• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gabriel Paulista (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHusMan

Mustafi
Koscielny
Mertesacker
Monreal
Holding

I'd like to think we'll bring in a Van Dijk or at least try but it's unlikely knowing we pretty much have 5 CB options. If you look at the other top clubs they aren't exactly filled with great CB options.

City have Otamendi and Stones alongside a completely injury prone kompany.

It's more about the system than the quality of defender in my opinion. As long as you have a natural leader at the back of course.

He was certainly good enough for the two seasons he kept Nathaniel Clyne out of the team at Southampton. He just needs game time.
He had 22 games in 13/14, most of which came following an injury and some poor form from Clyne after recovery.

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
As pointed out RB was not an unfamiliar position for him. Also a player of real quality won`t have his confidence destroyed for years to come after struggling badly for a couple of games.

FreakySami

The only obvious plan for Wenger is keep the ****head Gibbs for LWB cover and uhhh look we have Monreal and Kolasinac that can play centerback
Please don't talk **** when you can't back it up. Gibbs isn't willing to take a pay cut and will rot on the bench. He will play in the efl cup or reserves.

Token Yank

Ugh, not happy with this. Always liked Gabriel, a true underdog in every sense of the word. Hopefully it means we are bringing in a proper CB. I wish him the best.

Malky

Established Member
Genuinely want him to be a success at Valencia! Always liked the guy, but I think the language barrier was his biggest problem here, not being able to speak the language he probably never felt settled. That said, he was a better player than people are giving him credit for.
There is people on here defending Chambers over him, but is he (Chambers) really any better than him? Chambers was average at CB from what I've seen, and when played at RB he got absolutely roasted, he was worse than both Debuchy and Jenkinson. :lol: Atleast Gabriel was a solid option at RB.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Chambers couldn't even get in the squad here when Koscielny, Mertesacker, Gabriel and Mustafi weren't fit, Wenger preferred an unfit Mustafi.

Just because we got our money back for a flop, doesn't mean they're now gonna forget how bad Chambers is.

Mustafi, Koscielny, Monreal is likely first choice with Holding and Mertesacker backup. A new one is needed but it won't happen.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Did Mertesacker admit that he's struggled for motivation or not? It's a simple yes or no answer.
Getting attacked for speaking the truth...smh. A player that says he has problems with motivation after he has won something is a huge deal. These guys have money, status..doesn't even matter if they win or not. If you're not motivated after winning trophies..ffs. That should motivate you even more, not make you feel like you have everything that you wanted.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Chambers couldn't even get in the squad here when Koscielny, Mertesacker, Gabriel and Mustafi weren't fit, Wenger preferred an unfit Mustafi.

He is also sleeping on Holdings floor while Welbeck rents out his house. Decent bid & guess he is gone.

JHusMan

Debuchy, Gibbs, Jenkinson, Gabriel and Chambers out for around £40m would surely mean we'd buy a defender of some description. The defenders in the squad not counting players like Ox at RWB would be -

Bellerin, Mustafi, Koscielny, Mertesacker, Holding, Monreal, Kolasinac.

I think that's quite poor.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Mustafi
Koscielny
Mertesacker
Monreal
Holding

I'd like to think we'll bring in a Van Dijk or at least try but it's unlikely knowing we pretty much have 5 CB options. If you look at the other top clubs they aren't exactly filled with great CB options.

City have Otamendi and Stones alongside a completely injury prone kompany.

It's more about the system than the quality of defender in my opinion. As long as you have a natural leader at the back of course.
Two of those five will be gone within the next two seasons and are old another is continually carrying injuries while coming to the end and the other is in experienced. It may get us through this season but it would be much wiser to prepare for the inevitable now.

JHusMan

Two of those five will be gone within the next two seasons and are old another is continually carrying injuries while coming to the end and the other is in experienced. It may get us through this season but it would be much wiser to prepare for the inevitable now.

I agree especially when someone like Van Dijk is completely available.

Which two will be gone within the next two seasons btw?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom