• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

German Football 2018/19

asukru

Established Member

Player:Martinelli
Super happy for Reiss, hope he will excel here when he comes back!

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Dortmund are a chance to win the league with Favre.

Seems Favre finally has the allround quality in his squad to pull off his style of play and actually win things. Would love for it to happen.

BobP

Memri Fan
Seems Favre finally has the allround quality in his squad to pull off his style of play and actually win things. Would love for it to happen.

What impresses me the most about him is how quickly he adapts.

He comes in and immediately gets the team performing to a great standard.

If Dortmund can avoid any serious injuries to key players (I'm looking at you Reus), they can absolutely pull it off.

Toby

What impresses me the most about him is how quickly he adapts.

He comes in and immediately gets the team performing to a great standard.

If Dortmund can avoid any serious injuries to key players (I'm looking at you Reus), they can absolutely pull it off.

Maybe perform is the wrong word...He definitely gets his offensive tactics to work incredibly fast, whether at Gladbach, Nice or now at Dortmund. And at BvB he now seems to have attackers at hand who have enough quality to create more clear cut chances and consistently score from them. Against Stuttgart Dortmund had 4 clear cut chances and scored them all. So the xG is still comparably low to other top clubs but they create more chances in comparison to Gladbach or Nice - which is why they outscore the opponent to win instead of loose. Overall the defense is still shaky, especially when fiercely pressed high up, which was evident against Augsburg. Right now they create a good number of good chances and are very efficient at putting these away, but both will probably fall during the season, so Favre defo has to work on defensive stability as down the line they wont be able to consistently put 3 or 4 past opposition or only face Bundesliga cannon fodder.

So his offensive game paired with Dortmund's attacking quality and the quickness of how he implemented that is absolutely astonishing. But the defence is still shaky and a work in progress.

BobP

Memri Fan
Maybe perform is the wrong word...He definitely gets his offensive tactics to work incredibly fast, whether at Gladbach, Nice or now at Dortmund. And at BvB he now seems to have attackers at hand who have enough quality to create more clear cut chances and consistently score from them. Against Stuttgart Dortmund had 4 clear cut chances and scored them all. So the xG is still comparably low to other top clubs but they create more chances in comparison to Gladbach or Nice - which is why they outscore the opponent to win instead of loose. Overall the defense is still shaky, especially when fiercely pressed high up, which was evident against Augsburg. Right now they create a good number of good chances and are very efficient at putting these away, but both will probably fall during the season, so Favre defo has to work on defensive stability as down the line they wont be able to consistently put 3 or 4 past opposition or only face Bundesliga cannon fodder.

So his offensive game paired with Dortmund's attacking quality and the quickness of how he implemented that is absolutely astonishing. But the defence is still shaky and a work in progress.

Favre's teams have always outperformed their xG though.

This is a good article from a few seasons back:

https://saturdaysoncouch.wordpress....osing-expg-models-or-luckiest-team-in-europe/

There was also some analysis done when he was at OGC Nice but I can't seem to find the articles.

Also, I'd trust Favre to figure things out on the defensive end.

Toby

Favre's teams have always outperformed their xG though.

This is a good article from a few seasons back:

https://saturdaysoncouch.wordpress....osing-expg-models-or-luckiest-team-in-europe/

There was also some analysis done when he was at OGC Nice but I can't seem to find the articles.

Also, I'd trust Favre to figure things out on the defensive end.

I know, that's his style.

But it basically used to be like this: xG ~ 1, actually scored 2 but conceded 3. Now with the quality at Dortmund xG is still outperformed but both numbers are higher, xG has risen and they actually score more goals.

Toby

On a slightly different note re: the current Bayern situation...

I'm kind of gutted it's already a lost battle for Niko Kovac while Bayern's current state is not too much down to him. I very much rate him as a talented young manager, he's shown he can do something with a squad at Frankfurt.

Going from a very defensive minded counter attacking team to the league's most dominant team heavily reliant on possession play perhaps wasn't the best/right step for him in his development as a manager - maybe more time at Frankfurt trying to develop their style or a slightly more dominant Bundesliga team like Leverkusen or Gladbach would been a smarter choice down the road.

On the other hand, early season signs did show a neat offensive game with more urgency and directness than under Ancelotti. Kovac then lost Coman as well as Tolisso, who were probably their early season standout performers.

Furthermore, the Bayern hierarchy's squad planning is like a backpack pulling them under water. Robben and Ribery are way past it, especially in terms of fitness and athleticism, but are still revered as heroes by the management and still maintain their self confidence of being dead set starters for the club. Lewandowski has continuously professed his urge to leave, now more sulking than playing, and has shown signs of regress, going into hiding in big games and missing sitters - they missed the right time to move him on. Muller has been looking for his form for years, but his past success, being a home grown Bayern boy and a fan favourite has made him a revered and unquestioned persona for the hierarchy. And just like Robbery, he isn't anywhere self critical enough to question his claim to being a starter. Truth is, out of form he's useless and holding the club back. He can't play on the wing 'cause he lacks technique and pace, he can't play in the middle 'cause he's lacks general footballing ability and passing. Bayern also theoretically have the players to replace him, but due to his standing at the club he's still played, which means James gets shifted to wherever Muller doesn't play and Gnabry has to ride the bench. Alaba has stagnated for a few seasons, Kimmich needs a lot of shielding to play his rightback game or he exposes the defense, Hummels and especially Boateng have been on downward trajectories for a while now. The former plays like he's mentally done with pro football and gets ready for Munich pundit/celebrity/TV life; Boateng has just suffered too many injuries, is involved in multiple off field business ventures and rumoured to have some sort of problem in his private life.

After the recent press conference I don't think there's any need to comment on Rummenigge, Hoeness and Salihamidzic, their warped view of reality and sense of self and club perception. Count in their ill advised squad planning I described above and you get a situation for which Kovac is rather innocent. Maybe Tuchel would have been a better fit for the kind of football they want/have to play, but the weird squad planning would still be a problem. With urgengy, directness and strong mentality Kovac brings tools to the table Bayern actually desperatly lack, which is why I don't doom him an absolute misfit.

Their problems are self made by their management and I think it's unfortunate in the end Kovac will be the one blamed and burned in public.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
VAR to Hertha Berlin's rescue there...denying Jadon Sancho a Ramsey-esque goal.

Dortmund look quite a prospect this season.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
Sancho getting a standing ovation on his departure....

13 games

5 goals, 8 assists.

The young man is on fire...

Arsenal1508

Mods are unethical! Özil, come assist me please!
We should have tried harder for Sancho.
Just imagine him and Reiss on opposite sides of the wing.

Henry-Anelka would be partnership :(

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
We should have tried harder for Sancho.
Just imagine him and Reiss on opposite sides of the wing.

Henry-Anelka would be partnership :(

He wouldn’t be doing what he’s doing now if he’d joined us after leaving City, is the honest truth. He needed to go there to develop. How long he’ll be there is another matter, no reason why Arsenal can’t be in the race for his signature.

Incidentally I don’t think he’ll cost Dembele money, I think that was sort of a freak deal inflated due to the Neymar deal. Sancho could still be expensive, but not prohibitively so.

NieThePiet

Loves Overhyping Our Rivals
So stupid dropped points for Dortmund.

Had enough chances for a third one, Paco would have scored at least 2 probably. Then in the last minutes Hertha was close to the equalizer and got it..

NieThePiet

Loves Overhyping Our Rivals
Okay, Hoffenheim is destroying Stuttgart now.

3 goals in 12 minutes after the half.

Latest posts

Top Bottom