• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,774
  • Views 1,157,221

Afro Mugo

For whatever reason he looks so massive when he starts galloping across the pitch riding challenges. Honestly think he has world class potential. Just needs a bit of polish and experience.
Honestly , I really can't wait to see him in the first team. That combination of technique , physique and flair is very rare to find. One of our scouts though has to come clean on how we end up with all these left footed ballers😂. In the year below there's a good player Bless Akolbire whom I think is also left footed.

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
Honestly , I really can't wait to see him in the first team. That combination of technique , physique and flair is very rare to find. One of our scouts though has to come clean on how we end up with all these left footed ballers😂. In the year below there's a good player Bless Akolbire whom I think is also left footed.
Yea it's getting ridiculous now 😂

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
His role on the goal just now - excellent. Magnifique! :lol:

Was just decent before that but he has real game breaking ability. Can tell he's still raw though.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

Just a small window into the greatness of Cozier-Duberry and Lewis-Skelly. There's a lot of Lewis-Skelly clips that won't be seen because clearly the comp makers were sleeping on the job (wish I could have recorded the match myself) but take it from me, he looked like Vieira out there on Tuesday night.

Geofranco

Just a small window into the greatness of Cozier-Duberry and Lewis-Skelly. There's a lot of Lewis-Skelly clips that won't be seen because clearly the comp makers were sleeping on the job (wish I could have recorded the match myself) but take it from me, he looked like Vieira out there on Tuesday night.

Skelly just has that explosive turn of pace that can be scary. Being so young, I can see him getting even more powerful and explosive in the coming years if he takes his strength and conditioning seriously, he has the genetics for it. Hopefully he can grow a bit taller too.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Skelly just has that explosive turn of pace that can be scary. Being so young, I can see him getting even more powerful and explosive in the coming years if he takes his strength and conditioning seriously, he has the genetics for it. Hopefully he can grow a bit taller too.
His heights fine IMO. He looks around 5'9, doesn't look short. Think his build allows him to turn well and he's got good core strength too. A few extra inches on his height seems maybe a little bit greedy! :lol:

I think we need to test him more. More u21 football at least.

Geofranco

His heights fine IMO. He looks around 5'9, doesn't look short. Think his build allows him to turn well and he's got good core strength too. A few extra inches on his height seems maybe a little bit greedy! :lol:

I think we need to test him more. More u21 football at least.
Maybe 2 more inches lol. The last time he played with the U21 team he looked more dominant than Nwaneri. I think he can physically already impose himself at that level. Think he played as a inverted LB in that game, but was still making those powerful runs down the middle. That's basically his signature move. He does it multiple times every single game he plays. I honestly don't think he will struggle a lot with the physicality of even men's football right now. I can see the intensity being tough for him though. Needs to polish some things, especially his touch and distribution.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Maybe 2 more inches lol. The last time he played with the U21 team he looked more dominant than Nwaneri. I think he can physically already impose himself at that level. Think he played as a inverted LB in that game, but was still making those powerful runs down the middle. That's basically his signature move. He does it multiple times every single game he plays. I honestly don't think he will struggle a lot with the physicality of even men's football right now. I can see the intensity being tough for him though. Needs to polish some things, especially his touch and distribution.
I think his distribution is much stronger than his style of play would suggest to be honest. Some of the passes between the lines I've seen him play are very clever and well executed. He's very forward thinking so some of his passes are a little overambitious.

I'm trying not to be hyperbolic but I really see a lot of Vieira in him, especially after the last match I saw. It's like the harder Newcastle battled, the more he liked it. He fought for every ball that came near him, and got clattered quite a few times and ran it off like a warrior. He invited the press like a 6'8 wrestler taunting a plucky babyface and just tuned em up every time he decided to go on a dribble. And he made it look easy. They could really do what they want with Lewis-Skelly, and I really like the idea of making him a 6 aswell. It gives him a lot of responsibility and I think he'll take to it personally. Been disappointed that the youth games have been cancelled recently as I've genuinely been looking forward to seeing him play. He's head and shoulders my favourite prospect.

Geofranco

I think his distribution is much stronger than his style of play would suggest to be honest. Some of the passes between the lines I've seen him play are very clever and well executed. He's very forward thinking so some of his passes are a little overambitious.

I'm trying not to be hyperbolic but I really see a lot of Vieira in him, especially after the last match I saw. It's like the harder Newcastle battled, the more he liked it. He fought for every ball that came near him, and got clattered quite a few times and ran it off like a warrior. He invited the press like a 6'8 wrestler taunting a plucky babyface and just tuned em up every time he decided to go on a dribble. And he made it look easy. They could really do what they want with Lewis-Skelly, and I really like the idea of making him a 6 aswell. It gives him a lot of responsibility and I think he'll take to it personally. Been disappointed that the youth games have been cancelled recently as I've genuinely been looking forward to seeing him play. He's head and shoulders my favourite prospect.
Yea why'd they keep cancelling all the games lol. Is it weather related? I don't live in England, so I don't know how it is over there, but where I live, it feels like spring, perfect weather. It's crazy to see how well Nketiah, Saka, ESR, Willock are all doing coming from that 2015-2017 batch. I actually think in terms of raw talent, Nwaneri and Skelly are above all those guys. I rank Duberry as just as talented as Saka, ESR and Nketiah. Now being talented doesn't mean they will fulfill their potential, but those three have crazy high ceilings. Duberry actually looks better than 17 year old Saka, technically. Saka has actually become so much more technically secure in the last 2 years. His first touch has improved a lot. He is also now one of the best link up players in world football. With the work Arteta and the coaching staff has done to improve Saka and Martinelli, I can't wait to see what they do with Duberry, Skelly and Nwaneri.

teamsoutheast

Player:Ødegaard
This was the transfer deadline day outgoings for our youth/reserves:

yoof.JPG

A few interesting loans there. Good to see Taylor Hart out on loan. He's 20 now and shouldn't really be playing youth football at his age. His potential could be Championship IMO. Nice to see Butler Oyedeji play in the EFL too as he too is 20 so needs to play mens football. Rekik needs to step it up if he wants to be a pro at a high level. He's 21 now and looks like it won't be a long term career at Arsenal. Azeez was looking so promising too but he seems to have stagnated despite his decent loan at Portsmouth. Cirjan and Cottrell could do with loans but they are coming back from long term injury. I think they'll be loaned out next season and eventually moved on unfortunately.

Original source from Jeorge Bird below:

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
This was the transfer deadline day outgoings for our youth/reserves:

View attachment 12939

A few interesting loans there. Good to see Taylor Hart out on loan. He's 20 now and shouldn't really be playing youth football at his age. His potential could be Championship IMO. Nice to see Butler Oyedeji play in the EFL too as he too is 20 so needs to play mens football. Rekik needs to step it up if he wants to be a pro at a high level. He's 21 now and looks like it won't be a long term career at Arsenal. Azeez was looking so promising too but he seems to have stagnated despite his decent loan at Portsmouth. Cirjan and Cottrell could do with loans but they are coming back from long term injury. I think they'll be loaned out next season and eventually moved on unfortunately.

Original source from Jeorge Bird below:

As far as I understand it, Taylor-Hart and Vigar are actually going to be playing for Derby's U21 team rather than the 1st team - which is pretty surprising and seems pointless until you remember that Taylor-Hart has completely lost his place to Charles Sagoe Jr and even Joel Ideho (who I actually don't rate all that much) is ahead of him.

That said, I'm really pleased for Butler-Oyedeji and hope he smashes it at Accrington. He has improved considerably over the last year and deserves this opportunity. It also opens the door to another player that I've been intrigued by: Omari Benjamin. I've been quite impressed by his all-round game and dribbling ability. Think he is in the line of prospects likes Khayon Edwards and Tyreece John-Jules - self-effacing all-round forwards. Edwards is probably the strongest goalscorer of the bunch but Benjamin definitely has skill, back-to-goal play and is still a threat. The player he reminds me of the most is Chuba Akpom, funnily enough.

I feel a little for Cirjan and Cottrell. Two very talented, technical midfielders hurt by injuries and ripe for being usurped by a pretty magical talent at this level in Nwaneri. His blend of power and technique is really too strong to resist. Likes of Bradley Ibrahim, Myles Lewis-Skelly and Mauro Bandeira - all very rounded midfielders in terms of athleticism and technique - changes the shape of the next gen at Hale End. Smith, Cottrell and Cirjan will find it very difficult.

teamsoutheast

Yep the bar has been raised by the younger ones. You really have to be a truly exceptional talent to make it into that first team. I was wondering who from our youth/reserves had the most call ups to first team training to see if we can gauge who is making the most progress. I asked Jeorge Bird and he mentioned Matt Smith which most likely would be the case due to his seniority.

I think he will be moved on to find a new club in the summer as he should be a young pro by now in the EFL at least. He's proven he can hold his own at that level. I was more thinking who from the group of U18's? The only thing we can't see is attitude, professionalism and timekeeping. A player can have all the talent in the world but if he's late for training and doesn't take instructions, then that will most certainly be a consideration taken by the coaches on whether the player progresses.

I agree that Butler Oyedeji has improved. He's surprised me alot this year. Not only has he improved phsyically, but he has also improved technically. Hopefully he has a good loan and established himself in the EFL. I too saw that Vigar and Taylor-Hart were earmarked for Derby U21's. That's worrying for Taylor-Hart as he has the tools but just doesn't seem to dominate enough at youth level. Maybe playing a higher level will give him a reality check and the extra oomph he needs but the fact younger players are ahead of you is not a good sign.

Speaking of Chuba Akpom, he really is setting the championship alight with Middlesbrough. He's firmly become a fans favourite there.

teamsoutheast

I forgot to mention, I like that the club are trying to get more players out on loan. This should have been done a long time ago hence why our squad was soooo bloated at the start of the season. Lot's of players have had loans way too late IMO. Think we need to be more decisive each season on which players you want to send out on loan and which players need more development at youth level. I think we should focus loans more in the EFL/Vananara National then try some abroad if they do well at that level to see how they can adapt to different circumstances/cultures. The players need to learn how to be out their comfort zone. It did Reiss Nelson the world of good going abroad and having to adapt to a new culture, language etc. Not sure what happened with Azeez coz he did quite well at Portsmouth but things didn't work out at Ibiza which is concerning.

Afro Mugo

I forgot to mention, I like that the club are trying to get more players out on loan. This should have been done a long time ago hence why our squad was soooo bloated at the start of the season. Lot's of players have had loans way too late IMO. Think we need to be more decisive each season on which players you want to send out on loan and which players need more development at youth level. I think we should focus loans more in the EFL/Vananara National then try some abroad if they do well at that level to see how they can adapt to different circumstances/cultures. The players need to learn how to be out their comfort zone. It did Reiss Nelson the world of good going abroad and having to adapt to a new culture, language etc. Not sure what happened with Azeez coz he did quite well at Portsmouth but things didn't work out at Ibiza which is concerning.
I actually think the squad was bloated because Knapper/Mertesacker preferred some to stay with u23s than get a bad loan.Loans are very 50/50 and sometimes lower level/abroad loans dont work out for all players at certain times; Azeez and Rekik best reference point, who both have suffered from unstable teams and management change. For some players eg BNC who already had developed physically backed up with good technique, league one at his age was a perfect opportunity for him. The manager could trust him not to be bullied at that level. Then you have ACD whom due to his size, it may not be as easy to go to a level where physique is prioritized over other abilities. I think Ogungbo also struggled because he was more technical than he is physical and for a LB/CB at league two , he needs/needed to be more physically imposing. Foran might fare better than him at that level.
I think it was Wenger who once commented, in the case of Wilshere playing for England u21s, that sometimes players playing with inferior talent/players/lower level can inhibit them. They dont perform at their normal levels and then they easily lose confidence/doubt their level. Its also why I'm highly impressed by Patino. He's basically playing Brexit ball which has inhibited his normal playing style and his passing stats are bad but he's being trusted by two managers in a relegation fight because of his workrate and mentality on the pitch.
Personally, I think the club has really managed the players well considering that u23s/u18s normally have more injuries because their bodies are still growing. They ensured the u23s participate in all available competitions which has ensured all players get a good amount of game time. For example; I'd rather Cozier Duberry remains for the rest of the season and continues shining for u23s and get a good championship loan than playing at league one just for the sake of loaning him out. We know for some, like Ideho and Lewis, they are more of squad fillers and have no future here. Cottrell and Smith are on their final six months, and as a club, we have a role to give them game time to ensure they get a club next season and further their professional career. Myles and Ethan, despite being physical beasts, they are still 15/16 and their load needs to be managed carefully. The club cannot make them play u21s week in week out.

Geofranco

Azeez has a sex addiction like mesut. The man was always drained by match day

Top Bottom