• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,736
  • Views 1,149,876

It means at the highest level clubs are not waiting for youngster to mature. Unless they are truly exceptional they not gonna make it here and has to go to lower level. James Garner at United is perfect example. Very good young player who done well on loan. Eventually sold on

Yes we also move players on and are not waiting for them.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

Cozier-Duberry again. Having a great season so far, even better than last. Looking increasingly dangerous on either wing now as well as being a promising CM. What a talent.

Afro Mugo

It means at the highest level clubs are not waiting for youngster to mature. Unless they are truly exceptional they not gonna make it here and has to go to lower level. James Garner at United is perfect example. Very good young player who done well on loan. Eventually sold on
I think even with Arteta being less of a youth guy than his predecessors, we can all agree that with Arsenal there is always a better chance that a youngster may make through. We have more patience and intent than other bug six clubs. Having said that, nobody is saying Patino is a sure bet to make it. However he has all the raw attributes to be an Arsenal player especially in the right system which don't expose his weaknesses. We often forget many top players were nowhere near world class at the age of 18/19/. His rise won't be as fast as Saka who amongst other factors, is physically gifted which enables him standout amongst men at a very young age. Patino has important attributes , such as game intelligence, which is difficult to teach, and is very crucial at the highest level. Wenger often said the ball moves faster than the man hence why technical intelligent players often play at a higher level and last longer in the game.

Afro Mugo

Cozier-Duberry again. Having a great season so far, even better than last. Looking increasingly dangerous on either wing now as well as being a promising CM. What a talent.
Im actually interested to know how tall the kid is. From pictures he looks really short and I'm slowly becoming a big big fan..Ive been very impressed with his drive and intensity aside from his technical ability. However I fear him being under 5'6" may limit his ceiling at the top level.

avenellroad

John Radford’s son
I mean we saw Özil do that time and time again when he was here and many believed he was the most talented attacking mid of his generation. I believe Patino's mentality is okay.

Maybe not Saka level, but def better than some of the other young players in the academy. Also remember he is just returning from an injury.

I believe Patino has some of the Sambi Lokonga issues off the ball. Both don't seem to have the instincts and timing to snuff out danger.

Patino does dive into tackles like Wilshere which is not good for a player with his physical limitations.

To me it's his off ball work, lack of burst, over reliance on his strong peg and sometimes suspect first touch under duress that are my concerns with him. But when you watch him consistently you can see the innate talent.

He can do things you can't teach. The way he reads the game, his passing technique, vision and ability to glide past players when on song is special.
He is a great talent but I wonder if his weak off the ball game will be the undoing of him, especially with the way Premier League football is played these days. You can’t afford someone who is only good on the ball.

Taking someone like Gavi at Barca (year younger than Patino age wise) - works like a dog off the ball and has the required quality on it. Unless a player has an absolutely outstanding attribute or two which lets you get away with it, there is no getting away from possessing a rounded game these days at the top level. Not saying Patino can’t bring this side of the game up to scratch, but he will need to show steep improvement in his game off the ball if he wants to play the deep lying midfield position here.

Have similar reservations with Azeez although he is physically more able to compete.

avenellroad

John Radford’s son

Him again. I don't think his size is gonna be as much of an issue as people might think.
He’s a serious prospect. Just so efficient with everything he does on the pitch and with a purpose too. My favourite player at the moment in the academy.

Arteta should give him a chance in the Carling Cup. Cozier-Duberry could have a Saka like impact

Edit: Just watching that video, the way he spins players twice his size is his trademark.

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
He’s a serious prospect. Just so efficient with everything he does on the pitch and with a purpose too. My favourite player at the moment in the academy.

Arteta should give him a chance in the Carling Cup. Cozier-Duberry could have a Saka like impact

Edit: Just watching that video, the way he spins players twice his size is his trademark.
Great link up player. Agile, great balance and pretty good pace. He also seems to be adding more goals to his game.

Ibadan

Thread Bump Police
With current injuries, ACD might well be our 5th choice winger lol. With Nelson's likely rustiness following his recovery, perhaps even 4th choice. I do admit, our lack of depth in certain positions is exciting as it means more Hale End graduates might get chances

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
How tall do you guys think Nwaneri is? I can’t really tell if he’s relatively tall like 176-180 cm or if he’s more 170-175, because he has kind of a low, bent posture on the pitch to give good center of gravity.

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
How tall do you guys think Nwaneri is? I can’t really tell if he’s relatively tall like 176-180 cm or if he’s more 170-175, because he has kind of a low, bent posture on the pitch to give good center of gravity.
He looks around 5'8/5'9. He is still 15, so he can easily grow another 2 inches in the next couple of years.

Afro Mugo

When he was stood with Martinelli they were about the same height with Martinelli being about 5'10"/5'11" and he's still 15.. so he probably will be about 6 feet by the time he's fully mature .

Afro Mugo

I mean we saw Özil do that time and time again when he was here and many believed he was the most talented attacking mid of his generation. I believe Patino's mentality is okay.

Maybe not Saka level, but def better than some of the other young players in the academy. Also remember he is just returning from an injury.

I believe Patino has some of the Sambi Lokonga issues off the ball. Both don't seem to have the instincts and timing to snuff out danger.

Patino does dive into tackles like Wilshere which is not good for a player with his physical limitations.

To me it's his off ball work, lack of burst, over reliance on his strong peg and sometimes suspect first touch under duress that are my concerns with him. But when you watch him consistently you can see the innate talent.

He can do things you can't teach. The way he reads the game, his passing technique, vision and ability to glide past players when on song is special.
I watched the Blackpool vs Sunderland game and it seems the Championship was what Patino needed to evolve. Blackpool had a difficult first half but Patino took control of the game in the second half. He was setting the tempo, like an orchestra instructor. Everything good for Blackpool went through him which speaks levels of how he's already gained the trust of senior pros at his tender age. I think he almost scored from two direct corners plus he made about 9 ball recoveries, and as the deepest lying midfielder his passing stood out. He also did his trademark glides past players with ease. He still made one or two sliding tackles which I believe he will become better at it with experience.
Appleton spoke very very highly of him after the game especially on his ablity to set the tempo at such a young age plus how good he is/was on the ball. He also spoke of how its rare for a player that young to be able to play as a 6/8/10, and be that good on the ball . IMO last season was just a bad season for Charlie by his standards. I think him undergoing that fitness regime to fill out slightly affected his game. I must say he's grown really big from the last time I watched him. He is normally very secure with the ball even under pressure. The championship is a really physical league and surprisingly, it seems to be refining his game.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Who's Cirjan? He was on the bench in the EL.
Catalin Cirjan, Romanian attacking midfielder. We signed him to a scholarship a few years ago. Very technical player, talented in general. Just recovered from a serious injury that kept him out for over a year.

bergholt

Catalin Cirjan, Romanian attacking midfielder. We signed him to a scholarship a few years ago. Very technical player, talented in general. Just recovered from a serious injury that kept him out for over a year.

Presumably nowhere near starting but Arteta was just giving him a little boost?

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
He's a talented player. Was named on the Guardian list a couple years back as our biggest prospect for that year. Whether that was right or not he's definitely talented. For his age and talent level it makes sense he's the closest to the first team of our youth, though Nwaneri, Cozier-Duberry, and Lewis-Skelly perhaps have bigger futures.

Ibadan

Thread Bump Police
I watched the Blackpool vs Sunderland game and it seems the Championship was what Patino needed to evolve. Blackpool had a difficult first half but Patino took control of the game in the second half. He was setting the tempo, like an orchestra instructor. Everything good for Blackpool went through him which speaks levels of how he's already gained the trust of senior pros at his tender age. I think he almost scored from two direct corners plus he made about 9 ball recoveries, and as the deepest lying midfielder his passing stood out. He also did his trademark glides past players with ease. He still made one or two sliding tackles which I believe he will become better at it with experience.
Appleton spoke very very highly of him after the game especially on his ablity to set the tempo at such a young age plus how good he is/was on the ball. He also spoke of how its rare for a player that young to be able to play as a 6/8/10, and be that good on the ball . IMO last season was just a bad season for Charlie by his standards. I think him undergoing that fitness regime to fill out slightly affected his game. I must say he's grown really big from the last time I watched him. He is normally very secure with the ball even under pressure. The championship is a really physical league and surprisingly, it seems to be refining his game.

Great insight, thank you. How was he doing in duels? Aerially? on the ground?

Players like Gundogan, David Silva aren't blessed with particularly robust physiques but they knew how to position themselves to win their duels. Hopefully he can develop like that.

I dislike his tendency to slide into challenges.

Top Bottom