• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,771
  • Views 1,156,049

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
I think JET would make a very good long-term centre forward for us. Amazing physical attributes combined with a good touch and imaginative passing, and his goalscoring credentials speak for themselves.

Chass

After his recent impressive performances, do you guys think a premiership loan in Jan would be appropriate or too soon for JET?

KY

Established Member
Can anyone tell me a bit more about lansbury? It seems he's been around forever but I don't seem to know much about his game. He's been deployed as both attacking and defensive midfielder but what are his strongest traits? What does he do best and how will he fit into our system? I still can't seem to fiure it out after all this time... Does he even have a future here or is he the next Bentley?

M+D

Established Member
Just watching the reserves highlights from yesterday.

JET's first goal was fantastic, brilliantly hit curler into the far corner from the edge of the box.

Then a lovely flick by JET to play in Barazite who couldn't miss for 2-0.

For the 3rd JET beat his man with ease, found Barazite whose first time pass gave Aneke the chance. Keeper saved the first attempt but Aneke made no mistake second time round.

JET then found Aneke on the left side of the box and the 17 year old curled a lovely effort into the bottom corner to make it four.

For the final goal JET was found by Barazite and he swivelled in the box and found the bottom corner.

5 great goals, JET was in a completely different league by the looks of it.

The new ATVO commentator on youth and reserve games is shockingly bad btw. Calling Afobe "Afeebe" and in the Academy game was calling I think it was Phil Roberts (a slight figure playing on the wing mostly it seemed) Nigel Neita (who is a powerful centre forward built like a tank).

Don Pacifico

Established Member
Yeah, in those highlights JET looked superb, far too good for the reserves. Aneke looked pretty handy too but I wonder if he'll suffer the same problem that JET does (ie. what position to play him in).

Strange that Barazite is languishing in the reserves. Shows promise at that level but seemingly unable to translate that into professional success.

Noticed too that Eastmond gave the ball away easily a few times even in that short compilation which is a bit worrying given how close he is to a first-team place; indicative really that we need greater competition in that position.

Overall, some very good attacking play; the move which ended in Barazite skying it was superb and reminiscent of the 'old' Arsenal, attacking with movement and pace (wish the first team would do that more often).

ricky1985

Established Member
JET looks like he's outgrown reserve football now. Either needs some games here, or a move to a club where he can get some. Preferably at Premier League level.

Every time I see Chuks Aneke play I think he can't fail to become great player. His technique and awareness is so good at times, don't often see that in someone who's 6'3" and so athletically built. Him and JET seem to have a great relationship both on and off the pitch too.

M+D

Established Member
I think the thing with Aneke is that he's basically always played as the furthest forward of the midfield 3 at U18 level and now the reserves - that's his position.

He couldn't play out wide because he lacks the pace and athleticism and he couldn't play up front because he doesn't put himself about enough and again lacks mobility. He's simply very intelligent in finding space, has a great passing range and is technically exceptional. A No. 10 or nothing in many ways.

Unlike JET of course who played in every single outfield position bar right back for the U18s...

ricky1985

Established Member
I always thought he was played as a central midfielder, and occasionally slightly further ahead/further back during his days in the youth team?

M+D

Established Member
Well we mimick the 1st team's approach so it also depends how you interpret that I guess.

Trying to avoid going all Anzac :wink: but say this is the most accurate reflection of the forwards and midfielders from last seasons first team:

--------------- Song -----------------
----------------------- Diaby -------
-------- Fabregas --------------------

Three fairly distinct roles, Song the deepest, Diaby (or Denilson) slightly further forward and Cesc almost playing off the striker at times.

For the U18s replace Song with Yennaris, Denilson with Henderson and Aneke playing where Cesc did, off Afobe.

This season we seem to have changed that slightly and it reflects in the reserves with Randall from the highlights seeming to play more withdrawn (Wilshere in 1st team so far) with Eastmond (and Edge and Webb in the U18s etc) but either way it is Aneke who ends up as furthest forward behind the striker and the two wider forwards.

ricky1985

Established Member
Interesting, M+D. I'm wondering if Aneke has the capacity, in the future, to play as one of the deeper midfielders in our system, or in other words a box-to-box, regular central midfielder? With his height and build it would be a real bonus. His real strengths obviously lie in his passing and awareness, but I remember when he first burst through his defensive instincts/tackling ability impressed me too.

The thing is with a lot these kids is that they are smart players who have been well taught in a wide range of skills, so until they fully develop it's hard to pigeon-hole them as one thing or the other.

M+D

Established Member
ws04.jpg

Wellington Silva with the two players he says have helped him adapt to England the most so far.

Don't worry, he's short but he isn't quite as small as the photo suggests, both Ignasi Miquel and Emi Martinez are at least 6'4" I'd say.

outlaw_member

Established Member
His ability to settle into the English lifestyle will play the biggest factor in how he develops. South American's have generally struggled in England, and his brief time here over the summer will have most definitely eased him in.

M+D

Established Member
James Shea training with England this morning, great experience for him.

ricky1985

Established Member
I saw that earlier. great experience for the kid.

The YoungGuns blog reporting we're poised to sign Ryo Miyaichi.

YoungGunsBlog: Miyaichi is a 17 year old winger who was on trial earlier in the summer. He went to Ajax but the Dutch media reported that he suffered a broken leg. Reports doing the rounds today that Arsenal are poised to sign him.

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
Why did we sell Barazite to Vitesse? Bit tempting fate to 'give' him to a club tied to Chelski's Russian.

source: Dutch equivalent of the BBC

entropy13

Established Member
clockwork orange said:
Why did we sell Barazite to Vitesse? Bit tempting fate to 'give' him to a club tied to Chelski's Russian.

source: Dutch equivalent of the BBC

Isn't it just a loan?

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
Nope, not according to my source. They say he had already agreed terms with another Dutch club Heracles Almelo, but at the last moment opted for Vitesse Arnhem, who have a new sugardaddy from 1 of the former Soviet republics (that sugardaddy is supposed to be a henchman of the Russian).

M+D

Established Member
Didn't realise it was permanent Clockwork, every report I saw was pretty ambiguous. I thought it seemed to have mainly started on NOS and on their website I couldn't see any mention of it being a transfer and not a loan.

Then again his contract does run out next summer I think.

Latest posts

Top Bottom