• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gary Cahill

Newchange

Jonathan Tah also needs to be thrown in the mix. A real powerhouse defender with over 100+ appearances for Leverkusen at the age of 22. Surely Sven is aware of his potential, 30-40m should tempt Leverkusen.

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

A short term fix might not be enough imo. I ideally you get a sub 25 year old in now and get another in the summer.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
I said pretty much exactly the same thing in another thread. No doubt VVD is an exceptional defender but a defence is a unit and Robertson, Gomez and Alexander-Arnold have been just as important and the 3 players combined cost under £15m. United have shown that throwing loads of money at a team doesn't work unless you get the right players, create the right partnerships and achieve balance. I used the example of Mertesacker, not a World beater and had his flaws but he was calm, read the game well and a leader and that bought the whole defence up a level.

Yeah Liverpool have done an amazing job with their defence even if you disregard vvd.. I think Robertson is world class, Gomez and Taa are both quality players. Alexander-Arnold got a chance from their academy too. I’d much rather sink or swim giving a chance to someone like Mavropanos or Medley than get Cahill on loan.. Actually there’s nothing anyone can say that will get me to support this signing or signings like this:lol:

Malky

Established Member
It’s pathetic that we’re at a point where a half season loan from a rival’s unwanted CB would improve our defence. It’s embarrassing, I think I’d rather self-immolate till the end of the season than swallow that pill.
It would really put things into perspective of how pathetic we are in the transfer market if we take this mug on loan and Chelsea, getting him off the wage book, go out and sign a genuine quality, starting CB.
People saying " a loan is fine, we'll sign someone in the summer " why not next month? Liverpool signed Van Dijk in January! It can be done!

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
People saying " a loan is fine, we'll sign someone in the summer " why not next month? Liverpool signed Van Dijk in January! It can be done!
Liverpool had CL football and the Coutinho money.

Leeroy1979

I'd take Cahill. Experienced and understands what being a winner is. Can't see why we can't go all in and go for a top cb now though. Don't tell me the money isn't there.

Malky

Established Member
Liverpool had CL football and the Coutinho money.
Without some quality signings in defence we wont have Champions League next season either. Cahill won't change anything, he fills a squad space and that's it. Is it really going to cripple the club financially to spend what's needed on a defender when it helps us get into the top 4 and qualify for the Champions League.
What was the point in building the Emirates and going through the years where we were genuinely skint if we're still loaning unwanted, 33 year old has been, defenders from our rivals in 2019?

Judasviking

I'd take Cahill. Experienced and understands what being a winner is. Can't see why we can't go all in and go for a top cb now though. Don't tell me the money isn't there.

Seriously man?!?! We said the same about Lich, look!!

We cant loan a CB from our rivals who dont even are playing in the first team and are 32 year old!

This is deppressing and i cant believe that it is actually a thread about it even... FFS

Leeroy1979

I'd love to see us roll the dice....spunk the money bring in koulibaly and tah. Recoup some of the money by shipping out some of the players who are not up to where we want to be. We won't do it so tah (the cheaper option) and Cahill would do me fine for Jan. Go for koulibaly in summer when kocielny goes. That would give us two absolute beasts in the heart of our defence

Leeroy1979

Seriously man?!?! We said the same about Lich, look!!

We cant loan a CB from our rivals who dont even are playing in the first team and are 32 year old!

This is deppressing and i cant believe that it is actually a thread about it even... FFS
Tell me that loaning Cahill is worse than the ****storm we currently find ourselves in. We are hoping and praying a 20 year old Greek international will stiffen our defence up when he comes back from injury to play in his...3rd or 4th prem league game. Desperate times! Don't get me wrong I'd rather the club invest big time to improve us but something need some to be done

Newchange

It would really put things into perspective of how pathetic we are in the transfer market if we take this mug on loan and Chelsea, getting him off the wage book, go out and sign a genuine quality, starting CB.

City also signed Laporte in Jan, it can be done!

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Without some quality signings in defence we wont have Champions League next season either. Cahill won't change anything, he fills a squad space and that's it. Is it really going to cripple the club financially to spend what's needed on a defender when it helps us get into the top 4 and qualify for the Champions League.
Give me a name of one CB the club can sign right now that would fit the profile.

Judasviking

Tell me that loaning Cahill is worse than the ****storm we currently find ourselves in. We are hoping and praying a 20 year old Greek international will stiffen our defence up when he comes back from injury to play in his...3rd or 4th prem league game. Desperate times! Don't get me wrong I'd rather the club invest big time to improve us but something need some to be done

Yes im gonna tell you that.

Bring in a proper Cb we can have like Pool did with Virgil for example.

We are "fighting" for a 4'th and CL place THIS season and then you say we gonna loan a old man who dont play regular football from our rival that we are competing with for the 4th place? Don't you get me?

Tah or Pavard or whatever is fine this window but FFS man....

You talking about **** storm now and you think Cahill gonna save us? right

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Medhi Benatia probably as close as it gets
I thought he was talking about a VVD level signing? I'd take Cahill or Benatia on a short-term deal, either of those could help get top 4 and then you reassess in the summer.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom