• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gareth Southgate's England

Juan Matas Beard

Pronouns: dat, guy 🫶
Trusted ⭐

Fraud.

SingleUntriedBudgie.gif

GOONER1991

Established Member
Think that England were massively underwhelming last night and didn't show us any more of what we've seen already. For me, Hodgson bottled the team selection massively. He brought an abundance of attacking talent, but played Lallana and Sterling on the wings with Rooney in midfield. His set up yesterday isn't that different to how he set up in Brazil. Trying to shoehorn his captain in the team and try to make the team fit around him.

Rooney was underwhelming and people were going mad about his performance. This is what I hate about Rooney, a couple of balls drilled out to the wing for his YouTube compilation, and he's an automatic 7/10. He produced absolutely nothing yesterday.

Fans and pundits were lauding our attacking play yesterday, but I didn't see anything new. We ran a lot and we ran fast, the bare minimum expected from an England team, but in terms of creation what were there? A couple of volleys smashed at the keeper and some decent crosses across the face of the box. Not one really clear cut chance. The goal we did score was a powerful strike that the keeper should have saved.

With regards to the team selection, the back four are interchangeable barring one player - John Stones. Roy went full on negative with the team, as neither Cahill nor Smalling can carry the ball or play the first pass like Stones. In midfield, Dier was decent, but the Rooney - Alli balance just doesn't work. Alli is an all round midfielder, which is great, but he's not a bonafide creative player. He's like Ramsey, all round B2B. At Sp**s he has Eriksen who has the creative burden. At Arsenal Ramsey has Özil. Roy set up with Alli - Rooney - Lallana - Sterling. A lot of running and YouTube moments (Lallana Cruyff turn), but not one creative player in the team, no wonder Kane became so isolated. Wilshere came on and suddenly we saw some nice passing around the edge of the box, this is no coincidence. Negative substitutions were an issue as well,

Overall I think England pundits and fans are kidding themselves, and Roy is lucky the violence at the game has covered up how poor a result it was. Lose to Wales and England are in trouble.

SiMamu

Part time Leeds fan
At the end of the day, Dele Alli shines in a team where the only technically exceptional player is Christian Eriksen. Jack Wilshere shone in team with Cesc Fabregas, Samir Nasri, Andrey Arshavin and Tomas Rosicky.

The difference.

4R5Emaniac

Always fresh from Bangladesh
England should drop Delle Alli and Sterling next game and start Wilshere and Vardy. Push Rooney closer to Kane and Lallana left wing with Vardy from the right.

Sturridge ahead of Kane too, may be.

If like Slovakia they waste too much time passing around it could be a problem but if they attack direct to Welsh, quick they'll have trouble.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

I had to do it, it just didn't feel complete.

Turn the audio on.
What the **** was that anyhow? What is he trying to achieve with that? Even is he had hit it it would have rolled max. 5 feet. Think he is funny, but that was just plain pathetic in its idiocy.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

No love loss for England so my two cents is, they actually played well and should have been out of sight. The selection was bang on and if Lallana took one of his three chances that would have been it. Instead he missed three times and then bottled it every time he got around the goal.

Watching Germany last night it was very similar. Lots of possession, creating good chances just Ukraine smashed the bar instead of the net and Germany countered and ended up winning two nil rather than drawing one one.

England cannot afford to lose and may hope for a draw between Slovakia and Russia. If that happens it's all to play for in the final game. A Wales win and a win for either team leaves England struggling for third.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
No love loss for England so my two cents is, they actually played well and should have been out of sight. The selection was bang on and if Lallana took one of his three chances that would have been it. Instead he missed three times and then bottled it every time he got around the goal.

Watching Germany last night it was very similar. Lots of possession, creating good chances just Ukraine smashed the bar instead of the net and Germany countered and ended up winning two nil rather than drawing one one.

England cannot afford to lose and may hope for a draw between Slovakia and Russia. If that happens it's all to play for in the final game. A Wales win and a win for either team leaves England struggling for third.

Isn't that to be expected though? Hardly a goal machine at club level and I don't recall him ever scoring competitively for England.

Our strikers are our strongest asset and we should really be trying to get them as much game time as possible.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

I agree. Surprised Milner came on ahead of Vardy. And the lack of wide men is looking a concern. For all Walcotts awful attributes not taking him may come to haunt Roy.

Anyway Sterling off Vardy on was the right sub to make, high work rate and a good chance on the counter which was what England needed.

Re Lallana most midfielders aren't goal scorers, that's why they are in midfield, but he probably had his best chance after the third effort, coming in left to right and opted for the pass. Clearly lacked confidence.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
Kane taking corners has to be up there with one of the silliest pre-game decisions by Woy. And most of them he just floated them high up with no real danger in the box.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Don't think you'll see many changes. I think Sterling off for Vardy might be one, despite my opinions on Kanes performance on Saturday he'll almost certainly remain in the team.

Juan Matas Beard

Pronouns: dat, guy 🫶
Trusted ⭐

Re Lallana most midfielders aren't goal scorers, that's why they are in midfield, but he probably had his best chance after the third effort, coming in left to right and opted for the pass. Clearly lacked confidence.

He's playing as a right-sided forward, it's criminal that we have players with such poor end product playing there.

MaraDon

Wants you to learn about football
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
the guy is a puppet, its so clear he has no saying whatsoever in who gets called up, who gets on the starting line up and the bench, thats whats killing england national team, desitions are made by a board behind a desk based on 3 month form, they dont build a team.

NJRider

To be honest, I'm saying Vardy ahead of Sterling after the performance but was banging on about Sterling and Lallana starting for the past few days. Roy should have changed Sterling in the 2nd half for Vardy or at least when near the end when Russia were attacking..

It's all in context of the result though. If he'd played Vardy and we'd drawn the headline would have been "Vardy on the left!?!?!?!?"

Unless England win 4-0 then Roy and the chosen scapegoat players (Wilshere Sterling Rooney) will be moaned about.

I'm not saying sterling had an amazing game but I think a lot of fans are being very harsh on him. His final ball wasn't not there but ever since he got that move to City people seem to act as if he should be doing Messi level performances.

Russia were scared of him but it just didn't click for him at the vital moments. He played better than Kane imo but no ones talking about Kane's poor game.

BBF

If you're a manager with a brain, you utilise the strike force, put two upfront or put Rashford/Sturridge on the wing. Then you have Roy.

He's terrible, absolutely terrible. Even though Capello was a boring ****, he at least got results. If Roy wasn't beating top teams in meaningless friendlies at home, more casual fans will know how bad he is.

Top Bottom