• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gonzalo Higuain

Status
Not open for further replies.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

juice man said:
GDeep said:
'just pay up' - I'm sorry but real life, big business and negotiations don't work like that, especially after the price gets hiked up.

Football manager culture tbh.

This. Alot of people seem to think football transfers are done with monopoly money. 2-3 million dollars does make a difference to a club like Arsenal who earn their money.
By fleecing the fans, its our money they should just spend it and put all doubts to bed.

Still believe it will happen all the doubters don't realise history goes against their believes. Arteta, seasoned Premier League player, Podolski, seasonsed experienced German international, Mertesacker, see previous, Gervinho, international, Cazorla an experienced player who occasionally plays for the Spanish national team, Chamberlain young up and coming now an established English international, Monreal established experienced Spanish international, Giroud French national striker, etc etc. We haven't just talked the talk in recent seasons we have actually walked the walked, granted we have lost players, this season we have only lost the dross we have been trying to get rid of for years and still haven't signed anyone, yet have plenty of time left to do so. Patience is key, though I understand the frustrations when it seems we are getting bogged down in, what is relative to the end we operate in the football market as, semantics of 2-4m.

We are making the right noises and seasons gone by have shown we have delivered, only the delivery - as mentioned, is overshadowed by departures, we have and are unlikely to see anyone we want to keep actually leave.

Therapy Inc

I am of the belief that Higuain is a good player who has world-class potential but does not have world-class pedigree. I think it's pretty absurd that Real Madrid is asking £30m+ for their backup striker. Real Madrid knew the 'risks' they take when paying enormous transfer fees for backup players - they won't get that type of return back.

If they are asking for £30m, I'm perfectly fine walking away from the deal and moving on to Benteke. I'm not saying Benteke is better or worse than Higuain but Real Madrid is over valuing Higuain quite a bit. The truth is - Arsenal should play hardball right back and start requesting Higuain to make some more noise about the transfer.

blaze_of_glory

Yeah I don't see why we should bend over to Madrid for a player who wants out and who no one else appears to be after. Especially considering how early it still is in the window and our apparent willingness to chase other targets.

Lets just see how it all plays out.

ArseGod

I agree with Blaze. It's absurd that Real expect 30 Mill for their backup. As people said earlier on this thread, Pellegrini and Mourinho don't seem to be interested. We are the only top team in for him. I think it will come down to Higuain and whether or not he makes his position at Real untenable. He has to push the move through if he wants to join us. No one is going to pay more than 25 mill for Higuain.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Therapy Inc said:
I am of the belief that Higuain is a good player who has world-class potential but does not have world-class pedigree. I think it's pretty absurd that Real Madrid is asking £30m+ for their backup striker. Real Madrid knew the 'risks' they take when paying enormous transfer fees for backup players - they won't get that type of return back.

If they are asking for £30m, I'm perfectly fine walking away from the deal and moving on to Benteke. I'm not saying Benteke is better or worse than Higuain but Real Madrid is over valuing Higuain quite a bit.
If Real Madrid are over valuing Higuain then Aston Villa are over valuing Benteke. One season in the Premier League compared to a proven goal scorer consistently in a top league for a top top country with arguably the most deadly strikers on the planet and only a few million in between their valuation. If both are over valued one is seriously over valued and I know who that is.

ASAP Berg

Established Member
I agree. No way in hell is Higuain worth 30m. I am more than happy for this to drag on and Wenger to focus on other players maybe negotiate for Suarez/Rooney/Jovetic or whoever.

We cannot pay 30m for Higuain considering they favour Benzema anyway, and the player wishes to leave to get away from Perez. Now they are playing hard-ball with the wrong people. I rate Higuain but seriously Higuain for 30m vs Suarez for 40-45m I take Suarez every single time. Far more complete player and with his chance creation Podolski and Walcott would thrive even more than with Giroud.

caldeltatrojan

People on here putting on their economist caps is hysterical. F*ck how much it costs, I just want top players playing in red and white (and yellow and blue) next season.

GunnerGetYah

Established Member
Ok let's put it this way, he would be our biggest shirt seller by far, he would help us to win more, hence more sponsorship money (based on the clauses in Emirates deal), more prize money etc.

That is if you see him as a player who can help us to win. I believe he is such a player, but if he isn't then we shouldn't be buying him. We should only buy players who would help us to win and those players aren't worth quibbling over 2-3mil for, to be honest.

kofigunner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
GunnerGetYah said:
We should only buy players who would help us to win and those players aren't worth quibbling over 2-3mil for, to be honest.
Exactly! If many people don't think he's worth 30 mill then perhaps we shouldn't be after him. At Madrid, he's scored 122 times and assisted 46 times in 264 and this includes his first 2 seasons where he only scored 11 times combined. Not bad totals, considering that he wasn't the number 1 choice. I don't like Suarez as a person, but he's certainly more versatile and has more bite(couldn't resist) to his game, but if he's worth closer to 40 mill in today's market then Higuain is certainly around 30 mill given his body of work and his age.

darkgunner

jmsmtthw28 said:
@WaleedGudluks 20m
Arsenal will julio cesar & higuian by Sunday .. This has been confirmed to me by @AbouVDIABY at the mosque
This is going from bad to INSANE
:lol: :lol:

If Diaby really did say that and he is wrong, then he should be made to do an extra month of ramadan.

musicmonkey

Established Member
Imo i think everyone's trying to play each other at the moment. Pretty much every club is driving prices up to skim a few million more out of the buyers. Jovetic is being overpriced as are Benteke, Suarez, Villa when we wanted him and now Higuain. I'd bet it's the same with Fellaini and Baines since they haven't moved yet.

Personally i think some of the conspiracies that the Suarez bid is so the board can cover up a lack of transfers are rubbish too. Only realistic one is it's to rattle Madrid into thinking we're less interested in Higuain and to hit their target in Suarez. Given they want the Higuain cash to fund part of the move and we could spark a bidding war on Suarez or even nab him ourselves it makes sense. Madrid's response also points to this with Perez claiming we haven't bid on Higuain to try and get the fans to drive up the pressure on the club.

Imo every person getting frustrated and claiming we should just splash to get Higuain is playing straight into Madrid's hands.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Please. Club should have nipped it all in the bud instead of saying they are gonna do "things that will really excite you" and claim to be able to do more than Rooney.

Not on some tirade against the club or anything, I just really should have known better anyways, it has never been our style.

Arsenal will probably wait until the end of the window and make a late flurry of bids because all this stuff is just gas.
Now Suarez has gotten involved, silly season is in full swing and it's dawned on me that none of these players are coming- it's just gotten ridiculous.

mo50

Established Member
psycho said:
Please. Club should have nipped it all in the bud instead of saying they are gonna do "things that will really excite you" and claim to be able to do more than Rooney.

What would you have suggested the club say? "Oh no, we really don't have much money and we won't be going after the best players available to us". Do you realize the amount of backlash and uproar that would've taken place? That would've been a PR disaster. One thing I know Gazidis is good at is the PR department. He knows what to say and how to say it.

Top clubs are all aware of how much money everyone has, it's not much of a secret considering the financial information is available for them to read.

jerome2158

Established Member
I imagine it'd be less of a disaster than saying "after all these years of tight purse strings, we're ready to let loose and really build a team that will go places" then doing none of those things.

Really anything but strengthening the squad in a way that shows immediate ambition (Sanogo is good, but he isn't going to be a marquee signing leading us to trophies this season) is a massive failure on their part.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

mo50 said:
What would you have suggested the club say?
They could have have said all sorts, or at least whatever they have been saying for the past xx amount of years.

We were never signing Rooney, but then you got Ivan saying we can and Wenger saying "who wouldn't want Rooney", so what's the problem?

Talking big then ending the summer with Sanogo and whoever is just as bad, not saying they will.

I know how the club deals so I am okay with it, but they could have at least managed expectations a bit better.

You supposedly bidding 30m elsewhere, why not pay the 25? or whatever, it's just all a bit lame.

dpt49

Established Member
mo50 said:
What would you have suggested the club say? "Oh no, we really don't have much money and we won't be going after the best players available to us". Do you realize the amount of backlash and uproar that would've taken place? That would've been a PR disaster. One thing I know Gazidis is good at is the PR department. He knows what to say and how to say it.
I have to disagree with this.
If it is true we have money to spend and we are willing to spend it, then Gazidis should have kept his mouth shut.

We have seen Chelsea and Man City pay well over the odds for players because the selling club knows that they will pay it.

We have benefited from this by getting incredible fees for players like Adebayor Toure and Nasri so we can't complain. But we are renowned for being tight with our money, and always looking for bargains, so Gazidis bragging that we can buy Rooney and even players that are better has just alerted other clubs that we are loaded.

Gazidis being so bullish has made other clubs put up their prices as soon as we make enquiries, which is a PR disaster as far as I can make out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom