• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gabriel Paulista (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

I agree especially when someone like Van Dijk is completely available.

Which two will be gone within the next two seasons btw?
Mertesacker his contract is up at the end of the season and Monreal the following.

vantoure

Did Mertesacker admit that he's struggled for motivation or not? It's a simple yes or no answer.
Was there a context to what he said, yes or no? I'm with Aevius on this, what he said then does not have a bearing on situation of squad now. Totally unrelated.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

Oh that's fair. To be honest he's certainly replaceable. Just replace Mertesacker next summer and then Nacho the one after :)
You also have to consider
Koscielny is 31 going 32 next month, Monreal is 31 turning 32 in February Mertesacker is 32 turning 33 next month.

JHusMan

You also have to consider
Koscielny is 31 going 32 next month, Monreal is 31 turning 32 in February Mertesacker is 32 turning 33 next month.

I reckon Kosc and Nacho will go on until they're 34. By that point Holding will be 23/24 and should be a regular first team player to be honest. Bielik would've taken up the Holding role and he'll be the youngster coming through. As long as we buy the correct defenders its all good I reckon.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

I reckon Kosc and Nacho will go on until they're 34. By that point Holding will be 23/24 and should be a regular first team player to be honest. Bielik would've taken up the Holding role and he'll be the youngster coming through. As long as we buy the correct defenders its all good I reckon.
Oh Lordy. We never learn. Bielik. Anyone remember Kyle Bartley, Djourou or more recently Chambers. We shouldn't rely on any youngster coming through and filling a spot until they actually do.

We also should not be relying on 34 year old defenders. Bringing in Van Dijk or another now eases any transition and that's what we need to do across the board. Not have players reaching the end either physically or contractually and having not prepared for it.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Was there a context to what he said, yes or no? I'm with Aevius on this, what he said then does not have a bearing on situation of squad now. Totally unrelated.
I don't know what the context was, I just repeated what he said and was attacked for it. That's ridiculous behaviour.

But I'll play ball and provide this precious context. After winning the World Cup in 2014 he admitted he was struggling to motivate himself to play. We're now three years on, he spent all of last season injured/on the bench and now he's entering this season knowing that it's his last one.

Also read this: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.da...rsenal-captain-Mertesacker-retire-summer.html

Combining all of these facts with that article where he pretty much admits that he wanted to retire this summer makes me think that motivation is still an issue. Alternatively you can continue to demand context that only suits your agenda. Up to you.

say yes

forum master baiter
Confused by the reaction on here...we've sold one of our more experienced CB's and are now relying even more on kids than we were before.

We've sold our 7th best CB, who's been nothing but a complete liability in his time here. What good is his supposed experience?

His experience didn't stop Diego Costa from winding him up (compare with the inexperienced Holding). His experience hasn't stopped him from lunging in at stupid moments, most recently against Sp**s at WHL. Above all, his experience hasn't made him a good defender. He's so **** it's unreal.

Besides, even if he did have any good experience locked up deeply inside him, he can't exactly pass it on to anyone else can he?

Actually quite thankful Gabriel can't speak English. Imagine a guy who has somehow managed to concede 18 goals in 5 and a half CL games trying to pass on his defensive secrets to anyone.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
I don't know what the context was, I just repeated what he said and was attacked for it. That's ridiculous behaviour.

But I'll play ball and provide this precious context. After winning the World Cup in 2014 he admitted he was struggling to motivate himself to play. We're now three years on, he spent all of last season injured/on the bench and now he's entering this season knowing that it's his last one.

Also read this: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.da...rsenal-captain-Mertesacker-retire-summer.html

Combining all of these facts with that article where he pretty much admits that he wanted to retire this summer makes me think that motivation is still an issue. Alternatively you can continue to demand context that only suits your agenda. Up to you.
I probably shouldn't wade in, but after his MOTM at Wembley he was clearly quite passionate about the way he had been written off during his long lay-off

not the attitude of a man no longer motivated

skip spence

So Gab's leaving, is he?

Oh well. I'll remember him fondly for the innumerable tears and for celebrating a points-saving last-ditch tackle with the clinched fist, I've forgotten what game.

Average player though and easily replaceable.

Best of luck to him!

BobP

Memri Fan
I still chuckle to myself when thinking about that Gabriel's effort to play cricket.

I mean, who in their right mind thought it a good idea to include Gabriel. Like "you know what would be a good idea? Getting a stern faced, favela raised Brazilian to play a bit of cricket".

Aevi

Hale End FC
Chambers couldn't even get in the squad here when Koscielny, Mertesacker, Gabriel and Mustafi weren't fit, Wenger preferred an unfit Mustafi.

Just because we got our money back for a flop, doesn't mean they're now gonna forget how bad Chambers is.

Mustafi, Koscielny, Monreal is likely first choice with Holding and Mertesacker backup. A new one is needed but it won't happen.
A lot has changed since then in Chambers' favor. The issue with him wasn't lack of ability, but rather lack of experience. He didn't play often enough in a cycle that made him a risk to play, and when he did, it wasn't always at CB. Now however, he has had a full season at the top level where he was only hindered by an injury in the middle of the season. This summer, he was chosen ahead of the likes of Holding for the U21s which is assurance of his quality and is sure to give him a good boost in confidence.

Gabriel meanwhile has mostly rotted on the bench, and it is unlikely his experience has come into play off the pitch. I don't dislike him by any means, but his sale doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

I still chuckle to myself when thinking about that Gabriel's effort to play cricket.

I mean, who in their right mind thought it a good idea to include Gabriel. Like "you know what would be a good idea? Getting a stern faced, favela raised Brazilian to play a bit of cricket".

Sounds genius to me. Whats that referring to??

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

We've sold our 7th best CB, who's been nothing but a complete liability in his time here. What good is his supposed experience?

His experience didn't stop Diego Costa from winding him up (compare with the inexperienced Holding). His experience hasn't stopped him from lunging in at stupid moments, most recently against Sp**s at WHL. Above all, his experience hasn't made him a good defender. He's so **** it's unreal.

Besides, even if he did have any good experience locked up deeply inside him, he can't exactly pass it on to anyone else can he?

Actually quite thankful Gabriel can't speak English. Imagine a guy who has somehow managed to concede 18 goals in 5 and a half CL games trying to pass on his defensive secrets to anyone.
Never actually said he was good at any point, just said he's more experienced which he is.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

I probably shouldn't wade in, but after his MOTM at Wembley he was clearly quite passionate about the way he had been written off during his long lay-off

not the attitude of a man no longer motivated
You know the article was after we won the cup at Wembley?

burnsjed

Established Member

From your article.

'I was extremely lucky with my career and I want to finish on a high. I am motivated, but I cannot play every three days any more. I don't want to stretch my luck.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Gabriel was largely selected by Stat DNA pointers, according to Wenger just after he was bought.

Really hope the algorithms have improved drastically in the last 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom