate him. I don’t need to resort to copium like you’re doing to accept the kind of player he is.

So maybe you don’t rate him deep down and feel the need to justify his lack of ‘technical skill’…Plot twist?! 😱

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
It’s like you’re trying to give him a pass for not being ‘technically skilled’ by saying he works hard.

Firstly I’m not even talking about his technical ability, secondly you don’t get a pass for that anyway. Who told you silly skilled ball players don’t work hard? Watch a Man City game sometime.

I literally said in the post you REPLIED to that I have no issue with him being a kind of limited end product guy.

But I know there are players out there who can do what he does and then some, doesn’t mean I don’t rate him. I don’t need to resort to copium like you’re doing to accept the kind of player he is.

So maybe you don’t rate him deep down and feel the need to justify his lack of ‘technical skill’…Plot twist?! 😱
Jeez man it's not that deep. I like what he brings to the team that's all🫣.

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik 🟥

Player:Havertz
You guys do remember how the only goal we scored today came about? And remember how many times he bailed out our defence with a tackle to stop dangerous counters?

He did fine ffs. Jesus and Trossard literally did no better. In fact I’d say they were both worse. Saka didn’t do much after coming on. But hey, agenda mania etc etc. Lets all indulge @Rex Bezos wild fantasies and shovel on Martinelli.
What Martinelli does pressing high up the pitch is very valuable to the team. If you look at his goal return there isn’t much to complain about, nor is there from his work rate. His distribution needs to get better, but he is a kid who has had a stop and start go of it with injuries. People who knock him really don’t understand football. Tbf, his distribution at this point us not good but what he is 21? And brings work rate, goals, and pressing. 3 out 4 for a youngster who has had a couple injuries delay his development is beyond expectations. Ok Saka is better but not by that much.

Farzad Stoned

He is a technical player doesn’t need a pass his dribbling stats prove it. He is no Anthony he can and does take on and beat players. He is not ss good as Saka at technique ability, but he presses better than Saka and i think has one more or equal on goals. So i just don’t understand the end product quip for a guy who already is into double digits in league goals.

Farzad Stoned

It is just strange that if 4 forwards play for Arsenal over the course of a 120 minutes and none score only Martinelli gets criticized it is actually bizarre. Right now I remember why i was pissed at Bezos.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
It is just strange that if 4 forwards play for Arsenal over the course of a 120 minutes and none score only Martinelli gets criticized it is actually bizarre. Right now I remember why i was pissed at Bezos.
Because it's his only job on the pitch as he doesn't offer anything else. It was the same with Auba and Walcott so nothing against Martinelli, it's just how things are

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
Because it's his only job on the pitch as he doesn't offer anything else. It was the same with Auba and Walcott so nothing against Martinelli, it's just how things are

These auba comparisons are so lazy. Yes Nelli should be judged on end product more than Saka. But did Auba EVER put in the all round work that Martinelli does every single game? Did he ****.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

These auba comparisons are so lazy. Yes Nelli should be judged on end product more than Saka. But did Auba EVER put in the all round work that Martinelli does every single game? Did he ****.

Auba vs Valencia in 2019 was an absolutely superb all round performance tbf. I've mentioned it a few times but he legit looked like a complete wide forward/inside forward in that game. Also thought his performances from LW in Mik's first few months and the FA Cup run were pretty good.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Auba vs Valencia in 2019 was an absolutely superb all round performance tbf. I've mentioned it a few times but he legit looked like a complete wide forward/inside forward in that game. Also thought his performances from LW in Mik's first few months and the FA Cup run were pretty good.
Also, Auba wasn't lazy and was tracking back as Martinelli does, it was at a time when he was playing more as a wing back because the team struggled a lot. There were a few games where he was a full package, but just like Martinelli, most of the time he was a production machine with not much else to offer, which is all good as long as that keeps happening and players around can deal with that

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
You're gonna struggle to convince me in that "all round work" of Martinelli, so I'll just close this debate as there is nothing to agree with. Nothing personal :)

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
To me the workrate of Martinelli both offensively and defensively is one of his stand out features.

It's a theme of this side that you have to work hard defensively and press from the front. Attackers are the first line of defense in our side. Martinelli, Jesus and Ødegaard are devils at it. If these guys were dogs they'd be chasing sticks and balls all day. They love that stuff. It's one of the reasons why Jesus will start ahead of Trossard at CF, he's more natural at that aspect of the game, not to say that Trossard is poor at it, he's just not at that level.

I don't think you can underestimate that pressing / defend from the front ethos in the modern game. One of the reasons I think that Liverpool have struggled this season is because they miss Mane, and not just his goals. His pressing and defensive workrate was sublime and he was really the catalyst for the Liverpool defensive press. When he went, everyone else went.

I'm not saying Martinelli couldn't be upgraded on but it would cost a lot of money to find a LW with a higher technical ceiling than Martinelli AND with the workrate and end product that Martinelli produces.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
To me the workrate of Martinelli both offensively and defensively is one of his stand out features.

It's a theme of this side that you have to work hard defensively and press from the front. Attackers are the first line of defense in our side. Martinelli, Jesus and Ødegaard are devils at it. If these guys were dogs they'd be chasing sticks and balls all day. They love that stuff. It's one of the reasons why Jesus will start ahead of Trossard at CF, he's more natural at that aspect of the game, not to say that Trossard is poor at it, he's just not at that level.

I don't think you can underestimate that pressing / defend from the front ethos in the modern game. One of the reasons I think that Liverpool have struggled this season is because they miss Mane, and not just his goals. His pressing and defensive workrate was sublime and he was really the catalyst for the Liverpool defensive press. When he went, everyone else went.

I'm not saying Martinelli couldn't be upgraded on but it would cost a lot of money to find a LW with a higher technical ceiling than Martinelli AND with the workrate and end product that Martinelli produces.
We got the taste of it against Sporting where Ode, Partey, and later on Jesus weren't in. We need the whole unit there, can handle 1 missing but not more than that.

You are right, it would be a struggle to find someone like Martinelli. Not saying he is world class or that I like watching him play, but he is very valuable to our game and the way we play trying to win the ball as fast as possible

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Auba is exactly the sort of player we should hope Martinelli develops into, if Gabby can become as good as peak Pierre pre 2021 then that would be perfect for us.

They are slightly different, but also have a lot of similar traits especially with how we use them on the pitch.

Nelli has great workrate, but before him and Arteta fell out, I always thought Aubameyang had underrated workrate to be honest.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom