• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,736
  • Views 1,149,977

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Thought Emery might him. Willing runner, hard-working and competitive. Got signed to a 2nd pro deal early this year, and has been a regular for Ljungberg's U23. He's a bit like AMN - good athlete, does a lot of things to a decent standard, can play central or wide, and back-up full-back. Jeorge Bird commented that he isn't that strong, which I would actually dispute - think he's actually pretty powerful when he gets going. Definitely has the frame to become a more powerful player. He'll definitely be a sleeper player, and I expect him to be a starting CM for the U23s - it'll likely be a Smith-Olayinka pairing, with Olayinka providing the dribbling and speed and Smith with the passing and movement.

Could see him get a Europa League nod depending on his progression. Big season for some of the more recently unheralded players in the U23s. Smith-Olayinka midfield, Trae Coyle ahead of them. Olayinka and Coyle are 2 players to watch.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/the...op-young-talent-as/1jw4ju0jf0u5h1akt12yws1fix

“Jordi not getting a chance last season didn’t make sense to any of us,” said Bramall. “We were gutted for Jordi because we were expecting him to be with the first team a lot more and we didn’t really understand why he wasn’t.

“He deserves his chance. I think Ainsley has done a good job there but I feel sorry for him because he’s not a right-back, he’s a midfield player and he can be a scary player there.

“He deserves a chance in midfield and Jordi deserves a chance at right-back. If that doesn’t happen then I think Jordi will have a successful loan because he is that good. He’s one of the best right-backs I’ve seen.”

@BobP - seems to be a Goal.com exclusive. For what it's worth, I think Bramall is right.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Yeah, the way Maitland-Niles has been used after his MOTM performance at Old Trafford has irked me.
I think there were times when he was his own worst enemy this season, with some really careless football at crucial times. The games vs West Ham and Everton stick out strongly in my mind as really poor performances regardless of position. However, I really felt sympathy as he has a manager who doesn't want to play him in one of his better positions and would rather ignore an actual RB who was performing very well for the U23s and shoehorn in a player who is, honestly, still pretty uncomfortable there despite the odd good game. I will dispute this as long as AMN plays here that he is NOT a right back. He should be playing in midfield or on the right of midfield/wing. I think his performance will definitely go up a level if he's actually given a chance instead of being wasted at right back again.

That game vs Man U should have been the turning point, the launch-pad.

BobP

Memri Fan
https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/the...op-young-talent-as/1jw4ju0jf0u5h1akt12yws1fix

@BobP - seems to be a Goal.com exclusive. For what it's worth, I think Bramall is right.

I wouldn't put much stock in the comments of a bitter ex-player.

I'm almost certain Emery didn't make this decision in a vacuum. The likes of Freddie were probably consulted when Emery realized the dearth in quality at the RB position. Point is, if JOT was ready for 1st team action, he would have played.

Also, AMN at RB isn't necessarily a bad thing. Let's not forget that TAA, who is on his way if not already world class, was developed as a midfielder and struggled when first played at RB.

9jagooner

I wouldn't put much stock in the comments of a bitter ex-player.

I'm almost certain Emery didn't make this decision in a vacuum. The likes of Freddie were probably consulted when Emery realized the dearth in quality at the RB position. Point is, if JOT was ready for 1st team action, he would have played.

Also, AMN at RB isn't necessarily a bad thing. Let's not forget that TAA, who is on his way if not already world class, was developed as a midfielder and struggled when first played at RB.
Exactly. Easy to upgrade players to first team whilst watching from sidelines. In the end, the coaches see these guys in training and know their capabilities. If Nketiah could have turned games around for us last season, Unai wouldn't have left him on the bench.

One thing I agree with Bramall though:

"But with the media and the fans, there is a lot of pressure on youngsters because as soon as they don’t have the best game, people are on to them."

The same fans calling for Nketiah, Saka, etc, will have them for lunch at their first misplaced pass.

If the youngsters at 18 feel they want to move due to lack of first team chances, good for them. Bold move but I'll encourage them to stay, trust their managers, go on loan if necessary.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

I'm sure a lot of people were consulted on him, but an educated decision isn't always the right one. Hindsight and all that, but we don't know if he wasn't ready because he never got a chance, even in a cup game. He may have been ready and we'll never know.

RE AMN, I still don't think it's the right use of his abilities. He's been forced to play there for an entire season so far and he still doesn't look comfortable there. I'm not convinced it'll be his position. Not to downplay AMN's ability, but he's not Trent. Trent has taken to the position very well over a course of time - I don't see AMN doing the same. I've never seen a great full-back in him, but I have faith he'd actually be a great midfielder. It's still a huge disappointment to me after all this time that he isn't playing there, but I've had to accept it.

Exactly. Easy to upgrade players to first team whilst watching from sidelines. In the end, the coaches see these guys in training and know their capabilities. If Nketiah could have turned games around for us last season, Unai wouldn't have left him on the bench.

One thing I agree with Bramall though:

"But with the media and the fans, there is a lot of pressure on youngsters because as soon as they don’t have the best game, people are on to them."

The same fans calling for Nketiah, Saka, etc, will have them for lunch at their first misplaced pass.

If the youngsters at 18 feel they want to move due to lack of first team chances, good for them. Bold move but I'll encourage them to stay, trust their managers, go on loan if necessary.

As I said above, an educated decision isn't always the right one. We can't say for certain if they are ready (I believe they are more ready than people think) but we also can't say they aren't because they haven't had enough opportunities to show it. Nketiah very well could have turned games around this season if he was given a proper shot at a crucial time in the match, but we'll never know. I believe in them, and I'm not one to turn my back on them if they fail, no matter the disappointment. They are talented and we should trust them more.

However, yes I agree with you that the pressure on them from fans and media when they make mistakes is very prominent. It's why I often call on fellow fans to show more support for our young charges and encourage them more. I can honestly say I wouldn't be turning on them.

And I would encourage them to stay as I feel the club needs them, but we have to play them more IMO.

BobP

Memri Fan
I'm sure a lot of people were consulted on him, but an educated decision isn't always the right one. Hindsight and all that, but we don't know if he wasn't ready because he never got a chance, even in a cup game. He may have been ready and we'll never know.

RE AMN, I still don't think it's the right use of his abilities. He's been forced to play there for an entire season so far and he still doesn't look comfortable there. I'm not convinced it'll be his position. Not to downplay AMN's ability, but he's not Trent. Trent has taken to the position very well over a course of time - I don't see AMN doing the same. I've never seen a great full-back in him, but I have faith he'd actually be a great midfielder. It's still a huge disappointment to me after all this time that he isn't playing there, but I've had to accept it.

Fair point.

Wouldn't have done any harm to play him in a cup game. He could be the next Justin Hoyte for all we know but you'd want to be certain of that before discarding him.

I think AMN has potential at that position. I say that because his best performances at RB have come against good opposition and after enduring pretty difficult first halves. I think it's evident to all how difficult it is for defenders to make the necessary adjustments and bounce back from disappointing spells in-game. I look at that mentality and those performances and see a player who could adapt to the RB position.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Schrodinger's Hale End Youngsters.
Exactly. We have to be willing to embrace the unknown :lol:

Fair point.

Wouldn't have done any harm to play him in a cup game. He could be the next Justin Hoyte for all we know but you'd want to be certain of that before discarding him.

I think AMN has potential at that position. I say that because his best performances at RB have come against good opposition and after enduring pretty difficult first halves. I think it's evident to all how difficult it is for defenders to make the necessary adjustments and bounce back from disappointing spells in-game. I look at that mentality and those performances and see a player who could adapt to the RB position.

I'd love to be proven wrong. So many people I know are convinced he was always a world-class RB in the making and I've always been like "What? o_O". I always recall seeing him in midfield for the U23s and running the show, with his dribbling through midfield and clever passes, as well as using his athleticism to dominate in duels. I'd hope he shows a bit more aptitude for the position next year, with more sustained performances rather than the oscillating ones we've seen this season.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I remember seeing Knapper with Mertesacker at Werder Bremen a few months ago.

Wonder who we are planning to loan there?

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Very true.

Only need to look at the treatment of Iwobi and, at times, AMN.
Iwobi was never that talented in the start. He was OK academy player, I didn't like him that much but many did. Now image players that have more talent than he does, It's fair to expect they would do better at top level.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Iwobi was never that talented in the start. He was OK academy player, I didn't like him that much but many did. Now image players that have more talent than he does, It's fair to expect they would do better at top level.
Iwobi's technical proficiency was always very impressive but he didn't have the cutting edge that even Akpom had at that age. He was fortunate to have Wenger in his corner as his biggest fan, and to be fair to Iwobi, I think he's become slightly underrated in some aspects - some people seem to be unwilling or unable to acknowledge any of the good aspects of his game, which I find disappointing. I think while Iwobi has underperformed in terms of end product as an attacker, he can still be a very useful player.

A "currently" similar player IMO is Trae Coyle - outstanding technically, I'd go as far as to say he has a lot more cutting edge in the final third but his technique and body strength are standouts. These are players who could definitely become good squad guys. Coyle could probably go even further if he fulfills his potential completely - he was FAR more heralded as a scholar than Iwobi was. Iwobi was overshadowed by Akpom and AMN at the time.

I remember seeing Knapper with Mertesacker at Werder Bremen a few months ago.

Wonder who we are planning to loan there?
Could be anyone. Depends on what they need - we have a player in almost every position to send them. Need a CB? Can send them Mavropanos, Medley or Ballard. RB? Osei-Tutu. CM? Willock, Wing? Amaechi. CF? Nketiah or John-Jules. Don't rule out ESR going back either.

I think if Amaechi signs a new deal, he'll go to Bremen.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom