• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gabriel Martinelli: Top Tear

Status
Not open for further replies.

TinFish

He should really be given a chance up top against Sheffield. If he starts Laca or Auba who are both woeful this season I'll be livid.

Kav

Established Member
My observation about Gab is that he’s a instinctive forward. He does things that come naturally to him. Traditional wing play is not one of them. Moving between the lines and finding open spaces, dribbling with the ball into open space he’s excellent. He has the work ethic and energy to compliment a pressing team.

That being said Arteta wants players who can play neat little triangles and one pass ball and maintain possession. Things that are not Gabby’s game. This is why Willian gets game time over Martinelli and Pepe and Nelson.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
He should really be given a chance up top against Sheffield. If he starts Laca or Auba who are both woeful this season I'll be livid.
He will get a chance again on the wing where he sucks, no doubt about it. Playing full 90min as a CF won't happen

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
The thing is. Even if he does start, his personality dictates that he will try too hard which will make him try and force everything.

Also as much as I see him as a potential Cf, if he starts there and doesn't do anything, it's absolutely fine. How long did it take Henry to adjust in a good team?

We can't be expecting too much from Martinelli. When he plays he already seems like he is burdening himself.

Iceman10

Established Member
The thing is. Even if he does start, his personality dictates that he will try too hard which will make him try and force everything.

Also as much as I see him as a potential Cf, if he starts there and doesn't do anything, it's absolutely fine. How long did it take Henry to adjust in a good team?

We can't be expecting too much from Martinelli. When he plays he already seems like he is burdening himself.

This is hard to sympathise with from a consistency point of view when I point at other players such as Eddie and Reiss having to grab opportunities when they are given. As with AMN though it is not acceptable for a manager to throw them on for one appearance out of the blue and then seemingly punish them with another long absence if they are understandably rusty in that appearance. Have to give them a run of games, or at least smart rotate (which Arteta hasn’t done) to make sure they don’t go rusty.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
This is hard to sympathise with from a consistency point of view when I point at other players such as Eddie and Reiss having to grab opportunities when they are given. As with AMN though it is not acceptable for a manager to throw them on for one appearance out of the blue and then seemingly punish them with another long absence if they are understandably rusty in that appearance. Have to give them a run of games, or at least smart rotate (which Arteta hasn’t done) to make sure they don’t go rusty.
I get people’s frustration of not seeing Martinelli, Saliba played.

But AMN, Nketiah, Willock? Seriously? If I am in charge I will not have anyone of them near my first team. We have other young players who are a lot more talented, why them?

Iceman10

Established Member
I get people’s frustration of not seeing Martinelli, Saliba played.

But AMN, Nketiah, Willock? Seriously? If I am in charge I will not have anyone of them near my first team. We have other young players who are a lot more talented, why them?

I support Eddie being sold as part of the overall plan for Balogun, but in other cases technical quality does not govern everything when younger players who have identity with Arsenal bring more ambition and energy than Elneny and Ceballos. We had an exchange about this a few days back anyway, in many of these cases I’m not talking Starting XI, instead squad depth / rotation with cup competitions first, and then more than that if the players prove themselves.

akhil

There's a simple solution to it though. Trim the squad down. We still have nearly 30 first team players. Edu can easily force Arteta's hand here.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
There's a simple solution to it though. Trim the squad down. We still have nearly 30 first team players. Edu can easily force Arteta's hand here.

Squad size doesn't matter when the manager punishes players differently. One bad half vs Man United and he gets hooked at half time and then barely plays for 10 games.

Consistent poor performances by Willian lead him to being out of the starting 11 for 3 or 4 games, but he always gets thrown in for a start after that.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Arteta was asked about the lack of game time and it was all waffle apart from the part where he said Martinelli had to improve on some aspects. The thing is that he won't do that on the bench. Some games where the tactics have been right have been killed by Laca's lack of pace. You could stick Martinelli or even Balogun there and we'd be no worse. Arteta gets less convincing every time he speaks.

HaffBR

Designer of fancy pyramids
3 shots (2 were on target), 1 key pass (should be 2 with the Chambers shot even if his pass suffered a bit of deflection, still his action). 5 direct shot contribution in 45 minutes (in a very slow boring Arteta football), that is elite if you ask me.

.. and I agree that his best position is as CF or SS, still he isn't as useless as people think here, he maybe below average in terms of ball retention as LW, but others are very good on ball retention and still can't become worse offensively.

Good first half imo.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
So happy for him breaking his duck.
Hopefully this gives him a huge boost.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Main men today...

nbc_pl_arsmartinelligoal_200121.jpg

HaffBR

Designer of fancy pyramids
Rewatched the cameo and he was not good tbh, can see why Arteta doesn't bother

Another one of the same guy:
Poor game from Gabi, tap in aside. Not really showing more than Nketiah and Nelson did with their chances

Dude, Martinelli is historically a 40-45% shot/goal contributor player (assist one shot/goal or shot/score a goal 40-45% of all his team shots/goals) while on the pitch usually while being very good defensively also, as a CF it can be over 50% with a top pressing. These attackers you mention are probably 30% or less shot/goal contributors, meaning they have usually less impact on the pitch offensively than Martinelli in his team shots/goals. Top attacker are 40% or over usually.

Today, 4 shots and 2 (and not 1) key passes for Martinelli in 83 minutes still off his form and with low moral thanks to Arteta. That's more than average season of any LW/RW/AM/CF at Arsenal.

Martinelli isn't good at ball retention, true (that is one of the reason his future is in the CF position, also he looks way dangerous at the center with free movement, thats another reason) , but he is still a top threat attacker in the last third of the pitch, these guys you mention I can't see it.
Now, in any way he is detrimental for Arsenal team, in fact even in the wrong setup he can be a good player for them, as his on-off indicates, since he is goal threat in the last third of the pitch and a help the defense a lot.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
He bring more workrate than both auba Willian combined he won't let the opponent RB rest. He basically not fit because everytime he got hit in ankle he hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom