• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gabriel Martinelli: Top Tear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
Still don't know what he can give us or how good he is, but I'm eager to try him consistently for a season before I decide.

Pyres7

The similarities with Sanchez are undeniable
They are similar in a lot of ways but Sanchez had surpising good vision and passing range, haven't seen that from Martinelli. Haven't seen him hit a rocket from 25+ yards either yet.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

They are similar in a lot of ways but Sanchez had surpising good vision and passing range, haven't seen that from Martinelli. Haven't seen him hit a rocket from 25+ yards either yet.
he reminds me more of a young torres....sanchez is completely different player

Get These Hands

Off of my purse !
That’s the Abou Diaby effect. Average player capable of useless flashy moves with one good game against Liverpool in his entire career becomes a world class talent because he was injured. Martinelli has already done more in an Arsenal shirt than Diaby did in his entire career so he’s not really in the same category.

Not saying he's a bad player. Just that people seem to have rose tinted glasses on and forget that Martinelli was out of form and out of favour prior to his injury. I doubt he can come in and save our season.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
I don't care who he is like, I just want him to play like he was playing last season.

I'd have sold our three strikers, splashed out on Haaland and built our team around these two.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
I can't understand whats this thing about him playing wide, he was 10 times more effective as a CF, he just looks bang average on the left. I understand that he will do a lot of hard work by tracking back on the left, but at this point, we need someone who will convert those crosses and who can press the back line

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

That’s the Abou Diaby effect. Average player capable of useless flashy moves with one good game against Liverpool in his entire career becomes a world class talent because he was injured. Martinelli has already done more in an Arsenal shirt than Diaby did in his entire career so he’s not really in the same category.
lool Diaby was about to start CL final at the age of 19. One of the biggest talents we had in the PL and a whole different level of talent than what we had in years. Diaby was more talented than Vieira. injuries ruined him. Our fan base has changed hugely...if Diaby showed what he showed at 19 today our current fans would be w@nking all over him

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

https://theathletic.co.uk/2247842/2020/12/09/martinelli-returns-arsenal-injury/

As Arsenal Under-21s crashed out of the Papa John’s Trophy in a 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon, Tim Akinola and William Saliba’s late dismissals took centre stage, but the evening signified the return of a certain young Brazilian.

Sustaining a training injury to his left knee in June, after an explosive start to life in north London, Gabriel Martinelli was bound to the sidelines and underwent surgery in June. Having become the first teenager to score over 10 goals in a single season for Arsenal since Nicolas Anelka, his presence has been missed in Mikel Arteta’s first team.

Last in action against Portsmouth in March, the long wait for the 19-year-old’s return is nearing its end as he played 45 minutes at Plough Lane.

So far this season, Steve Bould has deployed a 4-4-2 diamond for the Under-23s/21s and that was the case again on Tuesday night. In the absence of Folarin Balogun — who has become more involved in the Europa League of late — Martinelli started as the striker alongside Nikolaj Moller. Interestingly enough, he wasn’t contained to just that area of the pitch as he had an impact across various zones in the first half.

There was a glimpse of the usual Martinelli early on as a couple of his snapshots that were blocked and, as the game settled, he began to connect particularly well with Miguel Azeez, who was on the left of the midfield diamond. Where the Brazilian would pull wide, Azeez would take the central space and vice versa, which led to smooth combinations down the left which included left-back Joel Lopez.

The first real instance of this came within minutes. In the third minute, as he did throughout the match, Saliba stepped into midfield from centre-back, Azeez peeled wide and Martinelli acted as the first receiver, unmarked as Paul Kalambayi at centre-back decided against following him in. This particular pattern began paying off later in the half, with the prime example being when Azeez drifted wide, travelled with the ball and hooked a cross into the six-yard box where Martinelli’s near-post header was saved well by Nik Tzanev.

On the pitch for just 45 minutes, it wasn’t just the 19-year-old’s connection with Azeez which impressed.

Last season, one of the most surprising aspects to Martinelli’s game was his strength, alongside his willingness to press from the front. This was evident in his early cup appearances, but it was particularly encouraging to see in some of his Premier League outings — against Norwich and Everton in particular — under Freddie Ljungberg last year.

This continued under Arteta and, especially during Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang’s three-match ban in January, he served as a welcome addition to the first-team squad for what he offered both in and out of possession.

In more controlled situations, himself and Moller would split while Ben Cottrell would advance to join the first pressing line. It was in more broken play when the drive he displayed so often last season was on show most, however.

In one instance, Ethan Chislett intercepted the ball around 25 yards out from his own goal. Immediately, Martinelli was snapping at his heels, managed to get himself between Chislett and the ball, steal it and then move it onto a team-mate in the final third. Minutes later, he fought to win possession on the edge of the Wimbledon box again before attempting a cute clipped ball into Catalin Cirjan’s path which was slightly overcooked.

Not constrained to one area of the pitch, he began to roam much more towards the end of the half, at times picking up the ball in areas usually patrolled by right-sided central midfielders.

Considering how tired he appeared to look at the half-time whistle, when conditioning coach Sam Wilson was seen to speak to him after his efforts, it may have been to receive the ball under less pressure. Nevertheless, from there, in the 41st minute, he hit a switch to Lopez who drove infield and almost slid a ball through for Cirjan, who once again burst late into the box. The move, of course, did not end up with a goal, and neither did Martinelli’s chipped ball over the top for Moller a couple of minutes later.

Nevertheless, for his first runout in nine months, Martinelli displayed the aspects of his game that made him stand out in his debut season. Understandably, there was a rustiness when it came to the finer details such as his final ball or finishing. That’ll come with time and considering how Arteta has managed Emile Smith Rowe, Calum Chambers or even Pablo Mari in their returns from injury, it’s unlikely he will be thrown straight back into first-team action and is certainly not a panacea for Arteta’s problems — they run too deep. However, for the teenager at least, the run-out was promising, especially after the initial prognosis was to simply have him back in full training before the end of the year.

Bould’s Under-23s next play on December 18 when they host Leicester City Under-23s at Meadow Park, which could likely be Martinelli’s next chance to continue to find his groove before entering the senior fray again.

For those of you gagging for Martinelli updates/review on his match - might be worth a read.
His next match should be 18th December for the U23s.

Atlas

Lost a sausage bet on Xhaka 😭
lool Diaby was about to start CL final at the age of 19. One of the biggest talents we had in the PL and a whole different level of talent than what we had in years. Diaby was more talented than Vieira. injuries ruined him. Our fan base has changed hugely...if Diaby showed what he showed at 19 today our current fans would be w@nking all over him

Diaby more talented than Vieira **** me. One good game in his entire career against Liverpool is the sum of his career. Injuries saved him from behind found out. No wonder our youth are overrated to **** most of you lot wouldn’t know the difference in talent between Anelka and Jay Emmanuel Thomas.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Diaby more talented than Vieira **** me. One good game in his entire career against Liverpool is the sum of his career. Injuries saved him from behind found out. No wonder our youth are overrated to **** most of you lot wouldn’t know the difference in talent between Anelka and Jay Emmanuel Thomas.
Diane was world class talent. A chav ruined his career

Atlas

Diane was world class talent. A chav ruined his career

A chav did ruin his career but he wasn’t world class or the level below world class or the level below that.

You only think he’s a world class talent because of the Abou Diaby effect.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

A chav did ruin his career but he wasn’t world class or the level below world class or the level below that.

You only think he’s a world class talent because of the Abou Diaby effect.
He was world class youngster. At 19 he was consistently getting games for the most talented Arsenal squad ever. At 20 today we are told Emile Smith Rowe is the new kdb and he helped Huddersfield in the championship or Nelson got few goals for mid table french team. I really don’t think you understand how impressive what he showed at 19 was. As I said he was nailed on to start the cl for us and be a mainstayer in the first team. He never became 100% after that injury and played rest of his career compromised. He kept playing on talent alone without ever being able to move as he could.

Atlas

He was world class youngster. At 19 he was consistently getting games for the most talented Arsenal squad ever. At 20 today we are told Emile Smith Rowe is the new kdb and he helped Huddersfield in the championship or Nelson got few goals for mid table french team. I really don’t think you understand how impressive what he showed at 19 was. As I said he was nailed on to start the cl for us and be a mainstayer in the first team. He never became 100% after that injury and played rest of his career compromised. He kept playing on talent alone without ever being able to move as he could.

I was lucky enough to watch Anelka in his first season that was a real talented teenager Diaby wouldn’t be fit to lace his boots. Fabregas, Wilshere and Anelka were the real talents. Diaby would be below Iwobi for me. Brainless player who was capable of flashy moves but would never play consistently well in 2 games. Players like him usually ended up at Bolton or QPR.

The interesting part is how he was always the solution to our problems while he was injured until he came back and played 10 games where he was average in 9 of them. Then out injured again to become the solution to our problems.

Get These Hands

Off of my purse !
I don't care who he is like, I just want him to play like he was playing last season.

I'd have sold our three strikers, splashed out on Haaland and built our team around these two.

You're putting him on the same level as Haaland based iron a few goals in the preliminary rounds of the League Cup and Europa League?

Christ almighty our fans are deluded.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

You're putting him on the same level as Haaland based iron a few goals in the preliminary rounds of the League Cup and Europa League?

Why do you think our fan base is a laughing stock? It’s because no team overrate their players like us

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩

He said he'd buy Haaland and pair him with Martinelli, he didn't say that :lol:

I swear 80% of people on this planet are ****ing idiots.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Diaby was a top talent, but no one is better than Vieira, no one.

Fabregas and Anelka are the top tier for young talent at Arsenal, Abou was in the level below for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom