• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gabriel (out)

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Not sure if this is worthy of a thread but it would be a smart move with Chambers returning and Per fit.

http://news.arseblog.com/2017/05/gabriel-linked-with-summer-valencia-switch/

According to Cadena Ser, Valencia have made Gabriel one of their priorities as they look to strengthen their defence for next season.

The La Liga side are currently managed by Marcelino, who was the Brazilian’s manager at Villarreal, so he knows him well and it is this relationship in particular which has made the Arsenal man a target.

Of course there are complications. Gabriel is currently injured with a knee problem that is going to keep him out until August. There’s also the fact that if Arsenal stick with a back three, they need to ensure they have enough depth at centre-half to cope throughout the season.

And then there’s the financial element. Valencia have had ongoing issues with cashflow, although the £35m they got from the Gunners last August for Shkodran Mustafi, as well as other sales, might have left them with some room for manoeuvre.

Did look better towards the end season (3-4-3 effect?) but he hasn't been able to secure first team place. Might be smart move to move back to Spain.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Charming, I wasn't suggesting we keep Gabriel, just don't trust Chambers. Holding is much better. So:p:p

Yeah I guess if we stick to 3 at the back we want 5 players to rotate. Kos, Mustafi, Holding, Per, Chambers seems pretty solid to me, a good range of experience. Dare I say exciting..

edit: There are now rumours of Per retiring so...

blaise

Monreal is ahead of Chambers and Gabriel as LCB, think he is even first choice there Mustafi-Kos-Monreal, subs Holding-Per-?

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

This is like Christmas.

Gabriel and Chambers is another £30m, send it to Monaco along with the other £30m from Lucas and Szczesny and we've got ourselves another Mbappe limb.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
We have to be careful with our depth at CB. Koscienly has already stated he has problems that require daily treatment, Monreal is 2nd choice LWB presuming Kolasinac comes and Mertesacker is looking at retirement.

I'm not too bothered whether he stays or goes, Gabriel did perform to a decent level in the three and in the current setup I don't think you need three world class CB's to be a solid unit.

arsmile

Established Member
i think we should keep him

when you consider his injury will likely keep him out for the most of the summer we wouldn't even get a proper fee for him

Impact

Established Member
Selling Gabriel for a fee would be great work. Never good enough to have a serious role here.

Depth isn't an issue either. We have Koscielny, Mustafi, Monreal, Mertesacker, Holding, and Chambers as options in the middle.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
We should jump at this opportunity. Gabriel lost his starting spot to Holding at the end of the season. That would place him behind Kos, Mustafi, Monreal, Merts and Holding. Getting good money for your fifth choice CB is smart business.

Also we have Chambers coming back to take his spot, and Bielik performed well for Birmingham too.

Time to sell Gabriel.

4R5Emaniac

Always fresh from Bangladesh
I think he is a good player and I like him but it'd be better for all concerned that we go separate ways. Valencia under Marcelino would be a great destination for him.

blaise

I actually think Gibbs will stay as Monreal will probably be first choice LCB, and Kolasinac first choice LWB ( also some say he can play LCB), it is important to have at least one ballplaying CB of the two in 3-4-3, bigger chance we sell Gabriel than Gibbs. Think Gibbs will see out his contract with us as a sub.

say yes

forum master baiter
Selling Gabriel for a fee would be great work. Never good enough to have a serious role here.

Depth isn't an issue either. We have Koscielny, Mustafi, Monreal, Mertesacker, Holding, and Chambers as options in the middle.

Agree with every word of this.

blaze_of_glory

Sounds like Mertesacker isn't going to be playing much at all.. but I guess we'll still have enough cover if Gab does go.

blaise

Yup I d definetely sell one of Gabriel and Chambers. Chambers is younger, English so he wont lose much value. If we can get 15m we should sell Gabriel and maybe reinvest that depending how our coaches rate Chambers.

blaise

Monreal - Koscielny - Mustafi
Holding - Mertesacker - Chambers

Lots of options there.

Yup, just Mert gave interview where he basically said he thinks of retiring and just playing if it is emergency and going upstairs in club so we d need one more unless Chambers is ready or if Bielik is that higly rated, dont know.

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
This is starting to look like dream summer. Someone pinch me!

Tbf to the scared Brazilian, this is the best move for all parties. Please be true

Latest posts+

Top Bottom