• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,736
  • Views 1,149,831

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
If and I mean if the worse case scenario we are unable to bring in an attacking midfielder in this window. Would Cirjan be ready to play first team football this season?

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
Back when they were all in the U23, I have posted that: If there is one player making the first team, it would be Saka. And I said Saka is the best out of Amaechi, Nelson and Saka. I always think that saka is the most skillful one. Never understand what is so skillful about Nelson.
Who are the youngsters you rate? You have high high standards.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Is he actually left-footed?
Yep. Big and strong too. He's normally a CB but Jeorge Bird interestingly posted under that tweet that he thinks he's marginally better at LB and in the little I've seen of him I actually agree. I think the likes of Monlouis, Awe and Foran are arguably more suited, while Ogungbo's aggressive style seemingly works at LB. Could be a similar situation to Tolaji Bola's initial move to LB - although one would hope his ceiling is higher.

If and I mean if the worse case scenario we are unable to bring in an attacking midfielder in this window. Would Cirjan be ready to play first team football this season?
Honestly, I doubt it. Cirjan is certainly technically capable and has played against much older opponents before - that said, it would arguably be a bridge too far for him to compete in first team football this early in his development. Especially not when the man he will back-up is ESR, still in the fledgeling stage of his own career. That's definitely a worst case scenario IMO, especially with someone like Arteta who'd be extremely reluctant to use him.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Who are the youngsters you rate? You have high high standards.
Saka is good but he is still not odoi/sancho level.
The previous batch of young players are not technical enough. Nketiah and Willock especially are very poor players and I have been saying this for years.
The upcoming ones like cirjan/smith/Lewis/cottrell/coyle/John jules/omari/salah/flores/patino... they are much more technical and skilful, they are a lot more talented.

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
The previous batch of young players are not technical enough. Nketiah and Willock especially are very poor players and I have been saying this for years.
The upcoming ones like cirjan/smith/Lewis/cottrell/coyle/John jules/omari/salah/flores/patino... they are much more technical and skilful, they are a lot more talented.

Of all the players you listed, only Patino and maybe Hutchinson have a realistic chance of making it here. I would say Nelson at U18 and U23 looked more talented than any of them too. Saka is also a better player than Odoi. Just cause one has more flair on the ball does not mean he is more effective. I would say Sancho and Foden are a more talented technicians than Saka, but he can close the gap if he develops into more of a goal threat in the future.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Of all the players you listed, only Patino and maybe Hutchinson have a realistic chance of making it here. I would say Nelson at U18 and U23 looked more talented than any of them too. Saka is also a better player than Odoi. Just cause one has more flair on the ball does not mean he is more effective. I would say Sancho and Foden are a more talented technicians than Saka, but he can close the gap if he develops into more of a goal threat in the future.
I’m not saying they would definitely make it here. But they are more talented and much better than the previous batch. Again, I never rated nelson in the u23 and don’t get why he is called tricky/skillful.

Last edited:

Geofranco

I’m not saying they would definitely make it here. But they are more talented and much better than the previous batch players. Again, I never rated nelson in the u23 and don’t get why he is called tricky/skillful.

How are they more talented? The group with Nelson, Willock and Nketiah thoroughly dominated U23 football.

Not just by being bigger and stronger either, they simply were more technical and made quicker decisions.

I never rated Nketiah and have been watching him since 2015. He was always clinical, but didn't have the touch, passing or shooting technique to be a forward worthy of playing for Arsenal.

It seems like you didn't watch Nelson aged 14-17. He was a monster! He was fast, agile with ridiculous close control, touch and dribbling.

He could glide past players like they were standing in quicksand. He had great link up and combo interplay, made it look slick.

He had all the attributes you look for in a young Arsenal prospect, only weakness was heading ability and hold up play which are not necessary in the position he was playing. Nelson wasn't just highly rated by Arsenal, but by England. I would admit that as he got a bit older he started looking a bit stiff in his movement which worried me a bit.

My favorite from that group was actually Chris Willock. He was a terrible shooter, but such grace on the ball. He gave me Nasri vibes.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Back when they were all in the U23, I have posted that: If there is one player making the first team, it would be Saka. And I said Saka is the best out of Amaechi, Nelson and Saka. I always think that saka is the most skillful one. Never understand what is so skillful about Nelson.
They were in completely different age groups. Nelson was peeing all over u23 football before Saka had played fore u18s. So comparing the two is already hindsight compared to what I'm talking about.

Also, your concept of skill, as evidenced in multiple threads, is a very singular one

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
How are they more talented? The group with Nelson, Willock and Nketiah thoroughly dominated U23 football.

Not just by being bigger and stronger either, they simply were more technical and made quicker decisions.

I never rated Nketiah and have been watching him since 2015. He was always clinical, but didn't have the touch, passing or shooting technique to be a forward worthy of playing for Arsenal.

It seems like you didn't watch Nelson aged 14-17. He was a monster! He was fast, agile with ridiculous close control, touch and dribbling.

He could glide past players like they were standing in quicksand. He had great link up and combo interplay, made it look slick.

