• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gelson Martins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stannis

It’s feels wrong getting these players, it’s like dating a women straight after she breaks up.

However we would be stupid not to go for Martins. I’ll take carvahalo as well, even though I think he is overrated, having him and Torreira would be great.

Both will have plenty of suitors on a free though

ArtetaCognition

Granit Xhaka Enthusiast

Funny how the player that I would want most here, Bruno Fernandes, is not even being spoken about.

EDIT: For what it's worth, Martins is by no means a poor player but I think his ceiling is below what we are trying to attain. I'm almost certain that we are not and never have been interested in him.

Stannis

Funny how the player that I would want most here, Bruno Fernandes, is not even being spoken about.

EDIT: For what it's worth, Martins is by no means a poor player but I think his ceiling is below what we are trying to attain. I'm almost certain that we are not and never have been interested in him.

We are overstocked in the attacking midfield positions, their are numerous players I’d want but their are bigger priorities.

I agree that Martins isn’t top quality, but on a free he is a great deal. The only others I’d want over him are Dembele, Guedes, Pavon and Bailey. Pavon aside the rest unrealistic targets

BoRis

We are overstocked in the attacking midfield positions, their are numerous players I’d want but their are bigger priorities.

I agree that Martins isn’t top quality, but on a free he is a great deal. The only others I’d want over him are Dembele, Guedes, Pavon and Bailey. Pavon aside the rest unrealistic targets

I'm portuguese so I follow Sporting games closely and I would take Gelson above all of those you mention except for Dembele.

He is a great player and has improved is end product in the last season. He only has two full seasons in the first team and he been improving, so it is expected that he will keep his improvement.

For sure he is a better wide player than any we have and for sure he brings qualities that we miss.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
One or two of these guys for free would be indeed great business, even though Martins still looks a bit raw.
Was just looking at a video of some goals Fernandes scored for Sporting last season and all of them were long shots from a canon of a right peg.
I've seen that he can play multiple positions in midfield, but if we end up getting him as well, then one of Wilshere or Ramsey would be sacrificed.

With Wilshere possibly about to leave for free, it would be great to get someone even better for free to replace him. Fernandes has played all over the midfield (even in a defensive role), so his versatility would be of great value. I'd happily swap Wilshere for him. It would be very interesting, if they all get set free, to see if they would be interested in moving together.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
With Wilshere possibly about to leave for free, it would be great to get someone even better for free to replace him. Fernandes has played all over the midfield (even in a defensive role), so his versatility would be of great value. I'd happily swap Wilshere for him. It would be very interesting, if they all get set free, to see if they would be interested in moving together.
Yeah, I would give Jack the boot too. He's not offering much in midfield these days and he's still a hot head.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist

According to his profile at Whoscored, Fernandes has played pretty much everywhere in the midfield. Seems like he would be a good replacement for Wilshere.

Screen_Shot_2018-06-11_at_4.16.46_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2018-06-11_at_4.21.02_PM.png

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I'm portuguese so I follow Sporting games closely and I would take Gelson above all of those you mention except for Dembele.

He is a great player and has improved is end product in the last season. He only has two full seasons in the first team and he been improving, so it is expected that he will keep his improvement.

For sure he is a better wide player than any we have and for sure he brings qualities that we miss.

What about Bruno Fernandes? Would he be good here?

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Remember that crazy goalscoring run he had with them? KdB worked some crazy magic then.

Yeah, really a testament to De Bruyne's quality and Dost's awfulness. Went off a cliff after the Belgian went to City. Gone from 15/5/1 to 36/20/7 with Kevin back to 31/10/2 without him again. De Bruyne took Wolfsburg to a runners up BL and a DBF Cup win. Absolute standout BL player in 14/15.

Dost is seriously limited though. Giroud would hit similar/better numbers in France or Portugal. He was seriously overwhelmed with leading the line for a team that tried to challenge for/establish themslves in the BL top 4.

You just have to admit there's limits of quality for some footballers. Luuk de Jong looked like the next Huntelaar, completely failed at Gladbach only to return to the Netherlands. Terodde, two time 2. BL top goalscorer with 25 each in a row, failed to put his mark on the BL at Stuttgart and Cologne, with whom he now went back down. Dost is on the Eredivisie/Liga NOS level, don't think there's more in him.

Not as a starter obviously, but if we still want a big lump upfront coming off the bench, then few are better

I'm done with big lumps at Arsenal. Thank Olivier.

Last edited:

Zaza

Not a fan. Squad player at best imo. If we're going to have someone block Reiss Nelson's path to the first team, it might as well be a Lemar, Forsberg, etc and not this guy. Free or not..

BoRis

What about Bruno Fernandes? Would he be good here?

Bruno Fernandes would be a great addition as well. Even more if Ramsey doesn't extend is contract.

He has the scoring ability of Ramsey (and is great from long distance) while being able to deliver a good number of assists. Has great vision and good first touch (unlike Ramsey). This season he played in several positions with quality, from CM (with William), AM and even second striker (behind Bas Dost). He understands the game very well

Paying 50 million € for him would be a good value for the money, so if we could get him for free it would be the deal of the season. For sure a great replacement for Wilshere and Cazorla.

Regarding Sporting, the club is completely burning. Their fans are desperate for their president to leave but he is so hold to the power that he doens't want to resign (the contract rescission are already making them lose more than 100M€ and there could be more players to leave on a free). I'm a Benfica supporter and it got to a point that it isn't even fun to laugh at them.

Aevi

Hale End FC
Big Ramsey fan but getting a fee for him and bringing Fernandes for free(-ish) would be fantastic business. Money in the bank and a sideways move, if not an upgrade, to boot.

Fernandes will be receiving attention from many top clubs though, so this might not actually be a realistic possibility. Only way to do that would be by offering him one of the biggest sign-on fees, which would make him far from free.

Martins is more realistic, and he'd be much needed seeing as we have virtually no wingers. Definitely one to look at considering his price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Football is a bit like elections. Before it's unpredictable. After it's unexplainable... But there's an opportunity for us to make it unforgettable.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom