• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,736
  • Views 1,149,856

Ciscoo

Their take on it:

Interesting. So our contract said you can play him every game and we can still recall him :lol:. Seems we’re pretty confident he’ll get Championship minutes at Coventry. Could easily see us extending the loan into next season if they stay up.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Makes sense. Rotheram really wasn't a great fit but he got valuable minutes fighting in a defensive team. Surprised to see so many say he can't defend, that's arguably one of his stronger points! Doesn't get beaten on duels often, if at all. I think going to a possession team would be far more valuable for him though as that will be more transferrable. More importantly, we need him playing every game - Rotherham were dropping him to the bench at times.

One thing I do hope is that Coventry are a back 4 team - playing Norton-Cuffy wingback is fine but he might be a clunky fit if he starts getting games for Arsenal. He's still our biggest RB prospect IMO (arguably bigger than Walters who is also very good).

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Watching Arsenal u21s v Man City u21s. City are STRONG! Beating us 1-0 currently and look comfy.

EDIT: 2-0. This is the strongest team we've faced at this level. They look like a 1st team side. We haven't lost at u21 level this season which should tell you how strong we are ourselves.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

What going on here ?
Read my post above. I turned it off at 4-0. City are incredible at this level, absurdly good. Team is also much quicker than ours, tore our midfield and CBs to shreds. Complete mismatch. Zach Awe at one point doing 3 jobs in defence as Sousa and Foran were both exploited handily. Smith, Henry-Francis and Bandeira completely overrun.

The attackers with the tiny bit of the ball they got were mildly threatening but not enough to do real damage.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Read my post above. I turned it off at 4-0. City are incredible at this level, absurdly good. Team is also much quicker than ours, tore our midfield and CBs to shreds. Complete mismatch. Zach Awe at one point doing 3 jobs in defence as Sousa and Foran were both exploited handily. Smith, Henry-Francis and Bandeira completely overrun.

The attackers with the tiny bit of the ball they got were mildly threatening but not enough to do real damage.
Not surprised when they buy almost best talent in world and own multi clubs. Just all round runied the fun of football

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka

Smith really needs to be looking for another club. Henry Francis is one of those workman midfielders, simply not talented enough. Did Zane Monlouis play in this game?

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Smith really needs to be looking for another club. Henry Francis is one of those workman midfielders, simply not talented enough. Did Zane Monlouis play in this game?
Came off the bench for Foran who was terrible, poor lad. Can tell Forans a big character but just not quite up to scratch IMO. Awe strangely was quite good even though he was dragged everywhere by how much he had to do. Lino Sousa was poor aswell, the only game of his I've seen where he was bad.

Agree on the midfielders. Complexion of this team is potentially way different with Ibrahim, Lewis-Skelly and Nwaneri in it, by far.

teamsoutheast

Wow, I didn't watch the game but the scoreline suggests we got smoked. We have alot of work to do to catch up with City. They are currently developing solid EFL level players. Taylor Harwood-Bellis, Callum Doyle, James Trafford, Liam Delap, and James Mcatee are doing okay at their loan clubs.

Afro Mugo

I actually think it may be a lesson to the club itself in some of its decision. We prioritise technical ability a lot , over athleticism, rightfully so because that's our DNA and sometimes In youth football when we play some of our inferior athletic talents but solid technicians , and meet an equally good team , we get overrun. It reminds me of that CHO FA Cup final where we lost 5-0.

Geofranco

I actually think it may be a lesson to the club itself in some of its decision. We prioritise technical ability a lot , over athleticism, rightfully so because that's our DNA and sometimes In youth football when we play some of our inferior athletic talents but solid technicians , and meet an equally good team , we get overrun. It reminds me of that CHO FA Cup final where we lost 5-0.
I think in that FA final it was a combination of things. Chelsea were much more experienced and our defense made a lot of silly errors. Especially that 6'5 left footed Chelsea double agent Zech Medley. Our team was pretty young, think Saka was still a schoolboy and came off the bench. Xavier Amaechi and ESR played pretty well. I like the profiles of Nwaneri and Skelly cause they are both athletic, powerful, intelligent and technical.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Hence we spent 40 million on vieira. Our thinking is outdated. A better athlete will beat a better technician as long as the gap in technique is not too big

Afro Mugo

Hence we spent 40 million on vieira. Our thinking is outdated. A better athlete will beat a better technician as long as the gap in technique is not too big
I think it's a bit 50-50 in that previously a lot of smaller technical talents were overlooked in favour of physical more athletic profiles but at some point when they turn 18 and everyone is as big and as strong as you , you have to rely on your technical ability, and it's difficult to learn how to rely on it when you're so used to overpowering your opponents. Its why there was initial skepticism on Saka because he was soo good physically and athletically that even some coaches weren't sure of the extent of his technical ability.

Geofranco

I think it's a bit 50-50 in that previously a lot of smaller technical talents were overlooked in favour of physical more athletic profiles but at some point when they turn 18 and everyone is as big and as strong as you , you have to rely on your technical ability, and it's difficult to learn how to rely on it when you're so used to overpowering your opponents. Its why there was initial skepticism on Saka because he was soo good physically and athletically that even some coaches weren't sure of the extent of his technical ability.
It's a little weird though. Wengers most successful teams had some very physical, powerful and athletic players who were also very good technically. Even Bergkamp was pretty powerful and was agile and quick when he was younger. Obviously it's hard to find that profile but I don't know when Wenger suddenly became obsessed with diminutive technicians who were usually injury prone and could be physically bullied.

Afro Mugo

It's a little weird though. Wengers most successful teams had some very physical, powerful and athletic players who were also very good technically. Even Bergkamp was pretty powerful and was agile and quick when he was younger. Obviously it's hard to find that profile but I don't know when Wenger suddenly became obsessed with diminutive technicians who were usually injury prone and could be physically bullied.
I think it was either after the CL final loss which coincided with the emergence of Spain as the number one team, then later Pep came in and could dominate teams with 11 technicians on the field .

Latest posts+

Top Bottom