He had all the attributes you look for in a young Arsenal prospect, only weakness was heading ability and hold up play which are not necessary in the position he was playing. Nelson wasn't just highly rated by Arsenal, but by England. I would admit that as he got a bit older he started looking a bit stiff in his movement which worried me a bit.

My favorite from that group was actually Chris Willock. He was a terrible shooter, but such grace on the ball. He gave me Nasri vibes.
Chris Willock was a prime example of the type of players that people like the poster you quoted tend to rate just because "skills" that don't amount to anything substantial. Chris was supremely talented when it came to technical ability (Joe used to be too until his growth spurt) yet when it came to substance he was often found wanting. Nelson had style and substance up until whatever happened in Germany.

I really rated Chris Willock aswell, he was such an excellent prospect but it just never happened for him because he never had real conviction when it mattered even in lesser games. Always felt like there was more he could do. I hope his stint in the Championship will help to elevate him again. It appears the same fate is befalling Nelson aswell, which I never thought would happen. A mate of mine said we should look into signing Jayden Braaf - with Taylor-Hart also in the balance, it might be a shout.

Geofranco

Chris Willock was a prime example of the type of players that people like the poster you quoted tend to rate just because "skills" that don't amount to anything substantial. Chris was supremely talented when it came to technical ability (Joe used to be too until his growth spurt) yet when it came to substance he was often found wanting. Nelson had style and substance up until whatever happened in Germany.

I really rated Chris Willock aswell, he was such an excellent prospect but it just never happened for him because he never had real conviction when it mattered even in lesser games. Always felt like there was more he could do. I hope his stint in the Championship will help to elevate him again. It appears the same fate is befalling Nelson aswell, which I never thought would happen. A mate of mine said we should look into signing Jayden Braaf - with Taylor-Hart also in the balance, it might be a shout.

I wonder what the club wants to do with Charles Sagoe. He looks very talented from what I have seen, but he is so small. Not just his height, but his frame. I really hope he has a growth spurt and fills out his body a bit without losing his agility and ball control. I really don't understand the Taylor-Hart situation. Is it the club not wanting to sign him to a contract or is it Hart and his team not wanting to commit...

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I wonder what the club wants to do with Charles Sagoe. He looks very talented from what I have seen, but he is so small. Not just his height, but his frame. I really hope he has a growth spurt and fills out his body a bit without losing his agility and ball control. I really don't understand the Taylor-Hart situation. Is it the club not wanting to sign him to a contract or is it Hart and his team not wanting to commit...
Maybe a combo of both re Taylor-Hart. They seem to rate him highly enough but most of his age group haven't got pro deals yet interestingly (Oyegoke is another name that hasn't got a pro deal). Only Azeez and Cirjan are pros that I know of from that intake.

Have yet to even see Charles Sagoe get a game for the U18s so I don't know what they're gonna do with him. It would be nice to see him get a chance, he looks a really talented dribbler with excellent agility and acceleration.

Vanfrothan

They usually come from nowhere though don't they so I reckon it will be a fullback, probably a RB.

More chance of breaking in there as we don't have anyone outstanding in that position. I'm a fan of Bellerin but you look at Tierney on the other side and there's a clear gulf there.

Norton-Cuffy has caught the eye lately.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Saka and ESR have got me excited about our academy. Who's next?
Miguel Azeez is the next jewel and is most likely to make inroads into the team in the near future. The others - while very talented - have their work cut out.

Azeez is the perfect modern central midfielder, combining good athleticism with a very high technical level. He's a capable duel winner and specializes in progressing play both with passing and dribbling. He has a good shot on him but by far and away his passing is his most useful weapon. He's similar to Guendouzi in terms of his overall playstyle but not only is he a fair bit quicker, but also a very different personality - more composed, a bit languid and tends to make decisions quicker (i.e. doesn't make a habit of getting caught faffing around in his own area like Guendouzi often was :lol:).

There are other big talents - some of whom are most likely leaving. Balogun is a huge talent who's foot is out the door. I'm a big fan of Kido Taylor-Hart - very similar to Nelson but with a more athletic and powerful build. However, he is also a possible departure from the club.

The most notable ones outside of the aforementioned are also midfielders. Catalin Cirjan is an exciting technical midfielder who can play as a #10 or out wide. Really excellent close control and an aggressive attacker with an eye for goal. Then there are the loanees - the 2 CBs Daniel Ballard and Mark McGuinness are two underdog talents. Both tall, dominant ball-playing CBs who can play on the front foot and win a lot of duels. Matt Smith is another underdog in CM - great technical talent who can play some mouthwatering through balls.

There are also a whole batch of 1st year scholars who have opportunities to make it but they're a little far away currently. Of those scholars, these are the names that stick out:

Omari Hutchinson (pro) - AM/RW/LW/LB*
Charlie Patino (pro) - CM
Marcelo Flores (pro) - AM/RW/LW
Brooke Norton-Cuffy (pro) - RB
Zach Awe - CB/DM
Zane Monlouis (pro) - CB/LB/RB
Khayon Edwards - CF
Mauro Bandeira - CM/DM
Ovie Ejeheri - GK

say yes

forum master baiter
Miguel Azeez is the next jewel and is most likely to make inroads into the team in the near future. The others - while very talented - have their work cut out.

