• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gaby Mudingayi

Mostarac

Established Member
Gunners target Toro youngster.

Torino striker Gaby Mudingayi was watched by an Arsenal scout in the 3-0 win over Catanzaro on Sunday. The Serie B forward was praised for his stunning performance and Toro expect the Gunners to make an offer in the summer.

Channel 4 reports this.

Soler

Established Member
Ah, yes ... yet another 'new Vieira', as Gaby isn't a striker, he's a defensive midfielder. He's a very promising player in Serie B but he's got something else in common with Vieira: he's always getting booked and can be over-zealous in the challenge a bit.

That was also an own goal, not a proper goal ;).

Soler

Established Member
Anyway, Mudingayi is a lot like a younger Vieira actually. He's around 6'0 but can literally play anywhere in midfield as for Torino he's played as a defensive midfielder, roaming central midfielder, link-up attacking midfielder and even on the right wing.

He's 22-years-old, born in the Democratic Republic of the Congo but he has a Belgian passport after playing for Ghent for several years.

A few teams want him but he wouldn't go for more than £2.5m, probably.

Soler

Established Member
Keep it on topic please =).

Mudingayi.jpg

Gaby Mudingayi

Soler

Established Member
Possibly. He's no less talented than Edu is and would be a decent squad player to have.

Canuck

Established Member
Everyone is clamouring for big name signings but I think that solid squad players are more Wenger's style considering we already have enough egos. Edu's is starting to get in the way...
So I'd say that Gaby is certainly a good possibility.

kompany

to be honest I'm really surprised about the Mudingayi-interest, I haven't really seen him play in his Ghent-period, but I remember that he wasn't particularly highly-rated back then. I've seen him in the one game when he played for Belgium though, and I remember that he had great energy and defended very effectively, I certainly didn't consider him arsenal-material at the time, however.

nevertheless I'm getting curious about him as reports are claiming that he has made great progress in Italy, could anybody who has seen him play recently, judge whether he could compete with a player like Flamini?

Soler

Established Member
He's probably not quite at Flamini's level of natural talent but he is one of those players who will improve if he is properly coached. He'd learn a lot from Vieira, Gilberto and Cesc as that's three very different type of midfielders.

kompany

some fresh news on this front:
belgian newspaper "het nieuwsblad" has interviewed Mudingayi and I have translated one fragment in which he comments on his transfer possibilities;

"Arsenal is very interested and they will certainly keep a close eye on me till june, they also have made an offer of 1.5mln, but at the moment i'm valued at 4mln. ...... Offcourse playing for Arsenal would be great, but right now my only concern is to keep on playing well for Torino. There's also a number of Italian clubs who see me as a big player in the future. Also Inter milan is interested"

After his first match following the winter break, the 'gazetta dello sport' has praised him and described him as ' a player who wins more balls on the field than a fisher can catch fish in his net'(I'm sure it sounds better in italian)
Also: with his amazing fighting spirit has earned a place in the hearts of the Torino-fans" I give everything, every game, and that's something that the fans appreciate"

I still haven't seen him play for Torino, but it seems he's attracting all the right attention at the moment. I'm sure a number of fans would object against another unknown player, but if all the reports are true he could be a useful squad player at the least. However I do think that 4 mln is probably too much,considering the talent of flamini as a back-up.

tbbosa

Mostarac said:
Another interesting young player is Manuel Fernandes(Benfica). He is only 19 years old. He has been playing excellent for Benfica this season. His contract will expire in the summer, and he has not signed a extension with Benfica.

http://www.zerozero.pt/jogador.php?edicao_id=0&id=2741

Am tired of this crap of young this, young that, prospect that and this and promising players that never come of age. What Wenger buys is what is good all these other prospects are just that!! Some will be others won't....Ebou is going to surprise many here, more than Kolo Toure I tell you. People on this Forum will eat their words. Everyone wants great promising players, but others have failed to impress. Reminds of of Denilsson of Brazil, people were saying he was better than Ronaldhino, where is he now?
:eek:

Matt

http://www.belgiumsoccer.be/wmview.php?ArtID=13678
The Belgian press are reporting for the second time in a week that Belgian Gaby Mudingayi is a possible new signing of Arsenal.

Mudingayi is a defensive midfielder and he plays at Torino. There he is one of the best each week. Before Torino he playd foor AA Gent in Belgium, but there he sat most of the time on the bench. During that period he was once selected for a friendly with our national team.

In the Interview above Mudingayi says:
"Arsenal is very interested. Certainly up to June they will continu to follow me closely. They have brought out an offer of one and a half million euro. But at this moment I am four millions euro worth. And that whereas Torino have bought me previous year for 250,000 euro."

So it looks like Arsenal would again buy a youngster instead of a big name. If all this is true, but the Belgian press is pretty reliable on that kind of things, they don't make up stories.

Anyone heard of this interest in him in the British papers ?

Latest posts

Top Bottom