• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,771
  • Views 1,155,566

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
This has actually become one of the most exciting pages to follow since Wenger left. Keep it up guys!
While it is very exciting, there's a lot of time between now and when they're a year into pro contracts. Last year's intake was a very solid one and they ended up having a poor U18 campaign despite the individual talent within it (Azeez, Cirjan, Plange, Taylor-Hart, Oyegoke, Ogungbo - none of these guys are slouches!). Development is never linear so while I'm enjoying the development as it happens, I'm more anxious about whether this will turn into a first team influx in the future - anything is possible but there's a lot that needs to happen in order for it to come to pass.

This is a very exciting crop though, the best since 99 at least IMO. What makes this one different is how highly rated the defenders are. Ballard had to fight hard for a contract, while McGuinness was the only CB in his intake that I remember people rated highly. Clarke at the time was a RB/CM until his move to CB. All 3 guys IMO are promising defenders - I think you could build a case for Medley but I think a lot has to happen for him to become the defender we all want him to be.

In contrast to the above players, the defensive players in this group are pretty well heralded. Zane Monlouis is already an U18 regular and England U17 international, Zach Awe is just breaking in at U18 level also and has represented England at U16/17, Taylor Foran is also a prominent name in that group of players and was one of the first to be offered a scholarship. There's a lot of promise there.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Imagine him and Dembele on either flank in a tournament. :rofl:
:lol: insane!

Hutchinson doesn't look that quick but he's got a really low centre of gravity. He also doesn't look weak which is good, as he looked so small in his early videos that I did worry about that. He's filled out pretty nicely for his age. He'll definitely be used out wide and he's pretty adept with both feet so anywhere across that attacking midfield line he'll be dangerous.

A more interesting tandem would be him and Taylor-Hart if he managed to recapture his momentum. A really interesting prospect that will go under the radar because of his injury last season. Very much in the Nelson mould - not quite as devastating but at his best a very threatening player and slightly quicker off the mark IMO. Taylor Hart could rise up to U23s depending on the loan situation.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

:lol: insane!

Hutchinson doesn't look that quick but he's got a really low centre of gravity. He also doesn't look weak which is good, as he looked so small in his early videos that I did worry about that. He's filled out pretty nicely for his age. He'll definitely be used out wide and he's pretty adept with both feet so anywhere across that attacking midfield line he'll be dangerous.

A more interesting tandem would be him and Taylor-Hart if he managed to recapture his momentum. A really interesting prospect that will go under the radar because of his injury last season. Very much in the Nelson mould - not quite as devastating but at his best a very threatening player and slightly quicker off the mark IMO. Taylor Hart could rise up to U23s depending on the loan situation.
Who’s this Sagoe Jr.

Unreal name.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Who’s this Sagoe Jr.

Unreal name.
Little winger, very tricky customer. In all the videos I've seen of this new crop coming through, he's been pretty prominent. Don't really know much about him other than he's small, quick and a very good dribbler. He looks a little similar to Nathan Butler-Oyedeji - a scholar from Azeez' group. Same type of player from what I've seen, quick and good dribbler.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
IIRC Awe actually has started an U18 game before the season ended, started in defensive midfield alongside Patino.

Yeah the defensive talents are pretty strong in this intake, possibly the strongest in a long time. The likes of Norton-Cuffy and Jeffcott at full-back are also ones to watch. That said, we're not short of midfield and attack prospects in this one. Hutchinson, Flores and Edwards are very prolific.

Still waiting on news of Sagoe Jnr. The little I've seen of him, he looks extremely promising. Surprised there's question marks on Sweet.

Would have thought Sweet would be a no-brainer?

Afro Mugo

Would have thought Sweet would be a no-brainer?
I'd be surprised if there are question marks concerning sweet or he's just under the radar like Awe whereby being inactive on social media it's hard to get information about him. He's a really good midfielder and can strike the ball sweetly with both feet. I believe same applies to Charles Sagoe Jr. He's tiny but his touch is clean. Harry Jones joined Swansea and Virginia joined Porto. I want to believe the rest will all have been offered scholarships unless they choose not to sign .

Afro Mugo

Monlouis, Patino, Sweet, Hutchinson and Oyegoke have all played for the unbelievable England 03 team this season as well.

Shows how talented these lads are.
Levi Laing who can play DM CB and RB but suffered from injuries was called up at u16 level. He obviously hasn't played much because of injuries that are common when they have growth spurts at that age and I haven't seen much of him honestly. I just know hes added quotes few inches since the last time I saw him .

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Levi Laing who can play DM CB and RB but suffered from injuries was called up at u16 level. He obviously hasn't played much because of injuries that are common when they have growth spurts at that age and I haven't seen much of him honestly. I just know hes added quotes few inches since the last time I saw him .
Yeah he got hurt quite a bit but he's still a scholar. Could see more of him for the U18s next season.

Impact

Established Member
Goes unnoticed but Matt Smith made the squad for the cup semi-final. Big show of faith by Arteta and should be encouraging to the other Hale End grads.

I like the approach. We are showing there is a pathway for those with talent and the right attitude while also making sure players recognise they have to value each experience and fight for minutes/opportunities.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Goes unnoticed but Matt Smith made the squad for the cup semi-final. Big show of faith by Arteta and should be encouraging to the other Hale End grads.

I like the approach. We are showing there is a pathway for those with talent and the right attitude while also making sure players recognise they have to value each experience and fight for minutes/opportunities.
One of the players I’d offer to Cowley at Huddersfield for next season. Think both Smith and John-Jules would be excellent for them.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
One of the players I’d offer to Cowley at Huddersfield for next season. Think both Smith and John-Jules would be excellent for them.
Not sure if I'd give them TJJ - they've got both Mounie and Campbell upfront already - I'd back him but that's not enough guaranteed minutes for me. I agree though, he'd be a very good fit for them if there was room.

Smith though, I'd definitely give them. He's not terribly physical and that could count against him in the Championship but he's an incredibly smart player and very good in possession - the sloppiness I've seen in Huddersfield's midfielders makes me think he'd be a great addition as they aren't bad but could probably do with someone with a bit of security on the ball who doesn't give it away unnecessarily. That said, I have a feeling that Smith will go to Germany for some reason.

A longshot but maybe Azeez goes there on loan? Maybe Trae Coyle aswell, I think he'd be good in the Championship.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Not sure if I'd give them TJJ - they've got both Mounie and Campbell upfront already - I'd back him but that's not enough guaranteed minutes for me. I agree though, he'd be a very good fit for them if there was room.

Smith though, I'd definitely give them. He's not terribly physical and that could count against him in the Championship but he's an incredibly smart player and very good in possession - the sloppiness I've seen in Huddersfield's midfielders makes me think he'd be a great addition as they aren't bad but could probably do with someone with a bit of security on the ball who doesn't give it away unnecessarily. That said, I have a feeling that Smith will go to Germany for some reason.

A longshot but maybe Azeez goes there on loan? Maybe Trae Coyle aswell, I think he'd be good in the Championship.
Cowley sacked ffs.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Cowley sacked ffs.
Yeah, just saw :lol:. That changes things definitely. I'm intrigued by what the loan situation will look like going into next season though.

Could argue for loans for Willock and Nelson, think ESR could stay as a rotation option. Smith, Coyle, TJJ, Clarke, Medley, Olayinka, Swanson all need loans. I wouldn't even be surprised if they fast-tracked Azeez into a loan early on, although I think that wouldn't be necessary.

oh to be a goon

Btw, who was standing behind Smith in the group photo from last night? I thought it was Harry Clarke at first, but he was almost as tall as Macy. Looked to be about 6-3.

Latest posts

Top Bottom