Azeez is the perfect modern central midfielder, combining good athleticism with a very high technical level. He's a capable duel winner and specializes in progressing play both with passing and dribbling. He has a good shot on him but by far and away his passing is his most useful weapon. He's similar to Guendouzi in terms of his overall playstyle but not only is he a fair bit quicker, but also a very different personality - more composed, a bit languid and tends to make decisions quicker (i.e. doesn't make a habit of getting caught faffing around in his own area like Guendouzi often was :lol:).

There are other big talents - some of whom are most likely leaving. Balogun is a huge talent who's foot is out the door. I'm a big fan of Kido Taylor-Hart - very similar to Nelson but with a more athletic and powerful build. However, he is also a possible departure from the club.

The most notable ones outside of the aforementioned are also midfielders. Catalin Cirjan is an exciting technical midfielder who can play as a #10 or out wide. Really excellent close control and an aggressive attacker with an eye for goal. Then there are the loanees - the 2 CBs Daniel Ballard and Mark McGuinness are two underdog talents. Both tall, dominant ball-playing CBs who can play on the front foot and win a lot of duels. Matt Smith is another underdog in CM - great technical talent who can play some mouthwatering through balls.

There are also a whole batch of 1st year scholars who have opportunities to make it but they're a little far away currently. Of those scholars, these are the names that stick out:

Omari Hutchinson (pro) - AM/RW/LW/LB*
Charlie Patino (pro) - CM
Marcelo Flores (pro) - AM/RW/LW
Brooke Norton-Cuffy (pro) - RB
Zach Awe - CB/DM
Zane Monlouis (pro) - CB/LB/RB
Khayon Edwards - CF
Mauro Bandeira - CM/DM
Ovie Ejeheri - GK

Amazing insight as ever, cheers mate.

I see no mention of John Jules? Oversight on your part or has he dropped off? I remember you preferred him to Balogun, which was consoling me slightly.

And are you still high on Willock? I love his drive and third man runs but he doesn't look like making it here to me.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
After seeing Partey boss it tonight, I was thinking about how good Azeez would look alongside him in there. He must be next.

So much potential there.

Mouthwatering.
The funny thing is, Partey and Azeez are both quite similar, both good all-round midfielders, so their pairing would be interesting to say the least. I would like to see it though, I have a feeling that they'd really complement each other because Azeez at the moment plays his best football as an #8.

They usually come from nowhere though don't they so I reckon it will be a fullback, probably a RB.

More chance of breaking in there as we don't have anyone outstanding in that position. I'm a fan of Bellerin but you look at Tierney on the other side and there's a clear gulf there.

Norton-Cuffy has caught the eye lately.
LB is a real issue at the club and has been for a while. We don't have any notable talent that specifically play LB - more often than not it's a rotation of players. Joel Lopez is the only one that specifically plays in that spot and he's only just come back from injury. Alebiosu is a RB (formerly RW) who's filled in pretty well. The other person that I could think of is Mazeed Ogungbo.

Of course they've also tried Omari Hutchinson there for the U18s, and if anyone who's seen his old F2 videos will know, it's a position he knows quite well - but every other time he's been exclusively used in a #10 role.

Norton-Cuffy has definitely made huge progress though. He wasn't even starting for the U18s at the beginning of the season - then Oyegoke's injury opened the door for him in the U23s and he's really made that position his own.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Amazing insight as ever, cheers mate.

I see no mention of John Jules? Oversight on your part or has he dropped off? I remember you preferred him to Balogun, which was consoling me slightly.

And are you still high on Willock? I love his drive and third man runs but he doesn't look like making it here to me.
John-Jules is very talented but a combination of injuries and competition will make his progression difficult. I do believe that out of the young CFs at the club he is the most complete. He has the technique, the athleticism, the work-rate and the creativity to play the modern #9 role to a tee. The bigger issue outside of the injuries are the fact that he hasn't really proven to be clinical at this level and certainly didn't score as many goals as new fan favourite Folarin Balogun, nor old fan favourite and new villain Eddie Nketiah. His record arguably more comparable with Chuba Akpom and Stephy Mavididi, both of him were also more rounded CFs for the youth team. I don't think that'll be a big problem as he can shoot well and has scored some really spectacular finishes in his very short career, so that potential is definitely there.

RE Willock, I think he'll have difficulty making it mainly because the younger midfielders behind him have a much more co-ordinated game than he currently does. We know what Azeez is, as with Cottrell, Cirjan, Smith and even Akinola (aka budget Coquelin). Do we know what the current iteration of Joe Willock is? He feels like a bit of a blank slate and often plays behind the game rather than ahead of it. Ideally he'd go on a season long loan and start a good 30 odd matches with a nice, defined role. I just don't see that happening at Arsenal currently. I wouldn't be surprised with a sale. I think all 3 of Joe Willock, Eddie Nketiah and Reiss Nelson are in danger.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
If you think Saka is not at Odoi's level, I'm not convinced you understand football. Odoi has a higher physical ceiling, but is terribly one footed, and while decent at crossing, is a mediocre passer.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom