• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gilberto Silva

jc8gooner

take a look at the players around that take on this role... Makalele

When I watch Makalele, I can actually see what he does. He works very hard for 90 minutes at closing down the opposition, his passing sets off almost every Chelsea attack, he shields the defence, he gives the ball to Lampard to do the more creative things.

When I watch Gilberto, I can honestly say that I do not see this. Sure, he does his fair share of things, but for me, he just doesn't do enough to warrant a place in the starting line-up ahead of Edu and Parlour every week.

i think he plays alot better for brazil cause they rely on him big time and players like ronaldo praise him all the time.

I couldn't give a **** how he plays for Brazil. If he doesn't play well enough for Arsenal, he doesn't deserve to make the starting line up every week.

I think that Gilberto isn't the type of central midfielder we need to partner Vieira to be perfectly honest, and we have never replaced Emmanuel Petit in this respect. The closest we have got, in my opinion, has been Edu. He provides balance to the midfield, is strong and skilful on the ball, has good vision and a range of passing, is strong in the tackle, works hard.

In central midfield, I see no reason why Arsène cannot rotate Edu, Parlour and Gilberto as Paddy's partner for a few games.

This is not to back up any of my points above, but I thought it might shed some light on the situation. Here is Arsenal's PREMIERSHIP record with Gilberto in the side and out of the side last season:
1)In the side- games played 31, won 20, drawn 7, lost 4
2)Out of side- games played 7, won 3, drawn 2, lost 2

Here is Arsenal's PREMIERSHIP record first with Gilberto and Vieira in the side and then with Vieira and Edu/Parlour last season:
1) PV & GS - games played 20, won 13, drawn 5, lost 2
2) PV & E/RP-games played 3, won 1, drawn 1, lost 1
Hmmmmm.....that doesn't prove much.

Here is Arsenal's PREMIERSHIP record with Edu and Vieira in CM in both the 2001/2002 season and the 2002/2003 season:
1) PV & E- games played 8, won 7, drawn 0, lost 1.
You might all be surprised to hear that Edu started only one game in CM with Paddy in the Prem last season- that was away to Southampton.

The last statistic just shows how set on Gilberto Wenger is, whether it be for good or bad. I just think there would be no harm in trying to vary the formula in Central midfield from time to time to see if the other partnerships are a success.

Thanks goes to the Arsenal programme for the above stats!

jc8gooner

Another possible midfield debate is this- Should we play 3 competitve midfielders out of Vieira, Edu, Gilberto and Parlour and one of either Freddie or Pires or Wiltord on the left or on the right?

This midfield system was employed often in the FA Cup last season and when Pires was injured March 2002 to Oct 2003.

Games when Edu, Parlour and Vieira started with either Freddie or Bobby or Wiltord in 2001/02 and then in 2002/2003 in all competitions:
1) 2001/02 Games played 5, won 5, drawn 0, lost 0
2) 2002/03 Games played 8, won 5, drawn 2, lost 1.

Andrew

On form at the moment it should be Vieira who's dropped and not Gilberto. I don't think that's going to happen, but either Edu and Parlour or both should be given a run in the first team.

satan_beckham

Gilberto dont deserved to be our first choice centre midfielder,i really dont know why wenger keep playing him when he obviously did not perform,i think best player to be Vieira partner is lauren,if u guys have forgeton,in lauren first season here where he played at the centre,he did scored a couple of goals,and we all know he can do good crosses and passes,so why not put in at the centre instead of at right back where he look unconfortable at.volz can play there...pls wenger better do something soon or else i dont think we will win the tittle

n_henry

satan_beckham said:
Gilberto dont deserved to be our first choice centre midfielder,i really dont know why wenger keep playing him when he obviously did not perform,i think best player to be Vieira partner is lauren,if u guys have forgeton,in lauren first season here where he played at the centre,he did scored a couple of goals,and we all know he can do good crosses and passes,so why not put in at the centre instead of at right back where he look unconfortable at.volz can play there...pls wenger better do something soon or else i dont think we will win the tittle

I agree...I can't say I agree with any great confidence, but simply, Gilberto doesn't bring enough to the table. Not saying he's done nothing for us (scored a few goals already, and has been great for us on some occasions), but he's just too inconsistent.

WOuldn't be a bad idea to try out Lauren in his place... and volz is doing well with Fulham...

vin de guerre

henry_14 said:
he is crap

gives the ball away to easly , especially near the defence

how on earth this guy played on a world cup winning team

what a ordinary player :eek:ops:
One thing is for sure and that is the amount of crap Henry-14 comes out with.
As for Gilberto. He does his job well and has shown a vast improvement in the areas he was lacking last season.
Just because you chose a hallowed name doesnt mean we need to accept your crap

wiltord11

Vieira is lacking match fitness at the moment once he gets 100% per cent fit the midfield will look good

and with so many games coming up in december he should rotate the centre of midfield so everyone keeps in good shape but wenger wont do this he will keep gilberto and Vieira in the centre as long as they are fit

Adam

Established Member
Gilberto's negative positioning emphasises the teams attitude to go on the back foot in these hard away games. It allows opposing CM's to dictate tempo, and leaves them space. He may get alot of blocks and interceptions - but that is because he has drawn the opposition onto him!

Parlour closes down early and presses higher up the pitch. If we had an offensive CM player, it would push their CM's further back; allowing us to impose our style of play onto the game by the space they give us. With Scholes at United - teams are weary of him and they drop deeper as they know he can be damaging to them from a CM position. Parlour/Edu are the closest we have to this, and Yaya is the future. Wouldn't Zizou be nice, huh? :wink:

Webdesignlab

Established Member
Bloody hell, it's Gilberto bashing time. But he has WON us at least two games this season already.

ALL the team were playing under par (except Lehamann who should win MOTM) so Gilbertso was exposed more than usual.

Leave all of them alone, Vieira is the one who should be the butt of our attacks, but really this is the only way for him to get fit. A fully fit Vieira and we will soon see things swinging again. I hope it comes soon. I must admit to been a little concerned with his performance.

Even Henry had a slack day, thats the game.

We will beat Wolves and Man City and all will be forgotten. Gilberto and Cygan (that didn't last long did it?) are again the targets.

Lauren probably next .. thats fans for you.

Adam

Established Member
You have made one correct point - a fully fit Vieira more than just about carries Gilberto.

Arsenal316

vin de guerre said:
henry_14 said:
he is crap

gives the ball away to easly , especially near the defence

how on earth this guy played on a world cup winning team

what a ordinary player :eek:ops:
One thing is for sure and that is the amount of crap Henry-14 comes out with.
As for Gilberto. He does his job well and has shown a vast improvement in the areas he was lacking last season.
Just because you chose a hallowed name doesnt mean we need to accept your crap

Agreed.

Top Bottom