• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,736
  • Views 1,149,977

Ibadan

Thread Bump Police
He just got a goal lol. 1-0. Truthfully he's been an invisible part of a fairly dismal game. Not much quality or intensity from either side.

The Moroccan coaches are constantly heckling the officials for perceived English offences. The game in general seems oddly Moroccan biased, their fans are here shouting whenever their players perform anything well lol.

Ibadan

Thread Bump Police
After halftime... An invisible Patino performance is turning into a lacklustre one. He's been uncharacteristically sloppy on the ball, misplacing a high percentage of his passes. Part of me thinks this is due to England's set up, the team plays very direct. A lot of the play is bypassing Patino, rendering him uneffective.

Patino strikes me as someone who needs a plethora of touches to excel. Despite scoring the solitary goal, i've been unimpressed. Let's see what happens in the second half.

Ibadan

Thread Bump Police
Patino off, telly off. The performance didn't improve and was all around poor, that's a fact. The reasoning as to why is up for debate.

Something interesting (and novel) happened today. Due to his poor performances early on, his teammates stopped passing to him. They had no trust in his technical security. They had no trust in his ability to receive the ball when pressed, to contribute to counterattacks, to relieve opponent pressure, to recycle possession... all things Patino is usually great at.

This meant everything flowed through Chukwuemeka who was frankly sublime.

I've never Patino like this before. Also never seen him lose confidence in this way. Usually he's demanding the ball at all times. Perhaps he had tactical instructions not to.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Patino off, telly off. The performance didn't improve and was all around poor, that's a fact. The reasoning as to why is up for debate.

Something interesting (and novel) happened today. Due to his poor performances early on, his teammates stopped passing to him. They had no trust in his technical security. They had no trust in his ability to receive the ball when pressed, to contribute to counterattacks, to relieve opponent pressure, to recycle possession... all things Patino is usually great at.

I've never Patino like this before. Also never seen him lose confidence in this way. Usually he's demanding the ball at all times. Perhaps he had tactical instructions not to.
Chukwuemeka is too good for this tbh. He is ranked as one of the best 18 year old midfielders in Europe.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

he was so dominant
Villa fans were angry gerrard didn’t use him enough last season. He has great mix of technique and physical strength. I can imagine u20 he would physically bully them. He was more than holding his own physically in the pl the minutes he was getting

Afro Mugo

I'm relaxed about Patino.. Development is rarely linear and after being very dominant at academy level he's reached a point where he is having some bad Performances amidst some good ones. I remember at this level ..ESR was being overshadowed by the likes of Angel Gomes and Gibbs White . He will take many lessons from the bad days. Let's be patient with him. The talent is there.

teamsoutheast

This has been my one problem with Patino. Apart from his physicality, when things don't go well for him, he sometimes puts his head down and loses confidence. He needs to have more character and leadership if he's going to break into the first team at Arsenal. He needs that Steven Gerrard factor... Take a game by the scruff of the neck and win it for his team! Beautiful passer of the ball though when he's on form.

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
This has been my one problem with Patino. Apart from his physicality, when things don't go well for him, he sometimes puts his head down and loses confidence. He needs to have more character and leadership if he's going to break into the first team at Arsenal. He needs that Steven Gerrard factor... Take a game by the scruff of the neck and win it for his team! Beautiful passer of the ball though when he's on form.
I mean we saw Özil do that time and time again when he was here and many believed he was the most talented attacking mid of his generation. I believe Patino's mentality is okay.

Maybe not Saka level, but def better than some of the other young players in the academy. Also remember he is just returning from an injury.

I believe Patino has some of the Sambi Lokonga issues off the ball. Both don't seem to have the instincts and timing to snuff out danger.

Patino does dive into tackles like Wilshere which is not good for a player with his physical limitations.

To me it's his off ball work, lack of burst, over reliance on his strong peg and sometimes suspect first touch under duress that are my concerns with him. But when you watch him consistently you can see the innate talent.

He can do things you can't teach. The way he reads the game, his passing technique, vision and ability to glide past players when on song is special.

Ibadan

Thread Bump Police
I'm relaxed about Patino.. Development is rarely linear and after being very dominant at academy level he's reached a point where he is having some bad Performances amidst some good ones. I remember at this level ..ESR was being overshadowed by the likes of Angel Gomes and Gibbs White . He will take many lessons from the bad days. Let's be patient with him. The talent is there.
I mean we saw Özil do that time and time again when he was here and many believed he was the most talented attacking mid of his generation. I believe Patino's mentality is okay.

Maybe not Saka level, but def better than some of the other young players in the academy. Also remember he is just returning from an injury.

I believe Patino has some of the Sambi Lokonga issues off the ball. Both don't seem to have the instincts and timing to snuff out danger.

Patino does dive into tackles like Wilshere which is not good for a player with his physical limitations.

To me it's his off ball work, lack of burst, over reliance on his strong peg and sometimes suspect first touch under duress that are my concerns with him. But when you watch him consistently you can see the innate talent.

He can do things you can't teach. The way he reads the game, his passing technique, vision and ability to glide past players when on song is special.
I share your beliefs about Patino's enduring qualities, I think the circumstances are favourable for his success at Arsenal. This match in particular doesn't define him, let's hope it's been a positive experience. I forgot he was coming back from an injury, that can influence things.

It's funny you mention his physical limitations. At one point, he lost the ball in midfield. It was hilarious watching him struggle as teammates higher up the pitch got back to dispossess the opposition. At some point, a serious discussion about how his physical limitations hinder his ceiling may be necessary.

It was certainly troubling to see him lose confidence. Perhaps it was partly due to him being outside his comfort zone. The Arsenal u16's,18's,21's,23's were his teams, designed to utilise his singular talents. It's been some time since he wasn't explicitly valued in the setup.

But like I said, I'm not worried about him. I really believe the stars are aligned for him to succeed here. There's relatively limited senior competition in his preferred position (by Arsenal standards), he's at a club that relies on it's youth prospects, and he's blessed with a manager that appreciates his qualities.

Apart from Nwaneri and his particularly unique circumstances, Patino is the only academy graduate Arteta has debuted in a professional game.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

I don’t get why some of you are so certain he will make it here. As talented as he is he seem to lack physical attributes

Geofranco

I don’t get why some of you are so certain he will make it here. As talented as he is he seem to lack physical attributes
It's not certain any young player will make it. He just has the raw talent to make it if the stars align for him. His vision, passing technique and range are not things that easy to come by. He is the type of player you need to be patient with and allow to grow into his body. If anything he'll become stronger and hopefully more durable. Don't think he is gonna get quicker or more explosive. It took Thomas Partey years to become a top player. In his early 20s he was still Bambi on ice.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

It's not certain any young player will make it. He just has the raw talent to make it if the stars align for him. His vision, passing technique and range are not things that easy to come by. He is the type of player you need to be patient with and allow to grow into his body. If anything he'll become stronger and hopefully more durable. Don't think he is gonna get quicker or more explosive. It took Thomas Partey years to become a top player. In his early 20s he was still Bambi on ice.
Time which he won’t get here. Arsenal is not gonna wait for a kid when they can get ready made players. Chances are more than likely he has to go somewhere and make a career for himself. Outside of saka who has made last decade from the academy? Even Esr is on very thin ice as we are being linked with players in his position

Geofranco

Time which he won’t get here. Arsenal is not gonna wait for a kid when they can get ready made players. Chances are more than likely he has to go somewhere and make a career for himself. Outside of saka who has made last decade from the academy? Even Esr is on very thin ice as we are being linked with players in his position
They'll be patient with him if they believe in his potential. It's really that simple. It's hard to come by CMs with his potential.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

They'll be patient with him if they believe in his potential. It's really that simple. It's hard to come by CMs with his potential.
We are scouting lovro majer a ready made 24 year old in his position. I say he has 10% to make it at best and he needs injuries open the door for him

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

What does this even mean? We are scouting many players in each position every day.
It means at the highest level clubs are not waiting for youngster to mature. Unless they are truly exceptional they not gonna make it here and has to go to lower level. James Garner at United is perfect example. Very good young player who done well on loan. Eventually sold on

Top Bottom