• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,736
  • Views 1,149,954

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

First Musah and now Balogun. I feel ****ing sick and yet it was obvious this would happen.

Hope we sell abroad and have first refusal.

Afro Mugo

Sell nketiah
It's sad that Balogun is leaving but a little context to his departure. He shares an agent with Nketiah Saka Sancho and the likes so I'm not surprised. While Balogun has been prolific , there need not to be disrespect to the strikers ahead of him. Balogun scored 39 goals in 46 games with 32 of those as a 17 year old second year scholar. Eddie scored 42 goals in 48 appearances ; 30 of those as a 16 year old first year scholar. His scored 12 goals in 28 u23 appearances before his 19 th birthday. Eddie scored 18 in 27 appearances before his 19th birthday. Eddie scored a further 2 goals against Norwich . When Balogun was scoring for fun with the u18s , TJJ was with the u23s despite the fact they are in the same age group. TJJ has played 42 u23 games and scored 18 goals before his 19th birthday and scored 17 goals in 25 u18 games. TJJ is also picked ahead of him in the national team. We are in a moment where we are producing forwards at an insane rate. Greenwood and Khayon Edwards are behind them. There is too much competition ahead of him and the player knows that. TJJ has just recently signed a 5 year contract and there is Gabriel Martinelli. Its a credit to the clubs youth syystem we are in this position. All we hope we get a decent fee and benefit later from the clauses if he turns out to be a superstar.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
It sticks in the craw that now we finally have an academy producing really exciting talent, they get to a certain level and start holding out on the club and making demands. Saka stringing us along (hopefully just for more cash!), Gnabry drawing things out then forcing a move to Bayern feeder club (a bit different as he didn't start here obviously), and now this.

The frustrating thing about this is that it's entirely possible our first choice strikers might not be here in three months and suddenly there is a major pathway. Hope if he does go, it is to Brentford, because he would kill it for them I think - a really good stylistic fit.

Sell on / buy back clauses are a must. Don't know if this guy is as driven as Nketiah, but he has more natural talent.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
It's sad that Balogun is leaving but a little context to his departure. He shares an agent with Nketiah Saka Sancho and the likes so I'm not surprised. While Balogun has been prolific , there need not to be disrespect to the strikers ahead of him. Balogun scored 39 goals in 46 games with 32 of those as a 17 year old second year scholar. Eddie scored 42 goals in 48 appearances ; 30 of those as a 16 year old first year scholar. His scored 12 goals in 28 u23 appearances before his 19 th birthday. Eddie scored 18 in 27 appearances before his 19th birthday. Eddie scored a further 2 goals against Norwich . When Balogun was scoring for fun with the u18s , TJJ was with the u23s despite the fact they are in the same age group. TJJ has played 42 u23 games and scored 18 goals before his 19th birthday and scored 17 goals in 25 u18 games. TJJ is also picked ahead of him in the national team. We are in a moment where we are producing forwards at an insane rate. Greenwood and Khayon Edwards are behind them. There is too much competition ahead of him and the player knows that. TJJ has just recently signed a 5 year contract and there is Gabriel Martinelli. Its a credit to the clubs youth syystem we are in this position. All we hope we get a decent fee and benefit later from the clauses if he turns out to be a superstar.
Exactly what I would have said.

People definitely need to put some respect on Nketiah's name, he's far too disrespected despite his achievements so far for Arsenal. Balogun I feel will have a great career and he's a huge talent IMO but he's not the only talented young striker at the club. It's just bad timing IMO. We should get a sell-on IMO - I think a buyback is fanciful but unlikely.

Impact

Established Member
Losing top prospects is part and parcel of having a quality Academy. If your Academy is filled with talent, you will inevitably have difficult decisions to make on players in and around the same age.

As long as we do not lose players because we block their pathway with lacklustre seniors, there isn't much you can do. We currently have two very good (and high-performing) prospects in the first team with Martinelli and Nketiah.

It also looks like we have prioritised John-Jules over Balogun. Let's hope the club have made the right decision. If I recall correctly, there was an uproar when Amaechi was looking to leave with many complaining that he was a superior talent to Saka. Look at how that has turned out. Let's hope we have a similar situation here.

And if not, let's make sure we negotiate a sale well enough to ensure solid financial returns if Balogun reaches his evident potential.

Last edited:

Impact

Established Member
Interested to know who people think will be formally promoted to first-team squad next season (if any).

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Losing top prospects is part and parcel of having a quality Academy. If your Academy is filled with talent, you will inevitably have difficult decisions to make on players in and around the same age.

As long as we do not lose players because we block their pathway with lacklustre seniors, there isn't much you can do. We currently have two very good (and high-performing) prospects in the first team with Martinelli and Nketiah.

It also looks like we have prioritised John-Jules over Balogun. Let's hope the club have made the right decision. If I recall correctly, there was an uproar when Amaechi was looking to leave with many complaining that he was a superior talent to Saka. Look at how that has turned out. Let's hope we have a similar situation here.

And if not, let's make sure we negotiate a sale well enough to ensure solid financial returns if he reaches his evident potential.
I was one of those with stock in Amaechi but by that point, Saka had already built up a steady portfolio in the time Amaechi was injured. It was a loss we absorbed - and as it turned out, he made a wrong move and now faces a year missing in his development.

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka

And if not, let's make sure we negotiate a sale well enough to ensure solid financial returns if Balogun reaches his evident potential.

Yea I remember the whole Amaechi saga. I think people just loved how explosive Amaechi looked.

He reminded me of Oxlade Chamberlain in a lot of ways. Both very powerful and explosive athletes, with direct play-styles.

Amaechi looked the part of what you would expect a talented young winger to look like. Saka on the other hand was quick, but not as explosive.

But Saka always had a lot of guile to his play. You could just tell that he understand how to play the game and wasn't just a talented player killing it on youth teams. People always miss out on the nuance and go for the shiny thing.

I think Amaechi still has a lot of promise, but I can see his career going in the trajectory of a Chamberlain, both with injuries and general frustrations of having a lasting impact on games.

Afro Mugo

Balogun and Nketiah are similar level. Although I think Balogun is more explosive athlete with better dribbling. Nketiah was a little more clinical in the youth ranks. Nketiah, Jules and Balogun are all decent talents, but none have world class potential.
I would argue that not even Ajax constantly produces world class players every 3 years and if they go on to play Premier League at Arsenal as squad players or at other clubs, that is still a success. It's hard playing at the elite level. It's really really hard.

Afro Mugo

Exactly what I would have said.

People definitely need to put some respect on Nketiah's name, he's far too disrespected despite his achievements so far for Arsenal. Balogun I feel will have a great career and he's a huge talent IMO but he's not the only talented young striker at the club. It's just bad timing IMO. We should get a sell-on IMO - I think a buyback is fanciful but unlikely.
Eddie is disrespected because many don't follow youth football and rely on the two minute compilations to form their judgement. Eddie wasn't as physically gifted as TJJ and Balogun are at their age but he still could hold up play against bigger defenders, and he is also very fast with good technique. That pass he gave to Pepe isn't by luck. Most of his goals are from inside the box so everyone pictures Chicharito in their head not even giving credit for the fact all of his arsenal youth goals were from open play. Malen, Mavididi, Willock and Smith Rowe used to take the penalties. Goal scoring is an ability by itself. Goals win games and Eddie has proved he can do that at all levels he has played sth the latter two haven't yet. I always remember Chelsea's situation with Abraham-97 Solanke-97 and Ike Ugbo-98 and Taylor-Crossdale-99. Igbo was the top scorer u18s a season after Eddie . I think he scored 30 goals. He struggled in the championship and is currently finding his way in dutch league. The latter two who are the reason Nketiah was released as they were physically more gifted and probably lesser capable goalscorers. Eddie infact surprisingly played in midfield because of the latter two size and he was tiny but he still somehow scored goals as Willock alluded when Arsenal coaches inquired about Eddie.
Balogun is blessed with incredible physical qualities and proven that he's a capable goalscorer and he will have an incredible career if all falls into place but nothing is assured right now.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
Who in the academy right now or from the Hale End quintet has the best in these attributes?
Dribbling
Touch
Ball striking
IQ
Passing
Vision

I want to see if everyone is on the same page.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Who in the academy right now or from the Hale End quintet has the best in these attributes?
Dribbling
Touch
Ball striking
IQ
Passing
Vision

I want to see if everyone is on the same page.
Omari Hutchinson

Cirjan, Cottrell, Matt Smith, Coyle, John Jules

Last edited:

Afro Mugo

Dribbling
Touch
Ball striking
IQ
Passing
Vision

Its hard to pick out one who I can say is the best at all of these as lots of them are very technical having come from the academy of course. A lot of u18s are getting scholars whom I've not seen enough of so I'll do 3 for each attribute from whom I've watched excluding all incoming scholars including Patino.
Dribbling - Kido Taylor Hart, Butler-Oyedeji, Greenwood
Touch- Azeez, Coyle, Taylor-Hart
Ball striking- TJJ, Balogun, Greenwood
IQ- Smith, TJJ, Balogun
Passing- Smith, Azeez, Cottrell
Vision- Smith, Azeez, Cottrell

Aevi

Hale End FC
Absolutely mad how involved our recent Hale End crop have been in the team recently. Saka, AMN, Willock, Nketiah, Nelson... and then Smith Rowe is still out on loan.

It's an incredible achievement.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Absolutely mad how involved our recent Hale End crop have been in the team recently. Saka, AMN, Willock, Nketiah, Nelson... and then Smith Rowe is still out on loan.

It's an incredible achievement.
It's even crazier when you consider the ones yet to come. They have great ability and even more incentive to work hard for an opportunity knowing there is a pathway.

Top Bottom