• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gabriel Martinelli: Top Tear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Can’t help but feel he can make the no.9 spot his own. When you consider what Arteta likes in a striker, he has that and a lot more quality on the ball than Nketiah or Laca.

Come back soon Prince.

EmeryCouldnt

Established Member
Can’t help but feel he can make the no.9 spot his own. When you consider what Arteta likes in a striker, he has that and a lot more quality on the ball than Nketiah or Laca.

Come back soon Prince.

I’m gonna go out and say, he’s never shown us more than Laca. The difference is, sky is the limit with this kid. But to think he can contribute like that now or especially like he has already....

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
I’m gonna go out and say, he’s never shown us more than Laca. The difference is, sky is the limit with this kid. But to think he can contribute like that now or especially like he has already....

Laca maybe has the edge in terms of holding up the ball. Even then it’s hit and miss. Martinelli has a better touch, more pace, better movement and just as high a work rate. He’ll continue to improve too.

A front three with Martinelli and Auba would be severely threatening to any back line IMO.

EmeryCouldnt

Established Member
Laca maybe has the edge in terms of holding up the ball. Even then it’s hit and miss. Martinelli has a better touch, more pace, better movement and just as high a work rate. He’ll continue to improve too.

A front three with Martinelli and Auba would be severely threatening to any back line IMO.

I agree that Martinelli should be awesome for us in the future, but I think it’ll take time before he’s consistent. I don’t think he’ll come in this year and contribute more than Laca can. I hope I’m wrong.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Martinelli on the left, Auba centrally and Pepe on the right. Richarlison, DCL and James are a poor (very rich Russian) mans Arsenal.

I do see Martinelli being a wide forward long term.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

It’s strange, because I never used to use Heskey as an example of a crap striker... It’s definitely been planted in my brain from somewhere.
Well I remember in school days some parody article got shared around school and labelled guys who are in the friend zone but don’t see it as playing the Heskey role. You know you’re typical “she chats to you about the guys she likes, she calls you cute etc”.

Ever since then Heskey‘s reputation has been in the bin. :lol:

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

What Martinelli lacks is the link up play that Laca used to show during the 18/19 season. I don’t know if he can add to his game but if he can then we’ve saved ourselves about 60M.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

It’s strange, because I never used to use Heskey as an example of a crap striker... It’s definitely been planted in my brain from somewhere.
Media didn’t help, he was ridiculed for years.

I never watched Liverpool and Leicester matches as my football consumption is nothing like it is now - but even I somehow assumed he was a “bad” striker.

Increased available statistics for the public and increased/improved methods of consumption in today’s football kinda stops this sort of thing from happening as much now.

Manberg

Predator
I think the Heskey stuff came later in his career for England. That Swedish England manager kept playing him and he was largely ineffectual. He was a good forward in his prime though.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Media didn’t help, he was ridiculed for years.

I never watched Liverpool and Leicester matches as my football consumption is nothing like it is now - but even I somehow assumed he was a “bad” striker.

Increased available statistics for the public and increased/improved methods of consumption in today’s football kinda stops this sort of thing from happening as much now.
Thinking about it, the reason why his name never jumped to mind was because I had a bit of an irrational fear of him! When you look at his stats, it was definitely irrational as well... His best season ever was 14 in 36 starts for Liverpool. Overall, he averaged a goal in more or less every 6 games... :lol:

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Well I remember in school days some parody article got shared around school and labelled guys who are in the friend zone but don’t see it as playing the Heskey role. You know you’re typical “she chats to you about the guys she likes, she calls you cute etc”.

Ever since then Heskey‘s reputation has been in the bin. :lol:
That's quite deep! I think he played more of an ugly-but-funny wingman role for his clubs.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Yeah, he was never prolific, which at his peak is what being a striker was all about.

Now there is an expectancy for being a team player, fast and strong and it’s not so much of a crime to not be a top scorer now - as long as you help facilitate others. Which is what he did.

The likes of Auba are seen as limited nowadays.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
If you understand football, you rate Emile Heskey.

This sounds like I am mocking him but I am not, quality player...like a better version of Welbeck and I rate Danny too.

Not long after his move to Birmingham in 2004 he seemed to put on a little too much weight, was all action at Leicester and Liverpool though...his peak at Liverpool 2000-2002, he got double figure in both these seasons helping Liverpool to trophies and back into the Champions League.

Remember him being very good at the 2002 World Cup too.

Last edited:

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Heskey became a meme because the goals dried up for him in the latter stages of his career but because he was a starter for England under Capello and played for CL chasing Villa he was very much in the spotlight. When England under performed many pointed to him and his lack of goals saying he shouldn't be in the team, tho they were failing to grasp his role was a foil to Rooney, Gerrard and the likes. Also the image of him doing stepovers Vs Algeria on the wing didn't help combined with the poor result.

Then came KSI and his FIFA videos sarcastically calling him a beast, doing parody videos and even had a song call Heskey time which featured of compilation of him missing chances in the game. I think that has played a great influence on the view people now have of Heskey who were perhaps too young to witness his Leicester or Liverpool days when he was more than just a pure target man that he'd become in the twilight of his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom