• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,736
  • Views 1,149,876

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
With both Aubameyang and Pepe at the AFCON in Jan/Feb there will be opportunities on the flanks. (wink, wink Reiss KTH).
I have to be honest - I hold out little hope of Reiss actually doing anything substantial in an Arsenal shirt to be honest. The mismanagement and lack of conviction on Reiss' part has caused serious damage to his potential here at the club. His last shot is going on loan tbh.

With Taylor-Hart however, we have a chance to at least correct that mistake that we made with Reiss and pull the trigger on him. No bullshit cameos, no RWB nonsense, but solid commitment to giving him opportunities if we're serious about blooding young players. And if we're not gonna do that - and let's face it, even with AFCON coming up, I doubt Arteta will want to put them in the pressure cooker that is the PL - then we might as well loan Taylor-Hart out aswell.

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
I have to be honest - I hold out little hope of Reiss actually doing anything substantial in an Arsenal shirt to be honest. The mismanagement and lack of conviction on Reiss' part has caused serious damage to his potential here at the club. His last shot is going on loan tbh.

With Taylor-Hart however, we have a chance to at least correct that mistake that we made with Reiss and pull the trigger on him. No bullshit cameos, no RWB nonsense, but solid commitment to giving him opportunities if we're serious about blooding young players. And if we're not gonna do that - and let's face it, even with AFCON coming up, I doubt Arteta will want to put them in the pressure cooker that is the PL - then we might as well loan Taylor-Hart out aswell.

Really don't know what Wenger was thinking with the RWB stuff lol. Reiss was the last player you wanted to do all that with. He was a true wengerball disciple with explosive ability to be a gamechanger in attack unlike some of the other more technical players who usually don't have that killer instinct in the final third.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Really don't know what Wenger was thinking with the RWB stuff lol. Reiss was the last player you wanted to do all that with. He was a true wengerball disciple with explosive ability to be a gamechanger in attack unlike some of the other more technical players who usually don't have that killer instinct in the final third.
He didn't want to drop Walcott and Iwobi. Needed to find a way to fit him in.

teamsoutheast

He didn't want to drop Walcott and Iwobi. Needed to find a way to fit him in.

I think it was more to develop his defensive awareness. He could learn alot from Saka in this respect. Saka was willing to play anywhere he was asked to help the team. Nelson didn't do this and he's paying for it now. He needs to be able to defend and work hard in this team like Saka and ESR. That's the minimum required in this Arsenal team. Once his attitude/mentality is right then he'll have a chance.

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
I think it was more to develop his defensive awareness. He could learn alot from Saka in this respect. Saka was willing to play anywhere he was asked to help the team. Nelson didn't do this and he's paying for it now. He needs to be able to defend and work hard in this team like Saka and ESR. That's the minimum required in this Arsenal team. Once his attitude/mentality is right then he'll have a chance.

Nelson is not really like Saka or ESR. His game was all about technique, acceleration and end product. You don't really want him doing too much running trying to defend. He is the type of talent you build the team around to bring the best out of him. Unless Wenger did not see him as that talented or gifted, there was no excuse to play him as a RWB. He never played there at any point in his development. At least Saka had played as a LB for England in the youth ranks. Nelson was always the most talented attacking prospect and would play LW, RW or even as a 10.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?

I'll be honest, I don't think there is even a 1% chance that Kido could make it here, probably will never even get a chance. That prediction is not made based on his talent, it's purely based on the current path set by the management.
I'm worried more about Azeez, the way things are moving, I can't see him getting a chance anytime soon.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I'll be honest, I don't think there is even a 1% chance that Kido could make it here, probably will never even get a chance. That prediction is not made based on his talent, it's purely based on the current path set by the management.
I'm worried more about Azeez, the way things are moving, I can't see him getting a chance anytime soon.
I don't completely disagree with your stance here. It's very possible. I think with the current management, there's a chance that none of the guys coming up could make it despite being immensely talented. And it that's the case, they should all be sacked. Except Mertesacker and his team, because they're the only ones doing their job properly.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
I don't completely disagree with your stance here. It's very possible. I think with the current management, there's a chance that none of the guys coming up could make it despite being immensely talented. And it that's the case, they should all be sacked. Except Mertesacker and his team, because they're the only ones doing their job properly.
Completely forgot about Mert, always thought that he is well respected and hopefully once he says that someone is ready, we could see players coming in. It's all our wishes at the moment, very little going on in favour of our academy boys

avenellroad

John Radford’s son
Got a feeling Arsenal want to have their cake and eat it with Azeez.

Don’t want to send him out on loan but not in a position to give him minutes in the first team either (we’ll see).

Guess they don’t want to send him out on loan as if he performs well, potential suitors will be in his ear guaranteeing him a first team spot.

Really don’t trust Arteta and Edu to blood any of the youngsters in properly. They got lucky with Saka (developed by Emery) and Smith Rowe.

REEVIE1995

If Azeez doesn't get game time in the 2nd round of the Carabao later this month and doesn't subsequently go on loan it will be very concerning. He needs to be playing mens football at some stage this season. With Partey's injury then he should hopefully get a chance.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Azeez. Bandeira. Patino. Henry-Francis. Sweet.

Blimey.
Could add Bradley Ibrahim to that list too. Looks impressive every time I see him.

The attack at U18 level is looking pretty decent with Richards, Green, Sagoe Jnr and Cozier-Duberry on the horizon.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Could add Bradley Ibrahim to that list too. Looks impressive every time I see him.

The attack at U18 level is looking pretty decent with Richards, Green, Sagoe Jnr and Cozier-Duberry on the horizon.
Excited about the two new coaches. Think a few players still need to be moved out, either on loan or permanent deals. Likes of Dinzeyi, Akinola, Lewis, Cottrell and Lopez.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Excited about the two new coaches. Think a few players still need to be moved out, either on loan or permanent deals. Likes of Dinzeyi, Akinola, Lewis, Cottrell and Lopez.
Akinola is supposed to be going on loan, but he survives purely because he's the only midfielder that primarily does defensive work. Patino/Azeez together will probably ship a few goals even though they're both adept at playing #6 because neither is stereotypically defensive.

I agree though, there's a lot of space that needs to be made for some of the better players.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

After a strong couple of games in pre-season and a first call-up to the England u17s, Amario Cozier-Duberry looks ready to make an impact at whichever age group the Arsenal academy want to use him in this year.

16-year-old Cozier-Duberry first came onto the radar in the upper levels of the Arsenal academy this year in March, when he made a brief substitute appearance for the u18s against Reading.

Omari Hutchinson stole the headlines that day, as he so often did last season, but young Cozier-Duberry had his part to play with some nice touches in the build-up to Arsenal’s equalising goal.

The England youth setup had already taken notice of him by that stage, and he did nothing to disappoint them in his call-up for the u16s in April. England may have lost 3-2 to Wales on the day, but Cozier-Duberry scored one of their goals and assisted the other.

Returning to Arsenal, the youngster went on to provide his first u18 club assist in another appearance against Reading, before scoring his first goal against Aston Villa. He also whipped in a corner leading to another goal. All having still not made a single start at u18 level.

Between the Arsenal u18s and the England u16s, Cozier-Duberry had at least some part to play in six goals in around 200 minutes on the pitch.

Unsurprisingly, Arsenal made the versatile teenager part of their scholarship intake for this season, and he’s continued to make an impact in pre-season.

Capable of playing in attacking midfield or on the wings, but still waiting for his first Arsenal u18 start, Cozier-Duberry went and scored his first goal for the u23s in an appearance against Bromley. It was a very nice goal as well, touching the ball away from a sliding tackle before firing into the bottom corner from outside the box.

Arsenal were not at the races that day, hardly creating a chance before Cozier-Duberry came on. But within minutes he’d forced a diving save after easily beating the left-back, and he had his goal not long afterwards.

Back with the u18s and finally in the starting lineup against Hendon FC, the youngster set up another goal in a 3-1 win. Once again, it wasn’t just an assist, but an impressive one that required excellent close control and awareness.

By the time the next round of pre-season fixtures rolled around, Cozier-Duberry was out of the team again, but for good reason. Over recent days he’s been taking part in an England u17 training camp, Arsenal’s sole representative at the event.

Cozier-Duberry is on the smaller side even at u18 level, though it’s possible he still has some growing to do given his age. But if anything, that’s actually working in his favour at the moment, allowing him the agility and balance that a low centre of gravity affords.

A left-footer, Cozier-Duberry could end up being a natural replacement for Hutchinson on the right-wing in the u18s this season. His flair and goal threat in his cameos so far certainly draw those comparisons, as was the case with Hutchinson and Bukayo Saka before him.

Another possibility is a more fast-tracked route up into the u23s. A more likely opening at that level would be in attacking midfield, with Ben Cottrell up for a loan.

Either way, Cozier-Duberry certainly seems to have the quality to make a difference in the final third. Particularly in games where there isn’t much space in which to operate. That’s a valuable attribute, so the England youth international is sure to get plenty of opportunities this season.

Thought Lewis and Akinola were reserves signings that would enable us to send the bigger talents on loan. Shows how horrendous work Mertesacker has been doing. Everything about reserves teams last year was terrible.

Will be interesting to see what we can do this season otherwise we should seriously start thinking about moving Mertesacker on.

Top Bottom