• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gabriel Martinelli: Top Tear

Status
Not open for further replies.

LG10

He’s suffering from growing pains and hasn’t trained much recently. You ****s will blame arteta for anything when he gets almost everything right

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
What's to say Martinelli does nothing for the next 43 minutes, but gets the same chance that Willian had and scores.

Arteta is so quick to withdraw certain players. Pepe and Martinelli get hooked so quickly.

What's to say he would have been in that position? Whats the say he wouldn't have lost the ball leading to a united counter and they score? These are all hypoyheticals and it's pointless discussing them.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
What's to say he would have been in that position? Whats the say he wouldn't have lost the ball leading to a united counter and they score? These are all hypoyheticals and it's pointless discussing them.

I don't think it is a hypothetical to suggest that he would be at the back post if we are crossing from the right.

I'd also say that Willian wouldn't have made the defensive intervention Martinelli did, judging from his defensive work rate.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I don't think it is a hypothetical to suggest that he would be at the back post if we are crossing from the right.

I'd also say that Willian wouldn't have made the defensive intervention Martinelli did, judging from his defensive work rate.

Martinelli didn't get a kick all half, he wasn't in the game offensively. The team improved a lot when Willian came on, I don't know how the substitution can be used as a stick to beat Arteta with? It was the right call at the time.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Martinelli didn't get a kick all half, he wasn't in the game offensively. The team improved a lot when Willian came on, I don't know how the substitution can be used as a stick to beat Arteta with? It was the right call at the time.
Yeh Willian is good at retaining the ball further up the pitch statistically, and that’s what we were missing.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
It’s not that he doesn’t rate him. I just feel he doesn’t think he’s ready yet and doesn’t feel he can rely on him.
I hear you but Arteta feels he can rely on Laca who always has a scoring drought, Nketiah who is worse, Pepe who has been inconsistent and Auba whom he's ruined. Then there's Willian. Just like Saliba wasn't ready but Mustsfi and Luiz were. I find Arteta's judgment of players my biggest concern.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Arsenal, Willian and good are 3 words that do not belong together in the same sentence unless they are combined with the words contract and terminated.
It’s about the only game he has had any effect for us, but we were really struggling to stay in their half after their shape change when McTominay went off.

Legend14

Established Member
Any decision to play Willian over Martinelli is sheer lunacy. When we need impact, the last one we should call on is Willian, right behind Nketia. If Martinelli can walk, you call his name ahead of Willian.

One player brings energy and the other kills it.

Last edited:

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

It doesn't matter if he doesn't get a kick. You give him at least 15 mins in the second half. You don't just take him off, that isn't how you manage a young player.

I remember so many games when Wenger had a young player and they did nothing first half. He sent them out there for the second half and let them change their fortunes. He gave them the opportunity to problem solve, to improve their performance. Pulling him aside and saying, look this is what you need to do. Rather than just leaving him and bringing on someone who has underperformed almost every game he has played in.

That is not how you develop a young player.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Any decision to play Willian over Martinelli is sheer lunacy. When we need impact, the last one we should call on is Willian, right behind Nketia. If Martinelli can walk, you call his name ahead of Willian.

One players brings energy and the other kills it.

Also Martinelli is the future and Willian is not. I know Arteta has backing but football is football, he might not be here this time next year, he might as well leave a legacy of developing young players. What's the point in playing Willian now, especially in the league where we have nothing to play for.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
It doesn't matter if he doesn't get a kick. You give him at least 15 mins in the second half. You don't just take him off, that isn't how you manage a young player.

I remember so many games when Wenger had a young player and they did nothing first half. He sent them out there for the second half and let them change their fortunes. He gave them the opportunity to problem solve, to improve their performance. Pulling him aside and saying, look this is what you need to do. Rather than just leaving him and bringing on someone who has underperformed almost every game he has played in.

That is not how you develop a young player.

"It doesn't matter he didn't get a kick" is a bit of an odd statement to make about one of our attacking players in a match against Man Utd. This isn't a charity, you don't use games against Man Utd in the PL as developmental opportunities, the players that are selected are selected to perform. It really isn't a massive issue he subbed Martinelli at half time, I don't know why you lot are making such a big issue about it.

If anything Martinelli will use the game as a positive experience, analysing his game and picking out areas to improve. This really feels like just people finding another stick go beat the manager with as it suits there agenda.

Imagine if Nketiah put that performance in, people on here would he been slating him and the manager to no end if he didn't take him off.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
Big prospect but I don't want to see him on the left wing when we're trying to become more of a (purposeful) possession based team again.

I want to see him developed as a striker. Do we need to go big in the summer for a proper, technical and physical guy or can Gabriel be the one? His close control is still lacking, for me.

Legend14

Established Member
Big prospect but I don't want to see him on the left wing when we're trying to become more of a (purposeful) possession based team again.

I want to see him developed as a striker. Do we need to go big in the summer for a proper, technical and physical guy or can Gabriel be the one? His close control is still lacking, for me.
Martinelli doesn’t play as much he should in my opinion. Sure, injuries have had something to do with that, but I don’t think the manager knows what to do with him when he is not injured.

Why not try him at striker: he is a major threat on a through ball, he is constantly moving so he is difficult to mark out of the match , and he is not afraid to go up for a header.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
I am becoming frustrated at how little he is playing, so wouldn't be surprised if he starts getting frustrated soon. I know there have been injuries but there have also been long spells on the bench, often at the same time as the hapless Willian is doing sweet fa on the pitch.

This boy has the potential to be a major talent. If he isn't played he won't develop and he won't stay.

Stinga

It’s not implausible to think that there are many areas he has to improve.

I remember a point in the game against United where he rushed back to make some sort of tackle or clearance and we all lauded him for it. Well it could be that he fooled us. The manager would be looking at his positioning and thinking that if he was defending as he should from the start then he didn’t have to be in the situation to do what he did. Reminds me of a comment made by Steve Bould about Alexis Sanchez actually. Bould suggested that Sanchez fooled fans into thinking that he worked really hard. That defensive contribution by Martinelli was an example of such a thing.

Poor positioning is something that was bought up against him before. Every player’s biggest responsibility is defending, including the striker. Therefore I completely understand Arteta’s desire for him to learn and improve rather than risk results over his mistakes.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Arteta was asked directly about Martinelli’s playing time:
Asked why the youngster isn’t starting more games, Arteta explained, “Well, he came back and did really well, but then he picked up another injury.

“It took him a while to come and now it’s about getting in his rhythm and getting his place in the team like anybody else. Don’t forget that we played him last time against Manchester United and he started ahead of other players, so it’s not like he’s not having the opportunities.

“We know that he’s got a huge potential and he’s done some really good things since he’s come back. He has a lot of things to develop in his game because of course at his age it’s normal.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
It’s not implausible to think that there are many areas he has to improve.

I remember a point in the game against United where he rushed back to make some sort of tackle or clearance and we all lauded him for it. Well it could be that he fooled us. The manager would be looking at his positioning and thinking that if he was defending as he should from the start then he didn’t have to be in the situation to do what he did. Reminds me of a comment made by Steve Bould about Alexis Sanchez actually. Bould suggested that Sanchez fooled fans into thinking that he worked really hard. That defensive contribution by Martinelli was an example of such a thing.

Poor positioning is something that was bought up against him before. Every player’s biggest responsibility is defending, including the striker. Therefore I completely understand Arteta’s desire for him to learn and improve rather than risk results over his mistakes.

That wasn't even his job. If that was Wan Bisakka who was free in the penalty area we could all say wtf was Martinelli doing. That was Rashford, and Rashford got there alone, time and time again, because Cedric can't defend.

It's a positive Martinelli did that.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom