• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Germans get whooped by France

kajej

Great preformance by France, sometimes friendlies aren't taken seriously but this one sure was.. both teams wanted to show their potential as they are both considered world class opposition.
They both fielded their best squad.. there was even a little fight after Pires kicked Ballack...
Im tellin you Pires is really worying me, his behaviour is really dissapoiting sometimes.. specially for a player of his standards.
Trezeguet owes half his goals to Henry, he always seems to give him easy tap-ins after making an incredible run.

JGooner

France are the most overrated team in the history of international football, though this isn't to say that they are not a great team. They won World Cup 1998 because they played 11 zombies in the final, as a result of the Ronaldo incident. They were more deserving in Euro 2000 but were very, very lucky that the Italians missed chances in the final. When the luck finally ran out in World Cup 2002, they were made to look very silly indeedy. That they failed to even score a goal has already been forgotten by most people.

Their strength in depth is exaggerated beyond belief. People seem to be under the impression that they have a multiplicity of world class strikers. They don't. They have two - Henry and Trezeguet. So many French players are hyped up because of what they achieve in the french league, which is a weak league that has got weaker in recent years. Cisse is the best example of this phenomena - what the hell has he ever done at the elite level? One of the reasons for the hype is that football journalism is disproportionately dominated by the french. Their, er, lack of perspective is demonstrated every year by the fact that a ridiculous percentage of the nominations for the Balon D'or are french - including Sylvia Witless, for chrissakes.

France are an amazing team, to be sure. But we should stop pretending that they have far and away the best squad in the world. Holland are arguably better in terms of personnel (Van Der Vaart, Van Nistelrooy, Kluivert, Makaay, Davids, Seedorf, Van Bommel, Overmars, Stam, Van Der Saar, Van DeMeyde, etc have all proved themselves in either top leagues or at international level), so are Argentina, while Brazil are at least as good. Italy are another overrated team. We keep bashing ourselves because of our left-sided problem, but have you seen theirs? They don't even have a left back, let alone a left midfielder, which is why they want Maldini back.

Another thing before you put your hard-earned cash on France to win Euro 2004 - they have spent the past year playing junk teams because their qualifying group was so ridiculously easy, just as they prepared for the World Cup in 2002 by playing nothing games for two years. Remember the result?

Sammer

Established Member
JGooner said:
France are the most overrated team in the history of international football, though this isn't to say that they are not a great team. They won World Cup 1998 because they played 11 zombies in the final, as a result of the Ronaldo incident. They were more deserving in Euro 2000 but were very, very lucky that the Italians missed chances in the final. When the luck finally ran out in World Cup 2002, they were made to look very silly indeedy. That they failed to even score a goal has already been forgotten by most people.

Their strength in depth is exaggerated beyond belief. People seem to be under the impression that they have a multiplicity of world class strikers. They don't. They have two - Henry and Trezeguet. So many French players are hyped up because of what they achieve in the french league, which is a weak league that has got weaker in recent years. Cisse is the best example of this phenomena - what the hell has he ever done at the elite level? One of the reasons for the hype is that football journalism is disproportionately dominated by the french. Their, er, lack of perspective is demonstrated every year by the fact that a ridiculous percentage of the nominations for the Balon D'or are french - including Sylvia Witless, for chrissakes.

France are an amazing team, to be sure. But we should stop pretending that they have far and away the best squad in the world. Holland are arguably better in terms of personnel (Van Der Vaart, Van Nistelrooy, Kluivert, Makaay, Davids, Seedorf, Van Bommel, Overmars, Stam, Van Der Saar, Van DeMeyde, etc have all proved themselves in either top leagues or at international level), so are Argentina, while Brazil are at least as good. Italy are another overrated team. We keep bashing ourselves because of our left-sided problem, but have you seen theirs? They don't even have a left back, let alone a left midfielder, which is why they want Maldini back.

Another thing before you put your hard-earned cash on France to win Euro 2004 - they have spent the past year playing junk teams because their qualifying group was so ridiculously easy, just as they prepared for the World Cup in 2002 by playing nothing games for two years. Remember the result?

100% DISagreed JGooner.

I went to Gelsenkirchen yesterday to see Henry/Robert/Silvain play against the Nationalmannschaft.

I have never seen the french team in better shape. They have learned their lesson from WC 2002. As I watched the Scotts play the Dutch team just before I went to the game, your comparison between the two is not right.

The french defense was perfect. Its as simple as that. The team as a whole worked perfectly together, their switch from defense to offense and vice versa was so damn perfect, that the french team got major applause from the german audience.

Henry was just destroying our defense - Zidane and Robert were celebrating football at its best in midfield, while Makelele didn´t leave an inch of space for Ballack.
And - as I said - their defense was solid like a rock.

If this french team is able to keep this level, I can only see the Czechs and maybe Portugal seriously challenging them in the Euro 2004.

Sammer

Established Member
satan_beckham said:
why didnt mad jens play?khan is not on form now,even in the german league hes letting in alot of goals.

It´s because the coach, Rudi, and Jens are not best friends - plus: Kahn is a legend. He will only be replaced when things get really bad.

I agree though - performance-wise Jens should have played

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
Sammer said:
If this french team is able to keep this level, I can only see the Czechs and maybe Portugal seriously challenging them in the Euro 2004.

is the same Portugal team that lost to the USA in WC2002? cant see them really doing much damage..... the Czechs are decent though... they destroyed Holland...

JazzG

Established Member
JGooner, you really hate France don't you? You always moan about the french players at Arsenal and always moan at our french manager.

You keep going on about their weak group. England hardly a good group, they struggled in most of the matches they played. They couldn't beat Macedonia at home FFS. Yet the England fans think they are favs to win this competition. How many failures and hopeless attempts will it take until the english public realise your not all that?

Lets have a look at the french team. Here is a list of all their accomplished players. Coupet, Lizarazu, Sagnol, Gallas, Thuram, Desailly(abit old though), Candela, Zidane, Vieira, Makelele, Pires, Wiltord(he is good for them), Giuly(been superb in the CL), Petit, Trezguet, Anelka, Henry. They have a lot of youth players who are not proven but most big clubs in europe are after them, surely they can't be crap if teams like R.Madrid, Juve etc are after them....

Yes they are over-rated but they are damn good as well. The reason they sucked in the WC was because of their coach, he was an idiot. He didn't prepare them and it showed.

The dutch have some damn good players but don't have a good coach. They have always been like this....

Sammer

Established Member
I just hope they show the Germany-vs-France game on TV in the UK, so that JGOONER sees what this team is capable of doing.

If I ever saw a perfect team with no weaknesses, celebrating football at its highest level - it was the French team yesterday.

The whole stadium applauded the french team, simply because people realized, that this is a class of its own....

A

Anonymous

Sammer said:
I just hope they show the Germany-vs-France game on TV in the UK, so that JGOONER sees what this team is capable of doing.

If I ever saw a perfect team with no weaknesses, celebrating football at its highest level - it was the French team yesterday.

The whole stadium applauded the french team, simply because people realized, that this is a class of its own....
Remember when England beat Germany 5-1 and a real game?? nobody got all worked up about that game,what the hell is going on it was a friendly??????So what France 3 Germany 0.
Germany 2 France 0 sorry thats sick.

Andrew

myth said:
Sammer said:

Remember when England beat Germany 5-1 and a real game?? nobody got all worked up about that game,what the hell is going on it was a friendly??????So what France 3 Germany 0.

In case you haven't noticed, since the World Cup France have had a new coach. Since then they have consistently put in outstanding performances, won the confederations cup and won every single bloody qualifying game! Now, how else do you want France to show their form? They win all their qualifying games and then beat the runner-up (and best Euro nation) of the World Cup convincingly in style. What more do you want?

Arjan

Sammer said:

I heard you were singing wir gehen ohne holland zur EM????

:cry:

Sammer

Established Member
I wasnt.....but a lot of people were. :wink:

Still, I keep my fingers crossed for the Dutch team - it would be a shame if Holland would not be at the Euro 2004.

But I am sure that Kluivert & Co will thrash the Scotts sth. like 3-0.

Sammer

Established Member
myth said:
Sammer said:

I don´t get your point, since you probably have not seen the game. If you had, even a manU-****-supporter would have realized that this french team is up for sth. big.

Wait what they´ll do with Brasil in May 2004 (friendly in Paris)....

SF Gooner

is the same Portugal team that lost to the USA in WC2002? cant see them really doing much damage.

come on man. The US played great, but that was close to a fluke. Not saying that the US didn't deserve to win. But if the US and Portugal played 10 times US might win 3. Not putting anything past them but I wouldn't discount Portugal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom