General Reserves Talk

Discussion in 'The Arsenal Academy Page' started by M+D, Aug 3, 2010.

1. MutableEarth

MutableEarth Bloody awesome NSFW avatars Trusted

Elneny did not pay off for him when he made that decision to play him so :lol:. I wholeheartedly agree though, it is irrelevant because we don't make those decisions.

Regarding being willing to wait, I don't think being willing comes into it - we have to deal because it's not our decision. I just think it's a bad decision to ignore the youngsters personally because we will lose them and regret it IMO, but the game is the game.

SingmeasongSong likes this.
  2. arsenefc

arsenefc Obsessed With Guendouzi

really wish Willock or AMN had the opportunities that Doozi had this season. Higher ceiling.

3. HBL

HBL Well-Known Member

Saka reminds me of Sane, going to be a great player.

4. hydrofluoric acid

hydrofluoric acid Dishonest To His Federation

Honestly I don't see anything that Emery is not secure in his position. I think the people in higher positions have all said he will be given time. Raul has even said that he want to see a group of academy players come through and become a starters so I think there is a lot of patience and understanding that the manager needs to be given time.

I think the main reason we didn't see as many youngsters start this season in EL group stage or coming on as subs as previous season is that Emery didn't know most of them as well as Wenger did so I'm given him the benefit of the doubt. If we are in EL next season(hopefully not) I'm expecting players like Nketiah, Willock, Nelson and Smith-Rowe to be trusted a more! That is, if they are not on loan!

Full season now so Emery and his own team has been able to gather a lot of information about the players in u23 and u18 and his job is save for next season I'm pretty sure. So it will be a very interesting to see what Emery will do, who he will promote, who he will loan and sell!

Football Manager and 9jagooner like this.
  5. Maybe

Maybe Well-Known Member

He messed up only with Nketiah. ESR did get some minutes and he was sent out on loan, Willock only started to dominate u23 games this season so it leaves us with Nketiah who is in a bad position and I think there was enough space to get him 5-10 sub appearances.

6. Maybe

Maybe Well-Known Member

Btw, isn't that ESR's second big injury in a space of few years?

7. 9jagooner

9jagooner Well-Known Member

Whichever way we look at it, we've got to give Emery the benefit of doubt. He wants to make a big statement this season by qualifying for the CL. He will play players he trusts can deliver. Some will work out, a few won't. Even for us, we can clamour all we want, there is not guarantee that any of our suggestions would have worked out as thought. We've seen ESR and Willock in games this season. They didn't do too badly in my opinion but they also didn't have the Odoi/Rashford or even Cesc/Guendozi/Wilshere effect.

I believe they will get their chance next season whether at Arsenal or on loan. I personally don't think we'll keep Elneny beyond this season so chance for Willock. But have we also considered that Willock may not be willing to sit on the bench and wait for the one off playing time? A lot of factors to consider.

Football Manager likes this.
  8. 9jagooner

9jagooner Well-Known Member

Exactly. Win or lose, Emery will take the praise/blame. So far, still in contention for top 4, he hasn't done badly.

Dregen57 and Football Manager like this.
  9. al-Ustaadh

al-Ustaadh Professor of Twitter

10. MutableEarth

MutableEarth Bloody awesome NSFW avatars Trusted

Good summary of my feelings on the matter.

Aevi likes this.
  11. Maybe

Maybe Well-Known Member

Ideally you play them in League cup, Europe group stage and earlier rounds of FA cup, send them out on loan late in January.
    Clubs are full of money and they don't care anymore, it was why we had great success from 2005-2009 with young players, we needed them because there wasn't enough money.

12. pigge

pigge Wishes Wrestling Fans Liked Him

[​IMG]

Tourbillion and celestis like this.
  13. arsenefc

arsenefc Obsessed With Guendouzi

[​IMG]

Tourbillion likes this.
  14. BobP

BobP Memri Fan

ESR will probably remain on loan at RBL until the end of next season. Now is all about getting him fit and bedded. Should be raring to go by the time preseason rolls around.

Competition for places will be intense though. If RBL persist with the 4-2-2-2, ESR will be competing with the likes of Bruma, Forsberg, Sabitzer, and Wolf.

15. Tir Na Nog

Tir Na Nog In Big Trouble If He Speaks

Nagelsmann is going to be their coach next season and he usually opts for 3-1-4-2 (5-3-2). So if he persists with that then you'd imagine Emile's best bet would be one of the interior midfielders maybe?

16. BobP

BobP Memri Fan

That's possible. The competition is even more intense in that case though.

ESR would be competing with some of the attackers I've listed above, bearing in mind Nagelsmann's propensity to deploy players of that ilk in a midfield 3 [see Kramarić], in addition to the bona fide central midfielders.

Tir Na Nog likes this.
  17. Tosker

Tosker Hates Foreigners

I don't get this out on loan to decent clubs thing - we seem to expect clubs who are not much below us to play someone we wouldn't play

keeping them and playing them in cup competitions can backfire too, as if we get knocked out early because we haven't fielded a strong side then those opportunities don't last long

I'm more in favour of sending the most promising out on loan to lower league clubs, chosing managers who have a reputation of developing youth - building a good relationship with a few sides would help

18. Maybe

Maybe Well-Known Member

Yeah, playing senior players got us really far in domestic cups this year

19. hydrofluoric acid

hydrofluoric acid Dishonest To His Federation

I'm not all that fan of loans, but given the number of players that have talent to make it here a few will have to go on loan!

This season I would have wanted to see Willock get a few of Guendouzi minutes. The latter has at times look exhausted, understandably coming from France were he barely played to PL where he is getting a lot of minutes. I think Willock performance in u23 this season should have seen him compete for at least some of those minutes!

20. krengon

krengon One Arsene Wenger Trusted

With Sokratis being banned for 2 games and Koscielny unable to cope with 2 games a week, if Mavropanos doesn't get a look in now is it safe to say the rumours earlier about us not rating him as highly anymore were true? Wasted year for him too it looks like.